Hunting Rifle recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
    Check out the Ruger M77s and the Kimbers.
    As I read your list I thought "Sounds just like my M77 in 6mm." Couldn't agree more! Love that gun.
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

M1A.... in case you are facing multiple targets.

Comment

If its going to be your only hunting rifle stick to the basic calibers that you can find at any corner store.

Comment

I shoot a 7mm ultra mag and the long action doesn't bother me. I have yet to have to make a follow up shot.When the deer I hunt are over 200lb on the hoof, I want something that will really break down their shoulder.I also like being able to have 5-6" kill zone out to 400 yds with one point of aim.

Comment

Ruger M77 300WM with a Leopold 6.5x20 50mm, factory target turrets, Ruger ss rings. Hardly breathes hard at 300 yds.

Comment

+1 for 300WM, especially if you want something that can handle larger game in the future.
              1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
              TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
              Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                +1 for 300WM, especially if you want something that can handle larger game in the future.
                .308/30-06 will take any animal in the lower 48...
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  .308/30-06 will take any animal in the lower 48...
                  No doubt, but I like the extra pop for Elk and other large game out at the 450-500 yard range. I had a perfect shot at a nice elk this year with my 308 but at 430+ yards I did not feel the gun was adequate for the distance and a clean kill and had to pass. Later in the trip, carrying a 300WM, I had no such limitations and scored a nice Elk. If the shots are going to be 300 yards or less then I agree a 308 is all you need and ammo is cheap.

sigpic
                  Work In Progress

Comment

30-06 has killed every animal on the planet at some point. I wouldn't have a problem using ig throughout the entire North America continent.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I agree, the 30.06 is an older round but still viable. That is all I shot when I was younger. I would never hesitate to pick up an 06 in North America. Many black bear have been killed in Louisiana with it.

Comment

tikka t3 SS in 308 or 300WM

Comment

.500 Jeffery calibre in a droplock double rifle

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                            ^^^ This guy has it figured out.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                              Doubt this falls within the budget constraints.

sigpic
                              Work In Progress

Comment

Another vote for .300 Winmag, my Winchester model 70 is my favorite rifle I have

I picked up a used Browning A-bolt Stalker 2 in .300 Winmag last year for around 450 with optics used on the facebook gun trade page. It was a nice gun, but I sold it to my dad's construction manager as he was looking for a .300 Winmag

Comment

Working...
                                X