Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchased a vehicle out of state - QUESTIONS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased a vehicle out of state - QUESTIONS.

Last weekend I bought a truck from a dealership up in Oklahoma. I paid about 1/2 in cash and financed the rest, so there is a lien holder. I've only purchased 1 car out of state, but there wasn't a lien holder on it and it's been a while so I've forgotten the process.

The instructions on the DMV website say:
    Within 30 days of bringing the vehicle to Texas, you must obtain a vehicle inspection and visit your county tax assessor-collector to title and register the vehicle. The vehicle must pass inspection before it can be registered and titled. After having it inspected, take the following to your county tax office:

Proof of Inspection (Vehicle Inspection Report),
    Proof of liability insurance meeting State of Texas minimum requirements,
    The vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old,
    An original out-of-state title,
    Proof of valid registration,
    Proof of sales tax payment or current foreign/military ownership document,
    Completed Form 130-U,
    I know I need to get it inspected and have that paperwork and proof of insurance and fill out the Form 130-U - Application for Texas Certificate of Title, but I don't have the out of state title or proof of valid registration from OK. Any info/instruction y'all can give on the following issues would be greatly appreciated.

1. Form 130-U - Application for Texas Certificate of Title -- I know I need to fill one out, but then do I send it to the dealership in OK I bought the truck from and have them fill out and sign the Odometer Disclosure and the bottom of the application and send it back to me with the OK title with it signed over to me and listing the finance company for my purchase as the lien holder?

2. Tax - When I go to the Dallas County tax assessor-collector's office, I'll give them all of the above, pay the tax on the purchase price of the vehicle and all of the registration fees. Is there anything else I need to bring or do to complete the "tax, title & registration" process?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you should consult an attorney.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

You have to pay Texas taxes on a vehicle purchased out of state and then pay for the registration?? What a racket.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        Sounds like you should consult an attorney.
        I chuckled heartily.
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
          You have to pay Texas taxes on a vehicle purchased out of state and then pay for the registration?? What a racket.
          Yes... if the outside state charged partial tax, say their rate was 5%, Texas wants the other 1.25%

to the OP. When you get the inspection you need a "green sheet" or whatever they call it. Its a special form that the inspection place will give you. At least thats what we needed years ago when we got our Armada.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
            I chuckled heartily.
            x2

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              Yes. I was in the military and purchased my truck in NM, where I was stationed, in 2005. Paid NM sales tax on it. Get transferred eventually to AZ, changed my residency for 6 months because I was going to stay there. Plans changed. 2008 I am discharged, moved back to Texas, and had to pay TX sales tax on my 3 year old truck because it was purchased out of state.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

You shouldn't have paid a cent to the state of OK. You f'd up there. You will need a certificate of title or title from the dealer you bought it as well.

I just bought my ZR in OK. You need the title, and lienholder's info. You have them put the leinholder on the new title and registration and you pay the 6.25% tax to TX.

You will need an inspection too. I did not, antique! If you are thinking of buying a collector car financing and insurance are cheap and it's a lot cheaper to own one than a more modern toy by far!

I now have two collectible 'Vettes.... in another two years or so I will add a 3rd to the mix. A 50th anny or an '01 to '04 Z06.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                  You shouldn't have paid a cent to the state of OK. You f'd up there. You will need a certificate of title or title from the dealer you bought it as well.
                  I didn't pay any tax in OK. I contacted the salesman I dealt with and he's got someone at the dealership working on the App for Title and a copy of the title, so hopefully I'll get all of that soon.

Comment

Texas doesn't do green sheet inspections anymore, all you need is a regular inspection. Found that out when I registered the LTD.

Comment

Working...
                    X