DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #1
Unicorn Jeff
Willy Bum Bum
 
Unicorn Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 12,416
Default Home builder question

I want to build a custom home based off a house that we found and fell in love with two years ago. Who would I contact in order to figure out how much it would cost to build?
Unicorn Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:14 PM   #2
Stephen
Extremely custom title
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spogtown
Posts: 13,936
Default

No clue but get ready to pay out the ass and wait a long time lol.. new construction been insane last couple years.. people just starting to catch up now that interest rates are high as fuck
__________________
"PSH!!!"
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:53 PM   #3
BradM
Bad Santa
 
BradM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,551
Default

Charlie, the guy with the flag foxbody.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #4
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,702
Default

Are you using a lender? We're under contract to buy a large tract of land and my lender said any builder we use must be approved by the bank beforehand. He mentioned that they have several builder's contact info from previous successful builds.

We're still months away from even considering starting a build, but that's likely where I'll start (the bank's list of recommended builders).
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #5
dcs13
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,828
Default

Not sure of your plans. We used Tilson as our builder in the Hill Country and couldn't have been more pleased. Our Friends in Collin County used them based on what they saw at our place. They finished in June and are happy as well.
Tilson builds all over the State. They have a little advantage on materials because of their "bulk" buying. Their upfront contract price only changed when we made a change. No surprises on their part.
We did use one of their floor plans, but modified it pretty heavily. Just a thought...
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member
 
black2002ls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,726
Default

I can probably give you a general idea of cost per sq ft. To build with current prices. Shoot me a message

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:58 PM   #7
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,702
Default

I spoke to two different builders around 6 weeks ago and both told me the same number - $130/SF - for the house and roughly $40/SF for a shop.

The number for the house includes everything except the land. Utilities from the street, driveway, complete build on your land. Not ultra high-end finishes but not a budget builder's grade either. A nice custom home.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #8
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,097
Default

Given the current costs of materials and labor $130/sf sounds low to me. My new house was a lot more than that but it’s super nice. It is also in a much cheaper area than DFW. My 2018 new build that we sold in DFW earlier this year sold for well over $200/sf. We paid about $160/sf to build it in 2018 and it was 1.5 stories. I feel like the 2nd story per sq ft is always a rip off.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #9
dcs13
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,828
Default

Havent bought any lumber in a while I needed 2x10x 8 footers for some scaffolding. I was pleasantly surprised when I paid 7.98 each today. I was expecting double that. So lumber has settled.
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #10
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Given the current costs of materials and labor $130/sf sounds low to me. My new house was a lot more than that but it’s super nice. It is also in a much cheaper area than DFW. My 2018 new build that we sold in DFW earlier this year sold for well over $200/sf. We paid about $160/sf to build it in 2018 and it was 1.5 stories. I feel like the 2nd story per sq ft is always a rip off.
Both builders mentioned that prices have come down considerably in the recent past. I did find it interesting that they both gave me the exact same price per square foot. I didn't hint at a number at all.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,097
Default

That sounds like a good deal given the current market. If you can swing it and plan to live there a long time, it might be worth it. If you have to borrow at current internet rates though, you may want to hold off.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #12
jewozzy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
I spoke to two different builders around 6 weeks ago and both told me the same number - $130/SF - for the house and roughly $40/SF for a shop.

The number for the house includes everything except the land. Utilities from the street, driveway, complete build on your land. Not ultra high-end finishes but not a budget builder's grade either. A nice custom home.
What builder? I would assume this is in the county? I'm in the process right now of building a small basic home for my mom and I'm at $170.
jewozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:10 PM   #13
dcs13
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,828
Default

Have you looked at Tilson homes? They built our place in the Hill Country. They did awesome for us. Our friends in Farmersville used them as well with great results.
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:06 PM   #14
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewozzy View Post
What builder? I would assume this is in the county? I'm in the process right now of building a small basic home for my mom and I'm at $170.
My lender recommended these two. I have zero experience with either of them other than one phone call to discuss pricing. Both of them quoted me $130/SF (garage and porches count towards that number) within the last two months. Both said this was a nice custom home, not run-of-the-mill spec home.

I have done a number of builds with Hunt Brothers Construction, Richard Hunt at 214-325-0531 and Scott Clements at 469-853-7952. Both of these builders are in great standing with ANB and build a good home as well.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 10:48 AM   #15
jewozzy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
My lender recommended these two. I have zero experience with either of them other than one phone call to discuss pricing. Both of them quoted me $130/SF (garage and porches count towards that number) within the last two months. Both said this was a nice custom home, not run-of-the-mill spec home.

I have done a number of builds with Hunt Brothers Construction, Richard Hunt at 214-325-0531 and Scott Clements at 469-853-7952. Both of these builders are in great standing with ANB and build a good home as well.
Thanks I'm going to reach out to them.
jewozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:08 AM   #16
fastwhite99gt
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delta Junction, Alaska
Posts: 598
Default

Fuck, I wish it was anywhere near $40-50/sqft up here for a shop. Alaskan prices have me seeing red half the time. I’ve been told by several builders for a 40x60 shop with 12’ walls, $100/sqft. That’s for a bare wall shop, no rooms, no water, nothing. My only extra expense will be a heated floor
fastwhite99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:01 AM   #17
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,922
Default

What area?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
don’t build next to nays, fico score 575 ok?, underwater on mortgage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.