Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
    So let me get this straight.

They get shit loads of tax money from us, borrow fuck loads of bond money, get donations from box top programs all the way through the texas lottery, claim to not be able to afford toilet paper - getting parents to pay for that too. All of this to provide a piss poor education...... and STILL BE IN THE FUCKING RED?!?!

Nope. No problem there.
    Don't forget about underpaying teachers and nurses.

Comment

I see so much money mismanaged in schools, related to my field. I really, REALLY want to put my resident district on blast by asking questions that deserve public answers to the voting base. The problem is, if I do it, I'll never get any business from said district in the future. Though th questions I want to ask will likely mean the person in charge would be looking for a job, since the questions can not be answered reasonably. So I would lose business at whatever district that person lands at, too. Lose/lose situation for me.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        That's not much different than any corporate situation unfortunately. My wife is a teacher, and I've had discussions with her for years. The problem is the people running most school districts are educators that learned in the classroom teaching kids. They need business people running the district and the schools, not former teachers.
        I agree to a point. You still need former teachers for the education side of things. But putting business people in charge of what is taught, how it is taught, etc is not good for anyone. No different than politicians making these decisions like it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          I agree to a point. You still need former teachers for the education side of things. But putting business people in charge of what is taught, how it is taught, etc is not good for anyone. No different than politicians making these decisions like it is now.
          Determining curriculum and running the day to day business are two different things. I agree with you 100% on that aspect. The horror stories I hear about principals and superintendents and their decisions on business matters are largely because they possess classroom experience only.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            Don't forget about underpaying teachers and nurses.
            I can't speak for nurses, but most teachers are not underpaid. Again, my wife teaches, and she'll agree with me on this one. She is also one who spends a ton of hours at home grading papers and preparing for classes, not the PE teacher who does nothing outside of roll a ball out and watch the kids during class. Keep in mind most teachers work 9 months out of the year. If you prorate it out, many make upper 70's to 80K a year, often more. That's not too shabby, and is not underpaid.

Comment

I see so much money mismanaged in schools, related to my field. I really, REALLY want to put my resident district on blast by asking questions that deserve public answers to the voting base. The problem is, if I do it, I'll never get any business from said district in the future. Though th questions I want to ask will likely mean the person in charge would be looking for a job, since the questions can not be answered reasonably. So I would lose business at whatever district that person lands at, too. Lose/lose situation for me.
              Same here in my field as well. I do not want to get into details, but it's really bad.

RFP process seems crap too.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                I can't speak for nurses, but most teachers are not underpaid. Again, my wife teaches, and she'll agree with me on this one. She is also one who spends a ton of hours at home grading papers and preparing for classes, not the PE teacher who does nothing outside of roll a ball out and watch the kids during class. Keep in mind most teachers work 9 months out of the year. If you prorate it out, many make upper 70's to 80K a year, often more. That's not too shabby, and is not underpaid.
                wat? you're nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                  wat? you're nuts.
                  How do you figure? Please enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                    wat? you're nuts.
                    No shit, right!? Teachers don't get paid during the summer months unless 1) they're working or 2) they elect to have their pay lowered during the school year so that the district pays them the difference through the summer.

Comment

I don't know a single teacher who makes in the $70-80,000 range.

Comment

I don't know a single teacher who makes in the $70-80,000 range.
                        I think he means it different then it came out.

Lets say for example a teacher makes 55k/yr.

if they "only work 9 months" then 55k divided by 9 is 6111/mnth.

if they make that a month, in nine months,then at that rate of pay, if worked 12 months, would be 73k.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

He said prorated, salary divided by .75

$55k = $73k.
                          Originally posted by davbrucas
                          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            I think he means it different then it came out.

Lets say for example a teacher makes 55k/yr.

if they "only work 9 months" then 55k divided by 9 is 6111/mnth.

if they make that a month, in nine months,then at that rate of pay, if worked 12 months, would be 73k.
                            I know what he meant; but it is completely irrelevant considering they don't work 12 months a year.

Comment

I know what he meant; but it is completely irrelevant considering they don't work 12 months a year.
                              Eh, my wife does, but that includes curriculum writing for the district and/or summer school, depending on if she has the ability. Both of those are extra income and voluntary.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                                Eh, my wife does, but that includes curriculum writing for the district and/or summer school, depending on if she has the ability. Both of those are extra income and voluntary.
                                Exactly. Extra income, meaning she is being paid for it. That isn't offered to all teachers. And in reality, I'd be willing to bet a very small minority are offered that chance. I'd be surprised if the pay was at the same rate as the school year pay as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X