Craigslist sucks…for buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
    i've been looking for a 5355 ford truck cab/chasis and when i search cl none come up. cant believe there are none in texas for sale. finding some on mp but damn i aint paying 3500 for pasture art.
    That’s the thing too is anything at least I have found on CL has been reasonably priced. Anywhere else I search it’s like Barrett-Jackson or Richard Rawlings is selling it.

Comment

this economy is killing folks so they are trying for all they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
        i've been looking for a 5355 ford truck cab/chasis and when i search cl none come up. cant believe there are none in texas for sale. finding some on mp but damn i aint paying 3500 for pasture art.
        These days it's build it yourself, or pay through the nose for classic iron. $15k for a squarebody that's in good shape. I used to buy them for $1500 in good shape. I once bought a very nice 81 silverado from an old man for $800. Replaced the wore out seat cover and the cracked dash and it looked very nearly new. Same truck today - $18k

Of course, that's the nature of classic cars. You can't really complain cause when things get rare they go up in price. Same thing will happen to any nice looking truck from the 2000's 10 or 15 years from now.
        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          These days it's build it yourself, or pay through the nose for classic iron.
          And that is my dilemma. I want what's in between this. I don't want a ready built car. I want to buy something with a straight body like doesn't have the frame or pans rusted to shit, or has bondo all over, but needs mechanical work/small cosmetic things. I can't mess with body work. It's a tough find.

Comment

Whole damn used market is a joke right now. People paying stupid for stuff. Although I am seeing a slow down. Guy I know has a nice Foxbody listed for 10 k. He paid 6 a few months back. He's not getting any action at 10. Its worth 6.

Comment

finished cars bring what someone sees. my problem is with rusted junk for 3500. you just cant start there knowing 80% will be junked and replaced. i'm looking for a frame to title . i've found a couple that the frame is all that is valuable. but they still want stupid money for them. on has rusted out hood , cab corners , floors and drip rail rusted out. bed beat all to hell , fenders pretty much toast setting in the dirt. 2250 . people are nuts right now but mostly desperate for cash.

on high end stuff remember people park capitol in cars. many over pay to show a loss for taxes. i learned many years ago that the auction collector market is not part of the street market. it is business pure and simple. although a lot of folks see shit on auction and think there hohum streetrod should bring 50k.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                And that is my dilemma. I want what's in between this. I don't want a ready built car. I want to buy something with a straight body like doesn't have the frame or pans rusted to shit, or has bondo all over, but needs mechanical work/small cosmetic things. I can't mess with body work. It's a tough find.
                ya'll should scour fb marketplace out in my area (24501), tons of older barn/pasture/grandpa's unfinished projects out this way it seems.

Comment

hell i've driven 5 hrs one way to get stuff. but now days fuel is crimping my road trips some.

Comment

Going to look at a '64 Bel Air this weekend!

Comment

Good luck! It took me a really long time to find an OBS Chevy worth buying at a fair price.

Comment

Share some pics if you bring it home. Good luck!

Comment

An old truck that doesn't need body work puts them up into the $12k-$15k range it seems. I think your only hope (until the market changes) is to get some old beater that's rust free. Not a problem if you're still in texas. Save up the money and let the body man go to town.

Then again with this kind of inflation, I don't think you'd lose much. If you keep the truck for 10 years, you'll be able to sell it for the same price you paid for it. Maybe more.

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                          ya'll should scour fb marketplace out in my area (24501), tons of older barn/pasture/grandpa's unfinished projects out this way it seems.
                          An unfinished project might be the way to go, if you can look at it and tell the guy was good at metal fab. He may have poured a hundred hours of work into the frame and sheet metal, only to give up or run out of money. The truck is in pieces or has no engine and no interior, so you come along and get it for cheap.

That's like free money, imagine having to pay a fabricator's rate for doing all that. Well heavily discounted anyway. It's like the guy was working for $1/hour or something.
                          WH

Comment

the best bang for bucks is a project where the guy did the mechanicals but lacked the funds for body/paint/interior. i've bought many like this but the major expense is those 3 .
                            biggest problem is being able to negotiate price without them getting all butt hurt and throwing a fit. i have 3 fleetline chevys listed but dont get pissed at any offer on one of them.

Comment

Apparently facebook is now asking for tax ID info before you post something for sale.

Comment

not so far. at least they have not asked me yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X