Muscle soreness and Ice Bath ???s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle soreness and Ice Bath ???s

Does it work? Why/how does it work? My lower back and legs are very sore (just sore, didn't pull or strain anything) from my new duties at work and I have to do it all again tomorrow. So I'm looking for a couple home remedies to reduce some soreness. Is heat or ice better? Or both? Any dos or don'ts for ice baths? How long to stay in?

Any and all insight is appreciated.
    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

My girlfriend (who is an RN) said take 2 Advil & take a hot bath.

Comment

Not sure if you have a gym membership, but stretching in the steam room and sauna, followed by relaxing in the whirlpool really helps me.

Comment

Sleep. hot bath in the morning with a stretch.

In a few days you'll be used to it.

The legs thing could be normal, but back pain is something i never like to have.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
          My girlfriend (who is an RN) said take 2 Advil & take a hot bath.
          I'll do the hot bath but I try to stay away from ANY & ALL medicine unless absolutey necessary.

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
          Sleep. hot bath in the morning with a stretch.

In a few days you'll be used to it.

The legs thing could be normal, but back pain is something i never like to have.
          Yeah I'll get used to it but right now I'm just waking up some new muscles. Mostly my lower back and hamstrings are very tight and sore from bending over and picking up 30-50 pound cases repetitively(1200-1300 times).

Comment

Stretching and plenty of water.

Comment

Get electrolytes (sodium and potassium) and magnesium. Lactose (the sugar in milk) is usually depleted after working out and replenishing that will help alleviate soreness as well.

Bananas and milk.
              Last edited by 0 GT 2; 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM.
              An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

I have taken ice baths after football games and it seemed to help with pain the next day. Not muscle pain, but more bruising, ect....things you would expect from a game. Sauna/hot bath/stretching seems like a better idea to me. Oh yea, some vicodin will help too. lol

Comment

I'm pretty sure you dont want tontake an ice bath...but a warm bath. Helps with circulation if I remember properly. Or I could be all mixed up and wrong. Either way I'm sticking to warm bath.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

usually when im done hitting the job i hit the pool for 45 minutes...helps keep the soreness down and the inflamation that builds up.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSizeMike View Post
                        I have taken ice baths after football games and it seemed to help with pain the next day. Not muscle pain, but more bruising, ect....things you would expect from a game. Sauna/hot bath/stretching seems like a better idea to me. Oh yea, some vicodin will help too. lol
                        This is what I've always done too. The cold bath was more to help lower the bruising after a game, etc like Mike mentioned. When I used to circuit train really hard (2-3 hrs) I would immediately jump in the hot tub afterwards and crank up the heat and soak for 20-30 min. It would really help relax my muscles and keep the soreness down. I would suggest that if you have one available, if not get in the tub, keep it toasty and soak for atleast 30 min.

Keep some Icy/Hot handy too, it can really help if you're short on time or don't have time to soak...
                        Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Gatorade and some Motrin. Your body will acclimate and the soreness will subside.

Comment

When I was undergoing some treatment for my plantar fasciitis (sp?) the Doc had me ice my entire foot for 10-15 minutes every night. I did it ONE time! That shit HURTS!

Comment

Working...
                            X