do you feel like an adult imposter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
    Oh this is definitely me, but not much has actually changed for since i was in my 20's. Still single, no kids, no real responsibilities.
    You're a God Damned Legend!!!!
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

My crew at work is mostly older dudes and I’m fine with that as I get along with them. I thought about how I might be the older dude at some point and it scared me a little. I’m 38 and they are 44-69.

Comment

Life's cruelest trick. The body ages faster than the mind.

Comment

As I get older my interests stay the same yes. I feel like that has made me have old man syndrome. I don't like anything newer than what I grew up with. I do probably have the same maturity, but my wife and kids seem to put up with it. The only difference is now I have more money and resources for things growing up I wanted but couldn't get. Wife and kids put me in check sometimes, but it's all good. I wouldn't give them up for the world.

Comment

I'd wager that every reply will be a similar version of the same thought process.

I'm 45, married with 5 kiddos. I'm still doing everything in my power to set the world on fire, so to speak.

I grew up lower/middle middle class. My mom taught me how to balance a checkbook register when I was 18-19. Outside of that, it was "go to school and get a job". The idea of the entrepreneurial spirit was never even a thought until I was in my 30's. Passive income? What's that?!?!?

I left corporate America in 2012 and haven't looked back yet. I feel every day like I'm playing the "fake-it-til-you-make-it" game but part of me thinks I might've actually "made it" already.

But I have two Mustangs I haven't driven in 6+ years. I have a 2010 Yamaha YZ450F I bought new, put roughly 40-50 hours on it and then the kids came. I haven't ridden it since 2014. I used to fish tournaments (local bass club). I quit that in 2015. For now, priority one is 5 kids and getting this business to a point I don't have to work 60+ hour weeks (yes, it's 1:30 AM and I'm at my desk working). I'm moving into an office next week (been working from home since 2012) and I think I'm on the verge of getting "me" back.

And yeah, I creak and pop and groan every morning when I get out of bed after my 4-5 hour nightly nap. They say "time is the greatest teacher but it kills all of its students". Truth.
            Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 02-24-2023, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              What's really trippy is to realize how much FASTER aging is coming at us. It's exponential, in a way (I'm sure there's a better word for it.) It's like compound interest. For example, when you go from your 4th birthday to your 5th, that year seemingly takes forever. Of course - it's 20% of your whole life! But at age 75, another year is not even 1.5% of your life. It flies by. It's the same amount of days/time, but such a small portion of what you've lived, that it becomes less and less significant. And the more time that passes, the smaller that amount of time is in proportion. That's a damned buzzkill.
              Try explaining the concept of "days go slow, years go fast" to an 11-year old. It took a few different conversations, months apart, to get my then-11-year old daughter to grasp that one.

Comment

Man, getting older sucks, but life is different for everyone. When you are going thru life with kids, school activities and working take all of your time. Fun for me was going on vacations and having at least having one hobby, my hobby was racing my Cobra at all the Texas FFW events and T&T nights, street racing late at night once the day was done.

Now, me time other than those things, anniversaries with the wife and weekend getaways were far and few in between. My life started early with raising a family, my Son was the last to leave the house, but they all left the nest at approximately 19 years of age. We did a decent job at raising them as they are all independent and making their own money, so much so that we have no grandkids to spend time with atm.
                I've never felt like I was middle aged (during middle aged) because I've had sports cars since high school, grew up with my Dad and Grandad that were into cars and hot rods, so I followed in their footsteps in that regard, but I always enjoyed myself when I could by drinking and smoking da bud (other drugs when I was younger but when the kids came we had to give all that shit up).

Once the kids left the house we have way more money for ourselves and take several vacations a year. My wife still works but I retired approx. 10 years ago, but there's always shit to do. I still do all the maintenance on all three of my Stang's and Aviator, take care of shit around the house and occasionally will drink, though not as much as I used to because hangovers last two days or more.

Middle age if the studies are correct are around 35-40, that's half of your life if you don't get cancer or some other fatal disease. Everyone's biological life span is completely different. I know people that are still drinking everyday and are in their 70's, people that do drugs, coke, weed and are late in their 50's and 60's with no issues' and don't go to the doctor for regular check ups.
                I know people that struggle with diabetes or other life changing ailments and never drunk or did drugs, you just never know I guess what's in store for you.

My take, live life to your fullest, don't put off shit you want to do or you'll regret it the rest of your life, of course we all have regrets, but you can't change them. You just apologize and move on. Hopefully in 10 years the wife can retire and we have enough to take care of ourselves til its time to check out...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I feel old

I went from bar manager to opening a bar with some crazy ass investor/partners and ran from that insanity.. bad decisions made doing that.. never again

Currently a builder for a local home builder and I like it for the most part.. been doing this a little over 2 years

Restaurant biz was a wild good time sometimes tho!!
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    Oh this is definitely me, but not much has actually changed for since i was in my 20's. Still single, no kids, no real responsibilities.
                    My man!

46. I wouldn?t say I feel like I?m pretending to be an adult, but I definitely get imposter syndrome sometimes. What is funny about it is I also get whatever the reverse is, where I feel like there?s literally no barrier I can?t break and nothing I can?t accomplish if I decide to chase it. When it gets bad I just look back at everything I?ve done and everywhere I?ve been in the last five or six years, then I go in front of somewhere between half a dozen or a couple of hundred people and make my little literacy presentation.

When I don?t have to do that, it?s like I custom engineered a career with my own hands and brain that took every single major interest I have and someone said, here, let us pay you for these interests, you do want to look at cool shit and talk about it all day, right? I?m not getting rich but I have the best car I?ve ever owned, a widening rare book collection, a home library of a few thousand books, and a burgeoning watch collection (I?m not going to let that one get too out of control, I probably lie to myself), and a stack of education credentials I am extremely proud of. I went from, no hyperbole, graduating nearly last in a class of 850ish to Summa Cum Laude undergrad and a STEM Masters. I am so glad I didn?t have kids. Smartest decision I ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Chaos View Post
                      It's like I custom engineered a career with my own hands and brain that took every single major interest I have and someone said, here, let us pay you for these interests, you do want to look at cool shit and talk about it all day, right?
                      Same. Feels good, man.

Comment

Working...
                      X