No announcement yet.

Millennials - What are your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm never going to be rich, but I'll always have enough money to feed myself and put a roof over my head. Ultimately staying alive is what's important, everything else is just fluff and luxuries. I'm not college educated, but I think I'm smart enough to learn anything so I doubt I'll ever have a problem finding some sort of employment. Out of my two siblings and I, I'm the only one that's self sufficient. Idungetit.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      A million net worth isnt much.
      That's the scariest part to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
        A million net worth isnt much.
        It certainly won't be in 20-30 years.
        Ford
        GM
        Toyota
        VAG

Comment

I'm in my early 30s and doing very well but i'm still scared shitless. We live reasonably but it's still hard to put as much away as we want to. (1x Car Loan, Paid-For House, No other debt at this point)

My folks were able to store away a ton and have been retired for the last few years and can enjoy themselves. My dad tells me all the time that he we couldn't have grown up like we did and still saved like he did in present day.

Edit: Read through the thread again and would echo some of the other thoughts.... Wether I'm scared or not I'm going to work my ass off until I can't anymore to make sure we make it regardless. I won't settle in and just assume everything is going to work out. I will make every effort possible to ensure that it does.
          Last edited by Treybiz; 02-19-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

If any of my inventions work out...I'll be a millionaire in a few years suckas!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              If any of my inventions work out...I'll be a millionaire in a few years suckas!!!!
              Your auto-fellatio assist strap with cramp relieving quick release has potential.

Comment

I'm in my early/mid 20's. My generation is way too far concerned with which app they are going to get next. They are incredibly reliant on the Internet for knowledge instead of figuring things out for themselves. My generation does not know many types of trades or skills either, for example working on a car. It's the parents fault for coddling the shit out of them and not preparing them for the real world.
                Detailing by Dylan
                817-494-3396
                Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
                Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

You still down to test this weekend? Its not gay if it's for science.

Comment

Originally posted by Dlachance View Post
                    I'm in my early/mid 20's. My generation is way too far concerned with which app they are going to get next. They are incredibly reliant on the Internet for knowledge instead of figuring things out for themselves. My generation does not know many types of trades or skills either, for example working on a car. It's the parents fault for coddling the shit out of them and not preparing them for the real world.
                    This is a far cry from the truth. I know more people my age that can run a CNC or hand mill than people of older generations. I know more people my age that can weld than older generations. The list goes on...

Maybe you need to ask yourself why you surround yourself with so many slap Dick's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      This is a far cry from the truth. I know more people my age that can run a CNC or hand mill than people of older generations. I know more people my age that can weld than older generations. The list goes on...

Maybe you need to ask yourself why you surround yourself with so many slap Dick's.
                      You need to get out more. They are everywhere.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

it's pretty observant in my industry that there are no 40 year olds in the trade. There are a few but most of them that i know of are content with just going to work 40 hr/wk, and have no drive to move ahead.

There is a huge group of 30 year olds who are moving out of the field and into management/super vision earlier because the 50/60 year olds are realizing that they need to get younger talent in, and caught up to speed before they retire.

Comment

But the 20 year olds beheind up 30 year olds are fucking idiots for the most part, so i think we will see that generation skipped over for the now teenagers who are willing to learn.

Comment

I'm a definition Gen Xer. It's no secret around here, I'm in middle-management in a large corporation...been here almost 17 years, I was 27 when I walked in the door....so I've had some time to see the last couple generations come through our workforce, while also working along side baby-boomers and other Gen Xers. It's been most interesting to me to see the difference between the Millennials and Gen-Y.

The Gen-Y crowd wasn't a lot different from Gen-X IMO...still a lot of hard workers that didn't mind rolling up their sleeves and doing whatever it takes, with some quality and pride....but they also seem to be the ones that really strive for recognition, kudos, or sometimes just need a hug! The ones on the tail end of that generation were where we started to see more of the entitlement issues and pretty much laziness as a trend. The Millennials, I will say, are more-so that way than any other generation I've worked with so far. The ones that think they are exceeding by just doing their job and meeting basic goals....wanting praise for - "I showed up every day, even when it was raining" type mentality.

