AJE 'Colt 65' Suspension upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJE 'Colt 65' Suspension upgrade

Decided to bite the bullet on this, I desperately needed to go through my original sloppy front suspension, and the steering was well worn. Since I was already going to have the engine and trans out for an upgrade there, it was the right time. I had lots of help this weekend from Paul (Greenbullit) and Christian (thehead).

Pulled the engine and trans out:

pressure washed 47 years of crap off.

removed all the front suspension and steering.

cut off the upper arm brace/motor mount/ lower arm mounts and cleanup up the frame rail, drilled holes for the new k member to bolt up.

and bolted up the new stuff to test fit.

This kit converts the front suspension and steering to fox/sn95 style, with a coil over, caster/camber plate, tubular arms and k member. I get to ditch the upper arms, so the area it mounts to is able to be cut and gain some clearance around the engine. I could cut back farther to make room for a 4.6 or coyote, but since I'm putting a 351w in, I really didnt NEED the extra room, and I figured it would be cleaner to have them flat plated, possibly even stronger than cutting it way back.

We marked it and cut the strut towers.

Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 03-14-2016, 02:13 PM.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

and pulled the new suspension back down so we could get it plated and welded.

made a template out of cardboard, marked it on some 12ga steel, and cut it out. After a bunch of test fitting and trimming, we ( and by we, I mean Paul ) welded it up. I was ready to get in there and weld it up, he jumped in and did it. Since he was doing such a good job of it, I let him continue.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I was trying to make it look nice, so that it would be hard to tell that it didnt come from the factory this way. All the welds were ground and smoothed, and it sucked. A lot.

shot two coats of primer on and painted it the same satin black that ill be using for the rest of the engine bay this week. The reinstalled the suspension

Comment

That cleaned up nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Abs rings? Can you use them?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
              Abs rings? Can you use them?
              I guess I could if I was so inclined to retrofit an abs system. I've got them on the rear too.

Comment

I don't know why but it would cool to have, a pain to plumb yes but would give good piece of mind having. I think I have a SN 95 ABS module somewhere if you decide to get crazy lol.

Comment

I have ALL the ABS off my car sitting on the shelf: pump, sensors, module and harnesses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

This is awesome. Really nice work, nemesis.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      This is awesome. Really nice work, nemesis.
                      thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X