DIY Solar Screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Solar Screens?

I want to do solar screens on all of my windows. They aren't a thing up here at all, and no one even knows what they are when I ask around, so having them professionally done isn't an option. I'm fairly handy, and would probably enjoy doing them myself. Has anyone done this on their own? If so, what brand, where did you get them, was it pretty simple, do you like them, and do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

I did mine about 7-8 years ago. I bought the screen, framing, and piping from Home Depot. It's easy...they even make special corner clips that eliminate making 45 degree cuts. Just buy the roller tool to press in the pipe (whatever it's called), measure your frames and roll it in place. It takes a little practice to install the screen in the frame without bowing the frame to the middle (too tight) or having wrinkles/waves in the screen (not rolling it in evenly), but you'll have that figured out by the 1st or 2nd screen.

Just be ready for your inside plants to die.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
      I did mine about 7-8 years ago. I bought the screen, framing, and piping from Home Depot. It's easy...they even make special corner clips that eliminate making 45 degree cuts. Just buy the roller tool to press in the pipe (whatever it's called), measure your frames and roll it in place. It takes a little practice to install the screen in the frame without bowing the frame to the middle (too tight) or having wrinkles/waves in the screen (not rolling it in evenly), but you'll have that figured out by the 1st or 2nd screen.

Just be ready for your inside plants to die.
      Thanks! My old lady can't keep an inside plant alive anyway. No worries there.

Comment

I've helped replace regular screens (putting new material in existing frames) and it wasn't too bad at all. The trickiest part will be measuring all of the windows and cutting stuff to minimize waste.

Comment

A longgg time ago (25+ years) I worked at a screen company. The majority of our business was commercial but we would do a few residential jobs. We would assemble the screens on large tables with particle board tops. This allowed us to screw wooden blocks in to act as jigs. To keep the screen material properly tensioned, and prevent the frames from bowing in, we would put a outward bend in the frame members using a simple hand press. Other than that, assembly is pretty straight forward and goes quickly.

Comment

Duct tape + aluminum foil, or a Confederate flag

Comment

Working...
            X