We've got a program (same as every large company) where we bring kids in right out of college, and into very specific training and targeted positions....these jobs are literally created for them, to help them migrate from college mentality into the workforce. Through that program I will say that we've seen a stark difference in ratio of good ones vs. bad ones with this Millennial generation....and the entitlement is downright nuts, almost as-if we owe them something coming right in the door. Earlier generations used to be proud and appreciative when they were selected, these kids now-a-days act as if they are making the selection decision, and when they do decide to come here it's almost as-if they think we should reward them for it. Crazy.

They aren't all bad, though. There are also some damned sharp kids in that generation, and a lot of them are already helping us to realize and predict where the trends are headed in our industry....they just work and achieve things in very different ways. As much as I hate to say it, another thing that I have really noticed is the ones who have immigrant parents always seem to be more enthusiastic and much quicker to ramp-up...and they are more appreciative for the opportunity. That applies to those who have lived here in the US their whole life (with immigrant parents) as-well-as those who immigrated along with their parents. What that tells me is that we are fucking our kids up much more, here in the US....unfortunately.

I've read a couple of really good books for anyone who manages folks from this generation -

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Millennials-Companies-Billions-Generation-/dp/0470438517/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424370656&sr=1-7&keywords=managing+the+millennials[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Managing-Millennials-Discover-Competencies-Workforce/dp/0470563931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424370656&sr=1-1&keywords=managing+the+millennials[/ame]
                            70' Chevelle RagTop
                            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

There's a pretty serious DIY culture in the under 30 age range. Ruffdaddy is right.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                                I'm a definition Gen Xer. It's no secret around here, I'm in middle-management in a large corporation...been here almost 17 years, I was 27 when I walked in the door....so I've had some time to see the last couple generations come through our workforce, while also working along side baby-boomers and other Gen Xers. It's been most interesting to me to see the difference between the Millennials and Gen-Y.

The Gen-Y crowd wasn't a lot different from Gen-X IMO...still a lot of hard workers that didn't mind rolling up their sleeves and doing whatever it takes, with some quality and pride....but they also seem to be the ones that really strive for recognition, kudos, or sometimes just need a hug! The ones on the tail end of that generation were where we started to see more of the entitlement issues and pretty much laziness as a trend. The Millennials, I will say, are more-so that way than any other generation I've worked with so far. The ones that think they are exceeding by just doing their job and meeting basic goals....wanting praise for - "I showed up every day, even when it was raining" type mentality.

We've got a program (same as every large company) where we bring kids in right out of college, and into very specific training and targeted positions....these jobs are literally created for them, to help them migrate from college mentality into the workforce. Through that program I will say that we've seen a stark difference in ratio of good ones vs. bad ones with this Millennial generation....and the entitlement is downright nuts, almost as-if we owe them something coming right in the door. Earlier generations used to be proud and appreciative when they were selected, these kids now-a-days act as if they are making the selection decision, and when they do decide to come here it's almost as-if they think we should reward them for it. Crazy.

They aren't all bad, though. There are also some damned sharp kids in that generation, and a lot of them are already helping us to realize and predict where the trends are headed in our industry....they just work and achieve things in very different ways. As much as I hate to say it, another thing that I have really noticed is the ones who have immigrant parents always seem to be more enthusiastic and much quicker to ramp-up...and they are more appreciative for the opportunity. That applies to those who have lived here in the US their whole life (with immigrant parents) as-well-as those who immigrated along with their parents. What that tells me is that we are fucking our kids up much more, here in the US....unfortunately.

I've read a couple of really good books for anyone who manages folks from this generation -

http://www.amazon.com/Managing-Mille...he+millennials
                                That sounds exhausting. It has been awhile since I've employed anyone, let alone kids, but I feel like I'm at the point where my patience is dwindling. My class ranges from 22 to 60, and the sub 25 crowd is really difficult to deal with. They act like children raised in a house where their parents got involved in every single thing possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X