Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build or buy 29er all around gravellish bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
    I really like Specialized bikes but I'd never go for anything more than a fixed tail. I've got a Fuse Comp bike and it's been a great 29er. There is one challenge thought. Even though it's a large sized bike, the handle bars are just too low. I have to use my fingertips to ride comfortably when sitting on the saddle. Otherwise my lower back starts to hurt. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to replace the low rise handlebars with something taller. MUCH taller.
    Mine is almost right there too, but if I'm gonna swap bars, I'm gonna have to get a new shifter cable and brake lines made and I'm afraid of what that'll cost. I don't particularly want a swept back bar either, so I'm also ignorant there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      Mine is almost right there too, but if I'm gonna swap bars, I'm gonna have to get a new shifter cable and brake lines made and I'm afraid of what that'll cost. I don't particularly want a swept back bar either, so I'm also ignorant there.

I think there is enough slack in my cables to account for the bars but I'm willing to spend the money to make it work for me so I'll use it more.

Comment

I called one of my local shops and they said it would be $25 labor then whatever parts cost to install the new rear shift cable and new rear hydraulic brake line. I think that's fair and I think I found the bar I want.

Comment

My current non-road bike has 27.5 by 2.8s or so, steel frame, hard tail and steel fork. I really like how it rides. It's nice and cushy to me, yet doesn't wallow like a suspension bike can at times. Even quality front forks have too much dive under hard breaking for my tastes.

My next bike will probably be a fat tire Surly. I'm not sure if I want to go Ice Cream Truck crazy or get the Wednesday. I'd probably enjoy either. Since my current bike has racks and gear for touring the fat tire would just be for short trips and goofing around.

I know exactly what you are saying on the cost of a build from a frame vs. buying an entire bike. I know entire bikes are compromised, but by the time you buy a grouppo, a wheelset and a frame, you've already busted the budget with no place to sit, no handlebar, no headset, no stem, and other odds and ends.

I am upgrading the brakes on my Surly though because they suck. My wife's mid level Trek has better brakes.

And as for blue bikes. I love my blue bike. I do however want something darker and more subtle for my fat tire bike. I can get a Wednesday frame in battleship grey....

Comment

Go look at Jones bikes. He puts big ass tubeless tires on them, and has some radical looking front end. Runs it at fairly low pressures and does some crazy stuff. Not crazy expensive either for his custom built for you bike. He has some interesting videos for sure. I love my Jones bars but not on my MTB for some reason.

I got my MTB from Bikesdirect. The build is all XT, 2x11, and a decent level Fork. I paid 1499 and it was on sale for like 65 percent off on a spring break sale. Retail was like 6500 for comparable bikes per their site. Realistically it was probably a 3500 bike in a normal brand and took me 30 minutes to build. It is kind of heavy at 33lbs(I guess) with the normal tires on it but I hardly notice when riding. The dual suspension takes some of the bite out of the trails and I can lock them both out.

Cables are a piece of cake. Most are universal and the housings are all the same 4mm shifter and 5mm brake. I stripped my Ti recumbent and re did all of them since I changed the bars out. Kits are like 30.00 but not for a recumbent they have some long runs. I just bought bulk housings and separate cables. Scored a White brothers wheel the other day for 95.00 with a great rim. Although it is tubeless ready and required soap and water to seat the bead. Tight bastard.
            Last edited by kingjason; 06-23-2020, 02:21 AM.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Without actually seeing how this bar will feel, my estimation says it should be perfect to get me more upright vs the 12 deg rise of the stock bars, but I'm uncertain about the width.

vs

Stock: 6061 Aluminum Riser, 720mm Width, 12mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Comment

Just trim the ends off if it is to wide. I stole the bar off my WTF and put it on my MTB. It was half the weight of the Ritchy but about an inch wider on both ends.
                Last edited by kingjason; 06-23-2020, 11:12 AM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've heard that a bar change to something like this would change the geometry, thoughts? It felt implied that it wouldn't be a good ride and to maybe change the stem(I think).

Comment

Nah, changing the bars won't mess with the geometry. You just don't want to change something like the fork or read shock to something with significantly different specs

I went from 3x9 to 1x11 years ago because I never used the lower 2 chainrings, and my new bike has SRAM NX/GX Eagle stuff. I'd never go back to a front derailleur setup
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                      Nah, changing the bars won't mess with the geometry. You just don't want to change something like the fork or read shock to something with significantly different specs

I went from 3x9 to 1x11 years ago because I never used the lower 2 chainrings, and my new bike has SRAM NX/GX Eagle stuff. I'd never go back to a front derailleur setup
                      I ended up putting a Delta riser stem between the headset and bars, it is 3ish inches tall and allows me to be just enough upright to not inflame my herniated discs. It ain't pretty, but it works.

I'm right with you on the 1x setup, much simpler and I think it looks better too.

Comment

Working...
                      X