Moving car into a family members name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving car into a family members name

Over the summer, I bought my sister a Hyundai Sonata that came with a rebuilt title. I paid all the fees and put it in my name and gave her the car under the assumption that she needed to put it in her name. She hasn't been able to do that over the 6 months that shes had the car, and recently she accrued some charges that I have to pay for since its in my name.

I'd like to get the car moved out of my name and put in hers for Christmas, but I am not sure what it will cost, any ballparks estimates out there? It will be moved from my name to my sisters, her last name is not the same since she is married though, so not sure if that is an issue.

I've never done a gift transfer before, so any information sans what I've read online would be great.

Last time we did that, being it was from me to my dad, we did a name change only. I think it was $5 or something like that.

Comment

Texas procedure for transferring a vehicle title when buying, selling, inheriting, or donating a car. Learn all the TX DOT's requirements to officially change ownership of a vehicle.

Look for this section: Gifted and Donated Vehicles

Comment

To add to the previous statements, you will need the these two forms filled out. $5 fee instead of sales tax and then the title fees. About $30.

If it is registered in your name, it will just transfer over to her.

Comment

I saw that information and wanted to make sure it was really that cheap. Thanks guys!

Comment

Sounds like you got the info you needed.

if someone gave me a car i would damn sure take care of business a bit faster. Maybe there is something i am missing but damn she sounds lazy and ungratefull. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by smrr1 View Post
              Sounds like you got the info you needed.

if someone gave me a car i would damn sure take care of business a bit faster. Maybe there is something i am missing but damn she sounds lazy and ungratefull. Good luck.
              That was my first reaction, to the point of fuck that i'm just going to go pick up my own car. But that does nobody any good especially since I bought it to help her, not to burden her with guilt or it being some sort of external control ( ie. do this or give me back my car!! ). She's busy as hell, struggling with raising a child that's in middle school ( after raising her first child who is now 20+ ) with limited child support if any. They somehow live in a 2 bedroom apartment but as you can imagine on her budget its not the best location or amenities. She works hard and is exhausted by the end of the day, and I totally get that. I got her the car so she would have one less thing to worry about in her life ( she was driving a 2000 v6 convertible mustang w/ 160k miles my dad loaned her that was falling apart ). She ran a red light and hit a few tolls with no tag. I wish she would have told me before hand, but I'm sure she is embarrassed and doesn't want to ask for help. I know the feeling because I had to borrow $5500 from my dad when I was moving to Houston for a job and it was hard to ask for even more when the time came to move to California knowing he had been unemployed for a few years.

Comment

Oh i get it. I try very hard to not react but think things out and do the most positive thing i can. Not always easy. I admire people who can do this. Just blows my mind. The way i operate i would have had it done next day no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                  That was my first reaction, to the point of fuck that i'm just going to go pick up my own car. But that does nobody any good especially since I bought it to help her, not to burden her with guilt or it being some sort of external control ( ie. do this or give me back my car!! ). She's busy as hell, struggling with raising a child that's in middle school ( after raising her first child who is now 20+ ) with limited child support if any. They somehow live in a 2 bedroom apartment but as you can imagine on her budget its not the best location or amenities. She works hard and is exhausted by the end of the day, and I totally get that. I got her the car so she would have one less thing to worry about in her life ( she was driving a 2000 v6 convertible mustang w/ 160k miles my dad loaned her that was falling apart ). She ran a red light and hit a few tolls with no tag. I wish she would have told me before hand, but I'm sure she is embarrassed and doesn't want to ask for help. I know the feeling because I had to borrow $5500 from my dad when I was moving to Houston for a job and it was hard to ask for even more when the time came to move to California knowing he had been unemployed for a few years.

Sounds like a good candidate for our yearly gift donation! Just because we got burned once doesn't mean we can't do it again. How old is the kiddo and do they need anything?
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Just fill out this release of liability and you won't be hit with anymore fees. She needs to do the registration.

Comment

I got a truck from my father a few months ago and all it cost was the $45 to have a new title issued to me. Take he to the tax assesors office and have her pay the fee. It only took a few minutes.
                      "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        Sounds like a good candidate for our yearly gift donation! Just because we got burned once doesn't mean we can't do it again. How old is the kiddo and do they need anything?
                        I believe he is 13, she needs someone to pay for the divorce stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X