That's two Texas Electors not voting for Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's two Texas Electors not voting for Trump

I guess after reading this I'm not sure what the purpose is of signing a pledge to vote for your parties nominee, if it's not legally binding. What's the point?

AUSTIN, Texas – A Republican member of the Electoral College from Texas said Monday that he won't cast one of his state's 38 electoral votes for Donald Trump because "I am here to elect a president, not a king."

Dallas paramedic Chris Suprun previously indicated he would support Trump. But he now says the president-elect's postelection attacks on the First Amendment and the country's electoral process, as well as the billionaire businessman's continued promotion of his brand and business interests overseas, changed his mind.

Texas law doesn't mandate that electors vote according to the results of the state's presidential election, which Trump won by nine percentage points over Hillary Clinton. Suprun and the GOP's other electors signed pledges at the state Republican convention in Dallas this summer promising to vote for their party's nominee, but those aren't legally binding.

"I'm expecting backlash, but that has been par for the course this campaign. People are unhappy. They're angry. But I'm angry, too," said Suprun, who said that prior to changing his mind he had received hundreds of emails, letters and phone calls urging him not to support Trump.

Suprun said the Electoral College system "is fine as it currently exists." His problem is just with its winner.

"I was told if we elected Donald Trump he would transform his personality into being presidential. He isn't," Suprun said. "I wanted him to be presidential, but since the election he hasn't grown into our institution, he's attacked them. I am here to elect a president, not a king."

Another Texas Republican elector, Art Sisneros, resigned last week rather than vote for Trump. Electors will vote to replace Sisneros when they convene Dec. 19 in Austin and in state capitals across the country to vote for president.

Suprun said he was not resigning but also won't be voting for Hillary Clinton.

"I am not sure of who I will vote for, but would have to strongly consider someone like (Ohio Gov. John) Kasich who has both executive and legislative experience bringing people together," he said.

Suprun said he was waiting to see if other electors will revolt and rally behind a Trump alternative like Kasich.

"I'm looking for someone we can all unify behind," he said.
    A Republican member of the Electoral College from Texas said Monday that he won't cast one of his state's 38 electoral votes for Donald Trump because "I am here to elect a president, not a king."

So, he's part of the swamp...
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

"I'm fine with the system... (but am going to take a giant shit on it)"

Comment

Fuck him, it'll probably be the last vote he doesn't cast.

Comment

I would be willing to bet that in the next time Texas Legislature meets they pass a Mandate to make the Electors Vote the will of the people.

Comment

Dallas paramedic Chris Suprun previously indicated he would support Trump. But he now says the president-elect's postelection attacks on the First Amendment and the country's electoral process, as well as the billionaire businessman's continued promotion of his brand and business interests overseas, changed his mind.

Texas law doesn't mandate that electors vote according to the results of the state's presidential election, which Trump won by nine percentage points over Hillary Clinton. Suprun and the GOP's other electors signed pledges at the state Republican convention in Dallas this summer promising to vote for their party's nominee, but those aren't legally binding.

Typical Lying POS Liberal, His word means nothing.

Comment

Perfectly legal, and is exactly how the electoral college was intended to be used, well, partially anyways. It was there to give small states a voice in the election and make everyone matter acrosz the country, and also as a last resort to stop someone from getting into office who shouldn't be there, to prevent a dicator from taking office, although it has never changed an election resuot as far as I know. I seem to recall a recent thread where people were praising the electoral college, but suddenly when it is utilized people complain. Like his actions or not, it is legal and has happened before. If I recall the few times people have voted against their State results it was just a few at a time and didn't affect anything except the elector's own career.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I've always been in favour of the electoral college myself, no matter how this election year turns out. Outside attempts at meddling with the electors seems to be more pronounced this year, but then again it's the mainstream media reporting such and "news" outlets this year have often been demonstrated to be outright liars.

Comment

One is resigning as elector, and one is refusing to vote for Trump or Clinton. Neither is a real problem. But if the day comes where electors collude to overturn the popular mandate, there will be hell to pay.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I guess this F'n braniac doesn't understand the fact that we had two choices... and we chose the lesser of two evils.

His (Trump's) arrogance and brash style turns off many people, but that's what it took to beat the overtly corrupt Dems & MSM that have driven this Country to the breaking point.

Trump should be given the benefit of the doubt until he's proven wrong.

At any rate, he can not be worse than what we've endured for the past 8 years, which would have gotten even more corrupt if Clinton had been elected.

mardyn
                    Last edited by mardyn; 12-06-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      One is resigning as elector, and one is refusing to vote for Trump or Clinton. Neither is a real problem. But if the day comes where electors collude to overturn the popular mandate, there will be hell to pay.
                      This. But fuck them either way. They signed up to act as a proxy for the majority of the voters in their state. The should leave their opinions at the door, or don't sign up for it in the first place.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Here is his twitter if you want to show him some love

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                          This. But fuck them either way. They signed up to act as a proxy for the majority of the voters in their state. The should leave their opinions at the door, or don't sign up for it in the first place.
                          Just like actors and performers, the personal political opinions of electors mean nothing more to me than do those of the common citizenry, which is little to none.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            Here is his twitter if you want to show him some love

https://twitter.com/TheChrisSuprun
                            Looks like he is originally from NY, and seems like a big douche.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              I don't disagree with that, however it is not much different than the rest of our representatives lying about shit and not actualy representing us once in office. Fact is, this is legal, and the framers of the constitution did not mandate electors vote for who they were told to. So the question is, should each state pass laws mandating they do? Should there be an amendment at the federal level to change that?
                              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                              X