Texas ISD’s Owe Staggering $111.5 Billion in Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    The ability to read and write would be my go to answer, seeing as how that's how the word "literacy" is defined.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literacy
    That would be the common sense definition but common sense was abandoned long ago in the public education system and the meaning of "literacy" has been expanded to encompass many other things besides reading and writing. There are also several tiers to literacy as it is defined today.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Schools nowdays tend to focus on "emotional literacy" and "social activism." Not playing, emotional literacy is a thing
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

dump the star test bullshit and let teachers teach kids to learn .
        and stop hiring fucking coaches for principals .

Comment

And if more than 10% of a teacher's class cannot read upon graduation, the teacher gets fired

Comment

which teacher ? how many seniors have you met who could not read ?

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              And if more than 10% of a teacher's class cannot read upon graduation, the teacher gets fired
              Fine line to me man, in a lot of places poor parenting results in crappy students. Can't blame teachers for crap parenting.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                Fine line to me man, in a lot of places poor parenting results in crappy students. Can't blame teachers for crap parenting.
                YUUUUP

Also some of the places government bodies have to buy thru, because they have approved contracts, is insane. I know of an order that would have been able to save $7500 if they were able to purchase from Newegg. Also buying X items from Grainger and paying double the price if they went to X directly.

(I have to watch what I say)

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                  That would be the common sense definition but common sense was abandoned long ago in the public education system and the meaning of "literacy" has been expanded to encompass many other things besides reading and writing. There are also several tiers to literacy as it is defined today.
                  No, there aren't several tiers to it. I gave you the definition. That's also how the study I linked to you tested for literacy. Don't try to come up with some convoluted bullshit about how you weren't wrong, when you were.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    How do you propose to get rid of the bad teachers if we don't say "If your students can't read when they graduate, it's your fault?"

I'm also of the mindset that students should be able to opt out of regular classes and get into a tech education once they hit 15 if they aren't doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                      which teacher ? how many seniors have you met who could not read ?

Percent of high school graduates who can’t read 19 %

Comment

How do you propose to get rid of the bad teachers if we don't say "If your students can't read when they graduate, it's your fault?"
                        If only one teacher was responsible for the student's reading ability from k-12th grades, that would be reasonable.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                            You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
                            So if it's the student's fault every time and never the teacher fucking off, then I say put the kid in a tech program. How do you recognize when you have a bad teacher and how do you get rid of them and hold them accountable? I've had amazing teachers and I've had some that I knew the book better than they did.

Comment

So if it's the student's fault every time and never the teacher fucking off, then I say put the kid in a tech program. How do you recognize when you have a bad teacher and how do you get rid of them and hold them accountable? I've had amazing teachers and I've had some that I knew the book better than they did.
                              if you cant fucking read, you don't get a diploma. You don't graduate. Period. Teachers are getting the blame for stupid fucking idiots getting passed on to the next grade because they cant hold anyone back and "no child left behind" bullshit.

Get a grip, Frost. I know you're out there, but you are way out there on this one.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The same way anyone else is able to tell they've got a bad employee. They stand out.

Comment

Working...
                                X