No announcement yet.

Signs an Interview Went Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't generally spend 90 minutes showing someone around if I'm not going to hire them. I can usually spot the people I need to GTFO of my office in about 1 minute these days. 90 minutes is a lot of a COOs time.

Comment

Good advice so far. I always ask what's the next step or when they plan on making a decision.

Comment

Yeah, like Shorty said, thanks for the input so far. My initial plan was to follow up on Thursday but I will be sending a thank you email tomorrow morning before I do that.
        An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          I don't generally spend 90 minutes showing someone around if I'm not going to hire them. I can usually spot the people I need to GTFO of my office in about 1 minute these days. 90 minutes is a lot of a COOs time.
          I think I've seen just about all there is to see on the interview front over the last year and a half but this isn't always the case. Some of the ones I thought went well, I never got a 2nd round. It's really tough at McCombs b/c you had to be top 1 or 2 from your class (they'd interview about 12), then they'd go to Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Wharton, NYU and then you had to beat those guys as well.

In the last year and a half I interviewed with 28 companies. Many of those were 2nd, 3rd round (Morningstar - I made it five rounds, flew to Chicago, interviewed for 9 hours) and didn't make the final round cut.

Some of the ones I made the most progress with, I thought I bombed the initial interview. Interviews I knew I aced...never heard squat.
          Last edited by slow99; 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            I think I've seen just about all there is to see on the interview front over the last year and a half but this isn't always the case. Some of the ones I thought went well, I never got a 2nd round. It's really tough at McCombs b/c you had to be top 1 or 2 from your class (they'd interview about 12), then they'd go to Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Wharton, NYU and then you had to beat those guys as well.

In the last year and a half I interviewed with 28 companies. Many of those were 2nd, 3rd round (Morningstar - I made it five rounds, flew to Chicago, interviewed for 9 hours) and didn't make the final round cut.

Some of the ones I made the most progress with, I thought I bombed the initial interview. Interviews I knew I aced...never heard squat.
            Well, you're much more educated than most of the people I have the pleasure of dealing with.

Comment

To the OP - The business model and what you're seeing with this firm is the classic Private Equity (PE) /Venture Capital (VC) model. These PE/VC guys find a portfolio of companies with solid cash flow generation and a solid, tangible asset base, take them out (purchase them), lever them up (throw a whole lot of debt on them), run them for a 5-7 years, then look for a "liquidity event".

Solid cash flow generation and a solid asset base make it easier to lever (take debt against), and then service the additional debt (interest payments made with the solid cash flows), while juicing returns to the equity investors. The equity investors in this case will be a General Partner (GP) and a group of Limited Partners (LPs).

After years of solid cash flow generation, paying down the debt, the GP and LPs hope for multiple expansion. Multiple expansion - Let's say the business/portfolio generates $1 Bln a year in cash flow...similar businesses might go for 3x, 5x, 7x next year's cash flow...implying a selling price of $3 billion, $5 billion, $7 billion, respectively. Obviously the GP and LPs want this multiple to be as high as possible. The higher margins they can generate, debt paydown (less risk), and efficiency they can generate, the higher the multiple they can get with their "liquidity event".

If you get the opportunity to ask in a 2nd round, good questions would be:

- What the company looks for in a potential takeout (how do they identify companies that they think can generate sufficient cash flow)?

- What type of liquidity events they usually seek (IPO, take out by another company - private or public, ESOP)?

- How do they feel the current interest rate environment will project into the future (when they need a liquidity event)?

- How have they balance aggression with diligence given the current interest rate environment (cheap borrowing)?

- How are the GP's interests aligned with the LPs and other investors (is he incentivized to perform...)?
              Last edited by slow99; 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM.
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                Perhaps it went well enough to not warrant a second interview. Maybe HR is getting your offer paperwork together.
                This would be my guess as well.

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                ALWAYS establish next steps before leaving. Close every step of the process.

You need to follow up via email to clarify next steps ASAP. If no response within 24 hours, call.
                But ^ this ^ is what you need to do - now!

Good luck man.

David

Comment

Meh, I've had one interview where they showed me around, what I'd be doing, how much I'd be paid, what to wear, when I would probably start, even met the guy that would be my supervisor and STILL didn't get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                    Meh, I've had one interview where they showed me around, what I'd be doing, how much I'd be paid, what to wear, when I would probably start, even met the guy that would be my supervisor and STILL didn't get the job.
                    "♫ long haired freaky people need not apply!♫"

Should have tucked your hair up under your hat..

David

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                      "♫ long haired freaky people need not apply!♫"

Should have tucked your hair up under your hat..

David
                      Ha! I did have long hair at the time.

Comment

Speaking of which...

Johnny Unitas>Joe Namath

And thank you slow99, I have been reading about the questions so I will be more versed when I talk to them again.
                        Last edited by 0 GT 2; 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Well, it went well. They extended an official offer this morning.

Thanks for all the input!

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
                              Speaking of which...

Johnny Unitas>Joe Namath

And thank you slow99, I have been reading about the questions so I will be more versed when I talk to them again.
                              OMG OMG - is that...JESUS????
                              US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
                                Well, it went well. They extended an official offer this morning.

Thanks for all the input!
                                Very cool! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X