animal medical insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• animal medical insurance?

My girlfriend is trying to convince me in getting some medical insurance for my 2 year old Border Collie. Does anyone have it for your pet? is it worth it? How does it work?

Thanks in advance

It typically covers office visits/shots 100%. It'll discount surgeries heavily, discounts meds and mine covered the surgical teeth cleaning 100% for all 3 dogs. I also have coverage with my auto through Progressive that if I get into a wreck with the dogs in the car they're taken care of.

EDIT: As far as being worth it I've dropped it for now. I have 3 dogs to cover policies for and it went unused besides shots/teeth cleaning. However, if your dog is frequently into junk or has health issues it is worth it. My oldest scared me by not handling the anesthesia well for his cleaning so I opted I won't do it again on him, because I spent an afternoon crying with him "dead" on a cold steel table. I may add him back soon due to getting older and know hip issues in Malamutes, but so far so good. I do still carry my coverage via Progressive though.

Comment

Originally posted by downshift_me View Post
      It typically covers office visits/shots 100%. It'll discount surgeries heavily, discounts meds and mine covered the surgical teeth cleaning 100% for all 3 dogs. I also have coverage with my auto through Progressive that if I get into a wreck with the dogs in the car they're taken care of.
      what company do you use and how much a month? because I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a teeth cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by gav91183 View Post
        what company do you use and how much a month? because I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a teeth cleaning.
        I used Banfield, but take that with a grain of salt, because a lot of them SUCK. I have 2 locations I love and they actually know my boys. I was around $100 a month for 3 dogs. The cleaning is about a grand per dog.

Comment

I used Banfield, but take that with a grain of salt, because a lot of them SUCK. I have 2 locations I love and they actually know my boys. I was around $100 a month for 3 dogs. The cleaning is about a grand per dog.
          Yeah, fuck a whole bunch of that.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

jesus christ...

I'm lucky we have a country vet.

$300 to clean teeth.
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I considered it myself, but did some research online and the general consensus was it wasn't worth it unless you had to have a major surgery...I have a "country vet" as well. Teeth cleanings are around $150. My dog did have to go to a specialty surgery center to have his gal bladder removed in November. I only WISH I had insurance to cover that !...

Comment

Lol at 300 for tooth cleaning being good.

Country vets should only be around 100-150...

Comment

The wife and I have the ban field plan on our 2 cats. Its been well worth it and we have saved a ton of cash.
                  "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

I have the gopetplan insurance for my 2 English Bulldogs, it has and will save us a shitload of money on visits. It even covers some pre existing and hereditary conditions. My boy had 23 cherry eye surgeries and I only had to pay the deductable, plus the rates are pretty good.

Get pet insurance with the most comprehensive coverage that fits your budget. Enjoy hassle-free claims and use any vet in the U.S. or Canada.
                    Ded

Comment

Holy hell that is high for teeth cleaning. The vet I use in Keller charged me $140 for it, including anesthesia.

Comment

dont forget you cant compare apples to apples without knowing the dogs weight. Anesthetics are usually charged by the dogs weight.

It cost me $400 to put my Mastiff to sleep for an xray. The anesthetic was $150, the reversal was the rest. He does weigh 220lbs though

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          dont forget you cant compare apples to apples without knowing the dogs weight. Anesthetics are usually charged by the dogs weight.

It cost me $400 to put my Mastiff to sleep for an xray. The anesthetic was $150, the reversal was the rest. He does weigh 220lbs though
                          jesus, apparently mine is a lightweight at 175!

I was thinking about getting him laid before he gets his nuts chopped off, but I guess he will remain a virgin.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

A bullet is cheaper

Comment

Working...
                            X