Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ortolan Bunting - "decadent and disgraceful" French delicacy

Any of you ballers here ever had it?

The bird is protected and therefore is not on the menu these days, but some French chefs are trying to change that... but that's not the point. The point is the meal itself, the prep, and how you eat it.

A single ortolan bird is no bigger than a baby’s fist and weighs less than an ounce, but they can be sold for as much as $150 to those willing to break the law.

Hunters catch the birds using traps set in fields during their migratory season (when they fly to Africa). They are then kept in covered cages, encouraging them to gorge on grain in order to double their size. It is said that Roman Emperors stabbed out ortolans’ eyes in order to make the birds think it was night, making them eat even more.

They are then thrown alive into a vat of Armagnac, a trick that manages to both drown and marinade the animal at the same time. Killing two birds with one glug, as it were.

Then comes the eating – part pagan ritual, part essay in gluttony. The birds are cooked for eight minutes and served with their heads still attached. After the shame-hiding napkin is placed over the diner’s head (helping, too, to trap the aroma of the dish), the ortolan is popped in its entirety into the diner’s mouth, who then proceeds to eat everything including the head and bones.

Tradition dictates that this is to shield – from God’s eyes – the shame of such a decadent and disgraceful act.*

Here's how Anthony Bourdain described it:

The flames in the cocottes burn down, and the Ortolans are distributed, one to each guest. Everyone at this table knows what to do and how to do it. We wait for the sizzling flesh and fat before us to quiet down a bit. We exchange glances and grins and then, simultaneously, we place our napkins over our heads, hiding our faces from God, and with burning fingertips lift our birds gingerly by their hot skulls, placing them feet-first into our mouths – only their heads and beaks protruding.

In the darkness under my shroud, I realize that in my eagerness to fully enjoy the experience, I’ve closed my eyes. First comes the skin and the fat. It’s hot. So hot that I’m drawing short, panicky, circular breaths in and out – like a high-speed trumpet player, breathing around the ortolan, shifting it gingerly around my mouth with my tongue so I don’t burn myself. I listen for the sounds of jaws against bone around me but hear only others breathing, the muffled hiss od rapidly moving air through teeth under a dozen linen napkins. There’s a vestigal flavor of Armagnac, low-hanging fumes of airborne fat particles, an intoxicating dekicious miasma. Time goes by. Seconds? Moments? I don’t know. I hear the first snap of tiny bones from somewhere near and decide to brave it. I bring my molars down and through my bird’s rib cage with a wet crunch and am rewarded with a scalding hot rush of burning fat and guts down my throat. Rarely have pain and delight combined so well. I’m giddily uncomfortable, breathing in short, controlled gasps as I continue slowly – ever so slowly – to chew. With every bite, as the thin bones and layers of fat, meat, skin, and organs compact in on themselves, there are sublime dribbles of varied and wonderous ancient flavors: figs, Armagnac, dark flesh slightly infused with the salty taste of my own blood as my mouth is pricked by the sharp bones. As I swallow, I draw in the head and beak, which, until now, have been hanging from my lips, and blithely crush the skull.

Last edited by Strychnine; 02-02-2015, 08:26 PM.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Comment

I will eat almost anything, but that's too much.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I've had a lot of different animals...and that's not one of them...but dammit if it's not on the list now. Pending it's legalized of course

Comment

I remember Bourdain talking about that as his favorite dish from the standpoints of exclusivity, illegality, rarity, elitism nature of the entire experience.

Not sure I'd be that adventuresome, but I do have a standing with the Illuminati to eat a baby, either as an entree or a between two slices of rye.

Comment

Three things that crossed my mind on this above the illegal aspect, or the stupid elitist feeling, or even the cruilty of how they are cooked.

1. Fuck that much money for a small meal.
            2. Those bones had to hurt like hell
            3. And I do not care to eat poop or partially digested stomach contents.
            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I'll never be cultured enough to want to eat that.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Do the same thing (marinade in exotic spices etc...) to a rat and you'll get similar results.

Same argument I have for those who eat Chitterlings. Dress and spice up a turd enough to hide the flavor, but you are still eating moon muffins!

David

Comment

Still not as bad as bashing a live monkey's head and eating its still warm brains from Faces of Death.

Comment

Chicken E FTW !

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      Still not as bad as bashing a live monkey's head and eating its still warm brains from Faces of Death.
                      Or Indiana Jones. Well I guess they were chilled in Legion of Doom but still in the skull.

Comment

Let me think on this one...Nope, I'm out.

Comment

Meh. Doesn't seem any worse than balut.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)
                          Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                            Actually, when I was thinking of something to compare it to, that came to mind.. lol. The blanket over the head / shame aspect is very interesting.. Reminds me of glory holes.

BTW.. The write-up almost made me sick just to read it.

The other thing it made me think of is smoked smelt. We used to dip for smelt to use as bait fish up in WA, and my dad would typically smoke a few batches before freezing the rest. We would eat those whole (minus the head). But the bones were so soft / fine you didn't even notice them.

Comment

So this is what dohctr eats for lunch everyday?

Comment

Working...
                              X