No announcement yet.

sleepers 2014 deer thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know of a decently priced day lease? I dont care anything about taking a buck, just would like to get a doe for some meat. That and I just like getting out of town for a bit.
    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
    sigpic

Comment

Took this old 7 point this morning.

Comment

Got this 9pt this morning, dropped him at 520yds with a 162gr Amax.

"It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Holy crap, 520yds?? Nice shootin! Nice deer!

Comment

I wish you guys wouls send me those capes. They make awesome show and competition mounts

Comment

All my deer are still nocturnal! FTMFL

Comment

They are never nocturnal they just dont travel far here. They always have to eat so just gotta find them closer to home.

Comment

Any tips on how to get them to move? I plan on growing a food plot. Its just 10acres with 800 acres of raw unpressured land around it. Out of almost 1000 pics I have maybe 10 at the most durring the day since the season started.

Comment

sleepers 2014 deer thread.

The acorns are making it hard or everyone this year. That early cold spell we had dropped all the acorns and deer are going to feast on acorns over just about anything else when given the option. Some years are just harder to hunt deer than others. There is no magical way to make them want to feed when it's convenient for you to shoot one. You have to watch their patterns, find their trails, know where they're bedding, and know where the closest water source is. Once you know all that you can make a more informed decision on setting up a better plot location or a better blind or tree stand location. You also have to use calls. There is no substitute for rattling, doe bleating, buck grunting, etc.

Comment

Red dots are stands
                      Yellow dots are feeders
                      White dots are cameras
                      Blue is a little pond
                      The lake to the right is the only constant water source around and iits a small 10acre lake

Comment

In my opinion you're limiting yourself too much to small areas in the property. You can hunt like that, but you're using a very small window for a deer to walk into your shooting lane. I would put more distance between you and the feeders and use that long pathway down the middle of the property as a shooting lane. With only 10 acres to hunt you're already at a disadvantage, you need to make better use of what you have.

Comment

I focus on natural feeding and water patterns.

The colder it is the shorter distances traveled. Once you figure the place out, unless something drastically changes youll see deer in the same places year after year.

The first year hunting a new place starts with glassing as much of it as i can. Then find a place to hunt. 10 acres is a small area but ive seen smaller areas hold giants.

Comment

Thanks fellas

Comment

Good luck to all for those that are on their last day of buck season. My daughter asked me if she could go along with me, I told her It's going to be very cold and all we would have to eat and drink is peanuts and coffee. She said great let me get my camo on. We will see if she is up to the challenge, even if we don't get anything and she makes it through the day. It'll be a success with temps in the 20's and a avg. 15Mph North wind. I know some grown men that can't deal with that all day.

Comment

Good luck. I'm a bit under the weather or I would be out there.
                                "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
                                X