No announcement yet.

What I have been working on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful car and it sounds sick. Congrats man.
    Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
    -Fred Sanford

Comment

• So I got my first taste of the law in the Cobra yesterday. We were exiting 820 onto Hwy26 in Euless well within the posted speed limit for the ramp. There was a Euless PD SUV in the middle lane of the access road a ways in front of us. I guess he saw me and then ducked into the parking lot next to Hooters and busted a U-turn to get right back out on the access road behind me at the light. I just smiled and let my wife know we were about to get pulled over.

He lagged back for a few miles presumably while running my plates etc., and then pulled over into the left lane to turn off. I am sure he realized in the system that I am 100% legit and decided not to taz me today.

As he pulled up next to me at the light I waved to him. Can you believe he saw it and didn't even wave back. Prick. Just cause the car is a little loud and low to the ground. Go harass all the paper plate used cars on the road at the least. I mean what the hell, I am white and in my mid 30's, sheesh.

Originally posted by oh1bullitt View Post
      Beautiful car and it sounds sick. Congrats man.
      Thanks
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Proof it transports me to work....when it is nice out and I can park right outside my post.

Anyone see anything wrong with this. The laser is on the DP. Not even beating on it either.

For the record. I do have an air filter and 90* silicone coupler coming this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
          We have close to a 100 miles on it now and it drives like a dream. Everyone that has ridden in it so far (wife, brother, nephew, stepdad) all agree it runs great and is very streetable. The MM suspension, Bilstiens and spring rate make the car ride stiff but suprisingly smooth, even with the 315's in the back and 275's up front.

Coolant temps are still suprising me. We got her out on the highway today for the first time and the temps dropped down to 170's. Unbelieveble for a turbo car. Even in stop in go in town driving the temps stay in the 180's. Now I feel safe putting an A/C condensor in there.

Fuel mileage is somewhere around 7-10 city/highway. Ugh, but expected with the E85.

I am still learning the AEM and getting used to the different inputs. The A/F runs lean (15:1-17.9:1) when I am cruising....no load. Let off the gas or accelerate (increase load) it drops back down to 12.5:1-13.5:1. I just don't feel safe seeing the 17's on the gauge.

There are a few light rattles up front that I need to hunt down but they sound very minor.

Overall we are very happy with it.
          as far as going lean during cruise area's of the fuel map i am the same way but i have heard interesting arguments about this topic. from what i have heard there is very little risk of running lean as far as leaner then stoich since at that point the burn is actually less hot then just richer then stoich. once you go leaner then 14.7 (for gas) you are simply loosing power, but the source of heat (i.e.) the fuel is now less then what is required for complete combustion, thus less powerful, but also less hot then at or around stoich. i know this has been verified by many, and some, like sam, actually tune their idle/cruise regions to run at a point leaner then stoich to help with plug life and fuel economy. as a matter of fact in other countries some auto manufactures (such as holden), use an algorithm in their PCM that actually commands a "lean cruise" for increased fuel economy (albeit at the expense of greater emissions). from what i understand the worst area as far as heat is considered is actually just leaner then your desired afr under power and/or a lot richer then the afr desired for wot power (so something like 13.5:1 under WOT or 10:1 under power, both gas).

long story short i wouldn't be as freaked out seeing 16:1 during cruise as you might currently be.

Comment

• Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
            as far as going lean during cruise area's of the fuel map i am the same way but i have heard interesting arguments about this topic. from what i have heard there is very little risk of running lean as far as leaner then stoich since at that point the burn is actually less hot then just richer then stoich. once you go leaner then 14.7 (for gas) you are simply loosing power, but the source of heat (i.e.) the fuel is now less then what is required for complete combustion, thus less powerful, but also less hot then at or around stoich. i know this has been verified by many, and some, like sam, actually tune their idle/cruise regions to run at a point leaner then stoich to help with plug life and fuel economy. as a matter of fact in other countries some auto manufactures (such as holden), use an algorithm in their PCM that actually commands a "lean cruise" for increased fuel economy (albeit at the expense of greater emissions). from what i understand the worst area as far as heat is considered is actually just leaner then your desired afr under power and/or a lot richer then the afr desired for wot power (so something like 13.5:1 under WOT or 10:1 under power, both gas).

long story short i wouldn't be as freaked out seeing 16:1 during cruise as you might currently be.
            There's more to it than leaning it out to achieve economy. There's a ton of literature on it, and this technology has been around since the early 90's I bellieve.(introduced by Toyota?) Megasquirt is actually implementing what I am talking about, it's called X-Tau, or Xtau. It's a parameter that merely means that for any given amount of fuel introduced into the intake tract, a certain percentage gets into the chamber and a certain percentage gets stuck on the walls of the tract. From there, it's 'piled up' and partially consumed on the next cycle. More or less a built in 'waste of fuel'. This setting in megasquirt, and maybe even Keith's AEM will take advantage of that 'wall wetting' fuel and actually take it into consideration per injector event... it's supposedly a huge gain in economy, but VERY tricky to 'tune'.

