Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fantasy may be better than the reality!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fantasy may be better than the reality!

So, my entire bike riding life I have eyeballed Colnago bikes, especially the Dream frames. There is just something about the paint and detail on these bikes that draws me to them. I sold my Trek Carbon bike with updated wheels last year because it just didn't excite me. That and I was tweaking the fleet, had around 7 bikes. Now that I have been besting my recumbent averages by 2mph, my Van Dessel WTF just isn't doing it for me on seeing my improvements on a upright. I always believe that no matter what I will be faster on a diamond frame but no way to tell with the gravel bike. Don't get me wrong, the Van Dessel is my go to bike and I am fairly fast on it but not a thoroughbred by any means.

I do all of my own maintenance but never had to source parts so this should be interesting. I think I want a 1x11 or 12 105 level build if I can make that happen. No hurry, and don't want to break the bank so I might step back a notch on the tech stuff. My Carbon recumbent has all 9spd XTR stuff on it and does well but I want newer then that. Just have to figure this out.

Plus, the new bikes I was fondling today just don't do it for me. I swear I picked up a damn 8000.00 Trek today with Di2 shifting, and it was a pig.

2003 Colnago Dream B-Stay bike.

Whos your Daddy?

If these were not 650c they actually look nice on the bike. When I get my Superteam whatever carbons from Amazon tomorrow and slap them on some Italian guy somewhere will be rolling over in his grave. Just waiting on my Ultegra stuff now, should come out fairly light.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      If these were not 650c they actually look nice on the bike. When I get my Superteam whatever carbons from Amazon tomorrow and slap them on some Italian guy somewhere will be rolling over in his grave. Just waiting on my Ultegra stuff now, should come out fairly light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjLDmEbLCmxnLkF29
      Nice!
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjLDmEbLCmxnLkF29
        I see you snatched that square taper BB out real quick. Best of luck w/the new to you bike. I cannot ride a gravel/road bike and doubt I ever will, too aggressive a riding position for my lower back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          I see you snatched that square taper BB out real quick. Best of luck w/the new to you bike. I cannot ride a gravel/road bike and doubt I ever will, too aggressive a riding position for my lower back.
          My lower back is fubar sometimes but not a problem on the bike. I had weirder tailbone / back stuff on the beach cruisers after 10 miles or so. Holy shit I slapped my new wheels on tonight. I can't believe 700c are that much lighter then the 650 Eastons. Should be interesting with Carbon integrated stem/bars and the Ultegra kit I have coming, thus the new bottom bracket. Realistically newer carbon bikes the frames are not really that much lighter it is in the wheels and components. Maybe this thing will be 17lbs or so. I toyed with the thought of a 105 groupset but the Ultegra was only 100 more. Dura Ace would have been nice but that shit is pricey. This is a tad taller at around 56 than I usually ride but I remember a guy set me up on a 56 many years ago due to my longer torso and shorter legs and it rode great. I never thought about the seat being lower to the frame and a more upright position like my gravel bike.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            Reflecting back on this comment. Gravel bikes have similar geometry to mountain bikes.

Now, back to this Italian stallion, 19 lbs ready to ride so not too shabby. I almost had it set up right from the get go and it fits me fine. I dig it with all the modern stuff on it. I haven't flogged it yet though. I am going to have to figure out a smaller or more flexible brake line for sure, where it wraps and goes internal she is dragging on both sides but it works. Might even swap out the shifter cables also all though they seam to be working fine.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
            X