Texas ISD’s Owe Staggering $111.5 Billion in Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
    there is no tenure in texas. there is a 3 year probation period. my bride had a lifetime certificate but never a lifetime contract . renews every year .
    base pay for a teacher maxes out at approx 44,500. new hire is less than 30k. so to get to 140k a year you must be in a hell of a district that will throw in 100k . on average teacher pay is a little over 50k . small districts just dont have the money to throw in. i dont think anyone with a brain would go into teaching for the money .
    yes there are some worthless teachers out there but they only exist because of lack of leadership and no balls administrators who will not get rid of them. for the most part parents are clueless as to their rights or afraid to rock the boat.
    if you are not going to hold students accountable for their action don't even start to hold a teacher responsible for the outcome .
    I think there's a lot of misinformation in this thread and overall. Districts vary widely. We moved here from NC in 2001. My wife taught her first year in a small district before moving to Frisco ISD the next year and getting a significant raise -- $8K plus over previous year. It was the complete opposite of the structure for teacher compensation in NC.

This is straight to the FISD site: http://www.friscoisd.org/employment/starting-salary

First year teacher, no experience, bachelor's degree = $47,500
    First year teacher, no experience, master's degree = $48,500
    Starting salaries for other new hire teachers will be based upon consideration for experience...

That doesn't include any stipends for being team leader, department head, coaching, etc. Some teachers are making more than many of you think...

As for why someone would want to teach, well, some people just love helping kids. I 100% agree that you shouldn't hold the teacher responsible for the outcome when you don't hold the students or families. Most just don't care.

Comment

• So I could start out at 48,500 plus? Hmmm may need to get into teaching
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• show me where i'm wrong . state base ? not what your school district pays .

Comment

• Not worth it. Unless you just love kids. You could work two $24k/yr jobs and still have more free time and less stress
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• they should get combat pay ...................

Comment

• Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
              show me where i'm wrong . state base ? not what your school district pays .
              The word 'state' isn't anywhere in your post. Besides, it's not even valid to consider the state base when districts all pay differently. That's like saying a car is $10K when everyone purchased is $20K because the options.

Comment

• base pay for a teacher maxes out at approx 44,500. new hire is less than 30k. so to get to 140k a year you must be in a hell of a district that will throw in 100k . on average teacher pay is a little over 50k . small districts just dont have the money to throw in .

really ? the only min/max would be state base . from there it is different in every district. the smaller the district the closer to base you get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                  lol @ a public school teacher in TX making $140k/yr
                  Did I say Texas? I see that in the northeast primarily. Today as a matter of fact, I saw 129k.

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                  I'm going to have to raise the BS flag on that one too. There is no way a regular classroom teacher in a public school makes that.
                  Dead ass wrong. I've been seeing it for years.

I have even seen several janitors at public schools making 100k. And i'm dead serious.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• My daughter's (former) kindergarten teacher is the highest paid teacher at her school. 35+ years and two masters = $75,000.

Comment

• In many parts of the country 129K a year is not a lot of money.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        In many parts of the country 129K a year is not a lot of money.
                        Also remember that's for 10 months.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Also remember that's 5-7 12hr days per week with the lion's share being spent with a bunch of annoying ass kids and the rest of the time dealing with bullshit PC politics and just enough unrealistic patents sprinkled in to make you wonder why you started in the first place.

At least, that's what I see my wife and her colleagues do.

I wouldn't do her job for $250k/yr,and I'm not exaggerating one bit
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• I agree with that, I wouldn't either.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Did I say Texas? I see that in the northeast primarily. Today as a matter of fact, I saw 129k.

Dead ass wrong. I've been seeing it for years.

I have even seen several janitors at public schools making 100k. And i'm dead serious.
                              That's not surprising if you're comparing salaries to other states but the discussion was about Texas and you go and throw out random numbers you found on Google. I have friends that are teachers in California that start out making 80K a year. That's equivalent to about 35K here. It was an apples to oranges comparison. In Texas I know teacher that have 30+ years experience and they only make about 70K per year. Teachers don't do it for the money. There is a ton of waste in other areas that have already been discussed. AISD passed a 563 million bond package last year that they are going to cost 1.3 Billion by the time they pay back the interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                                Also remember that's for 10 months.
                                10 months of 10/12 hour days works out to about the same 2080 hours that we generally work. It's unfair to compare a typical 8-5 job with that of a teacher, sure they leave the school at 4p, but very rarely are they "off work" until much later in the evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X