Comment

• Originally posted by turbostang View Post
              There's more to it than leaning it out to achieve economy. There's a ton of literature on it, and this technology has been around since the early 90's I bellieve.(introduced by Toyota?) Megasquirt is actually implementing what I am talking about, it's called X-Tau, or Xtau. It's a parameter that merely means that for any given amount of fuel introduced into the intake tract, a certain percentage gets into the chamber and a certain percentage gets stuck on the walls of the tract. From there, it's 'piled up' and partially consumed on the next cycle. More or less a built in 'waste of fuel'. This setting in megasquirt, and maybe even Keith's AEM will take advantage of that 'wall wetting' fuel and actually take it into consideration per injector event... it's supposedly a huge gain in economy, but VERY tricky to 'tune'.
              hp tuners has this as well (the lean cruise portion cannot be accessed without editing the hex coding as it is a violation of epa regs) but through transient fueling we can account for the evaporation, the extra fuel hitting the walls, the impact factor, etc. i have had to tweak these to help with lean spikes during huge throttle transients.

Comment

• Thanks guys. That makes sense. I would really be getting even more worried if my ECTs were not in the 170's cruising on the hwy.

Brooks, your MegaSquirt is running wasted spark paired firring for those coils right? The AEM is set that way with 4 coil drivers.

Comment

• What are ya'lls thoughts on the 700* temps in the DP from just cruising and staying out of boost?

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    So I got my first taste of the law in the Cobra yesterday. We were exiting 820 onto Hwy26 in Euless well within the posted speed limit for the ramp. There was a Euless PD SUV in the middle lane of the access road a ways in front of us. I guess he saw me and then ducked into the parking lot next to Hooters and busted a U-turn to get right back out on the access road behind me at the light. I just smiled and let my wife know we were about to get pulled over.

He lagged back for a few miles presumably while running my plates etc., and then pulled over into the left lane to turn off. I am sure he realized in the system that I am 100% legit and decided not to taz me today.

As he pulled up next to me at the light I waved to him. Can you believe he saw it and didn't even wave back. Prick. Just cause the car is a little loud and low to the ground. Go harass all the paper plate used cars on the road at the least. I mean what the hell, I am white and in my mid 30's, sheesh.

Thanks

If you really want your first taste of the law, I can hook a brotha up!

Comment

• Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                      If you really want your first taste of the law, I can hook a brotha up!
                      NawSir. Eyes be movin on Sir. LOL

I got a taste the other week with a 75 in a 60. Bullshit ticket as there is no way in hell I was doing the 75 he wrote nor the 78 he said. I should have asked to see the gun but I was in a hurry to get to the dyno. Wait, yes, in a hurry but not doing near that fast on that section of road. I went the same way the other day and I didn't feel right even doing 60.

Comment

• Keith, that was my wife and niece in the teal Mazda CX9 checking you out just before you turned onto Bonds Ranch. They liked the car, of course.

I need to get over there.

Edit - it may not have been you, as now they are changing the story.. Funny...
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                          Keith, that was my wife and niece in the teal Mazda CX9 checking you out just before you turned onto Bonds Ranch. They liked the car, of course.

I need to get over there.

Edit - it may not have been you, as now they are changing the story.. Funny...
                          When did they see me?

Comment

• They thought it was you turning off business 287 onto Bonds Ranch coming from Saginaw, just a few minutes ago. I'm not sure it could have been, because you were posting about that time.

They can't tell an SN95 from an S197 though either. I'm ashamed...
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

• I might have a set of four authentic Cobra R center caps, you can have them if I can locate them. But then again I told CJ that I had 2 SN95 factory air cleaners and I never could find those. I'll look tomorrow...'Henry

edit, I went out to the garage and I found two, they are in real fine shape too, I think I remember what happened now. I used to have a set of real Cobra R's on my 97 Cobra before I bought the Saleens, one of them got cracked at a discount tire and the other came apart. I bought a new set from Ford and I saved the old ones, well at least two. Let me see if I can hunt down the other two, but if not at least you will only have too locate another two.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Rick Modena; 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM.
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                                They thought it was you turning off business 287 onto Bonds Ranch coming from Saginaw, just a few minutes ago. I'm not sure it could have been, because you were posting about that time.

They can't tell an SN95 from an S197 though either. I'm ashamed...
                                Lol, I have been at work since 3p today. [eddie murphy]Wasn't me[/eddie murphy]

Comment

Working...
                                X