No announcement yet.

Looking at options and opinions for a 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tripped and fell into an 85 Bronco II last night for dirty cheap. Runs rough, but does run, and drives. v6/manual, and 4x4. The A/C even works. Im going to check it out sometime this week or weekend, it may end up my new daily/toy.

Or I may just opt out and let it sell on the lot.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
      I tripped and fell into an 85 Bronco II last night for dirty cheap. Runs rough, but does run, and drives. v6/manual, and 4x4. The A/C even works. Im going to check it out sometime this week or weekend, it may end up my new daily/toy.

Or I may just opt out and let it sell on the lot.
      :X
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        :X
        yeah yeah yeah, you dont have to tell me how far superior everything else is, blah blah blah. Find me something for $350 that is as capable or better.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

yeah yeah yeah, you dont have to tell me how far superior everything else is, blah blah blah. Find me something for $350 that is as capable or better.
          What happened to the 8k budget? Now it's $350?

My brother had a Bronco II 4x4 we use to take out. I remember it wasn't too bad, but I don't see any of those on the trails ever, and I'm curious why not. I remember my brother's had manual locking front hubs which makes me think it might have had a Dana44 up front.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

What happened to the 8k budget? Now it's $350?

My brother had a Bronco II 4x4 we use to take out. I remember it wasn't too bad, but I don't see any of those on the trails ever, and I'm curious why not. I remember my brother's had manual locking front hubs which makes me think it might have had a Dana44 up front.
            Well, I dont have it yet, but If I can get something nailed down that I can do trail riding without dropping all my cash, it cant hurt.

Why dont you see them? They arent as light as they should be for thier size, they are underpowered, and have that split front axle crap that ford loved. Since I was a ranger fan a few years back, Ive got a bit of a soft spot for them, I guess. The split beam front axle isnt too bad for light offroad stuff, since the tires can work somewhat independent from each other, but they dont have a lot of travel in stock form. Now there are some kits to get a bunch of travel out of the front end, but for the money a solid axle swap is more cost effective.

If this thing grows on me, I might do a solid front and a 302 swap. Or I might do nothing.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work.
                have you seen my racecar?

Comment

have you seen my racecar?
                  Just sayin' brah. If you're going to make it a serious trail rig with D60's or 1 ton axles than it makes sense, because all the factory stuff would have to go regardless. But if it's going to be a budget build it just seems like (here it comes) a factory wrangler would end up being the same amount of money once you get live axles under there and everything fabbed up.

Comment

I miss my Amigo. It was like the one in the pic but silver. was a great little toy
                    May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Just sayin' brah. If you're going to make it a serious trail rig with D60's or 1 ton axles than it makes sense, because all the factory stuff would have to go regardless. But if it's going to be a budget build it just seems like (here it comes) a factory wrangler would end up being the same amount of money once you get live axles under there and everything fabbed up.
                      Ill never had a "serious trail rig" that isnt a buggy. Ive spend enough time at Baertrax before Russ sold it to know that a trail rider is all I will ever have. I really wanted something topless, but if this works out, Ill buy a convertible mustang or something for the family nice weather ride.

Comment

Ill never had a "serious trail rig" that isnt a buggy. Ive spend enough time at Baertrax before Russ sold it to know that a trail rider is all I will ever have. I really wanted something topless, but if this works out, Ill buy a convertible mustang or something for the family nice weather ride.
                        So there's where the budget went!

On a similar note, I actually sold my windshield on my wrangler to Russ a few weeks ago. He's building a new trail rig.

Comment

So there's where the budget went!

On a similar note, I actually sold my windshield on my wrangler to Russ a few weeks ago. He's building a new trail rig.
                          I heard. There is a rumor that he may be opening another fab shop.

Edit

Russ used to race with us, and we built the Cages at his shop.
                          Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Russ is a good dude. I always liked having him work on something for me because he wasn't elitist about it. If he opens another fab shop I would take my YJ there for everything. I know people like Josh but I can't get behind the "new" baertrax. He also priced himself out of work with me twice now. By a looooong shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
                              Russ is a good dude. I always liked having him work on something for me because he wasn't elitist about it. If he opens another fab shop I would take my YJ there for everything. I know people like Josh but I can't get behind the "new" baertrax. He also priced himself out of work with me twice now. By a looooong shot.
                              its been a while since Ive talked to Russ, so I dont know if there is any substance to the rumor or not. He is a hell of a nice guy, and his wife Cristy is awesome also. I dont have a dog in that hunt, so I hate to comment on the new owners.

Comment

Working...
                              X