Jade’s 66: father/daughter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordblue625 View Post
    Love the aqua! Like you had mentioned elsewhere, it's nice to see actual color being used instead of the usual black/gray/blah. Nice progress!
    Heck yeah, thanks man!

Comment

Quick update on progress. Subframe connectors are in (didn't get good pics yet), We're working on getting the old 289 and 3 speed transmission out, and we took a big step back in order to take two steps forward. Quarter and tail light panels are finally removed! New donor corner is being prepped, and I'm hoping we'll get this corner back together in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

Edit: sorry the pics are so big. :/

After rust converter paint has been applied.

Comment

Coming along nicely. I'm also a big fan of that aqua interior combo. You may have already said but I don't want to reread the whole thread. What color is the exterior going to be? Vinyl top? Has she settled on a wheel combo yet?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          Coming along nicely. I'm also a big fan of that aqua interior combo. You may have already said but I don't want to reread the whole thread. What color is the exterior going to be? Vinyl top? Has she settled on a wheel combo yet?
          No vinyl top, exterior is going to be a 2020 Jeep color: Bikini Pearl

Danny sourced us some cool chrome steel slots. They're actually Japanese, and likely for original Z cars, but the bolt pattern is right. Should be cool.

Comment

Nice progress, Bikini Pearl is a cool color. I'll have to pull up the formula, but I believe it has green pearl in it to make it color shift from blue to green.

Though being the Ford enthusiast I am, I would probably go with the Ford Performance Blue, it has cool color shifting as well. The original color for the Ford GT was Liquid Blue Metallic, it was a 6 stage candy type color but very expensive to do, so Ford teamed up with BASF (iirc) to make a similar color as LBM but not as expensive, Ford Performance Blue is what they came up with and is what I would use...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Attached Files
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

That Jeep Bikini color in the Sikkens formula is a tri-stage color so I'm assuming it is a tri-stage color across the board. Though in the Lessonal formula its a bc/cc color, but because it uses a white pearl it will be high, though not as high as a tri-stage but still be premium mix. Nothing in a metallic mix is going to be affordable, but the tri-stage colors are high as giraffe pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  That Jeep Bikini color in the Sikkens formula is a tri-stage color so I'm assuming it is a tri-stage color across the board. Though in the Lessonal formula its a bc/cc color, but because it uses a white pearl it will be high, though not as high as a tri-stage but still be premium mix. Nothing in a metallic mix is going to be affordable, but the tri-stage colors are high as giraffe pussy.
                  This is great info! Thanks for that. Any other intel you can provide on the process would be greatly appreciated. There's enough dynamic range in the shadows/highlights, I figured it wasn't a simple color to spray. But that's what the kid wants, and to be perfectly honest, I love the color too, so we're gonna make that happen.

Any specific recommendations?

Comment

check on Wanda paint .

Comment

Roger that, will do. Thanks!

Comment

If you need a booth to spray it in, my shop neighbor built one in one of his bays.. I mean, he'd probably be happy to spray it too, but has said he'd be willing to 'rent' it for DIY'ers.

He's now doing epoxy counter-tops, which was why he initially built it, but has done paint and body for 15 or 20 years on commercial stuff (most recently locomotives, private aircraft before that).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          If you need a booth to spray it in, my shop neighbor built one in one of his bays.. I mean, he'd probably be happy to spray it too, but has said he'd be willing to 'rent' it for DIY'ers.

He's now doing epoxy counter-tops, which was why he initially built it, but has done paint and body for 15 or 20 years on commercial stuff (most recently locomotives, private aircraft before that).
                          Well that’s cool, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks man!

Comment

I've been retired from collision repair for almost 10 years now, but my good friend has a shop near Tyler, I called him last night to find out about that color because it seemed to color shift in most of the pictures I saw online. He has a Lessonal mixing system and he was still at the shop messing around with his personal vehicles, so I told him to look up both formulas. He gave me the info on the Jeep color.
                            Not sure where your going to get your paint or who your using but most color supply and paint shops have their specific mixing banks.
                            I prefer Standox, its a euro paint, but any of the main euro paints are excellent, Spies Hecker, Standox, Glasurit, Lessonal, Wanda and Sikkens. They will offer a bc/cc formula that will be very close, but if its a 3 stage color than to get that effect your going to have to use that 3 stage process.

Comment

Much appreciated! That’s great to know. Thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                                Much appreciated! That’s great to know. Thank you sir.
                                Oh yeah, anytime. I have a head full of body shop information, always here to share what I know. One thing that has not changed is the preparation of the body, it doesn't matter what brand paint you use, if the car isn't prepped correctly, everything will show, especially in the darker glossier colors.

But with Danny and that crew helping you, you should be OK...

Comment

Working...
                                X