Hunting Rifle recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
    Doubt this falls within the budget constraints.
    Nah, You can pick one up for a measly 10k

Comment

M77 300 wsm on THF for 650 or less
      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        ^^^ This guy has it figured out.
        It would field dress it, skin it, quarter it, and tenderize it in with a single squeeze!

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
          It would field dress it, skin it, quarter it, and tenderize it in with a single squeeze!
          Actually with it's slow velocity it would likely cause less damage than you think. The big heavy slow pills seem to just go through and through without causing the trauma the higher velocity modern rounds cause.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Again, thanks for all the input.

I "fitted" a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, Ruger M77 and Tikka t3 at a local store. I danced between the 700 and M77 a lot and finally felt the 700 was better for me.

I ended up getting a local FFL to get me a 700 SPS AAC-SD (.308 win) and priced me $635 plus tax (also Remington is offering a $50 rebate to boot!). I liked it gave me the option for a muzzle brake or suppressor down the road.

Now...I gotta figure out what scope to get. I up'd my budget to sub-$500. Anybody got preferences on FFP or SFP? Again, want to hunt with dabbling with precision for GP fun.
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Since you went 308 and this is a hunting rifle I would say your effective range is around 300 yards give or take depending on the animal. I love my Nikon BDC I have on my 308, it is plenty of scope for the intended purpose and has some nice features. Plus it has held up well to negative temperatures and crawling up and down mountains. It has been buried in snow more times than I can count.
              1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
              TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
              Work In Progress

Comment

Don't think you'll find a FFP scope in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by elPolloLoco View Post
                  Don't think you'll find a FFP scope in that price range.
                  X2. Expect to spend a grand on it, minimum.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

You can get a fixed power cheap and I believe weaver makes a ffp pretty cheap. I don't think I would like ffp hunting but you might.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Like I said, dabbling at precision. I didn't check price difference between FFP and SFP, so that might make the decision easier!

Comment

Is the sub $500 budget for the scope also taking into account the trigger replacement for the 700? You will also want to have the action bedded, quite possibly a new stock before bedding the action, for when dabbling in precision shooting...
                        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                          Is the sub $500 budget for the scope also taking into account the trigger replacement for the 700? You will also want to have the action bedded, quite possibly a new stock before bedding the action, for when dabbling in precision shooting...
                          It's aluminum pillar bedded now with the X-Mark Pro trigger.

Comment

For that price range, take a look at Vortex and Nikon scopes. A nice hunting scope with BDC can be had for $300-$400. I personally prefer a 4x16x50 because I like the extra light gathering of the larger scopes. I also find that I usually shoot 100+ yds and never dial my scopes below 4x.

I would spend money on ammo and trigger time before I would start upgrading your rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              It's aluminum pillar bedded now with the X-Mark Pro trigger.
                              You will need a trigger...
                              Jury is out on the Rem pillar bedded stock...
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                                For that price range, take a look at Vortex and Nikon scopes. A nice hunting scope with BDC can be had for $300-$400. I personally prefer a 4x16x50 because I like the extra light gathering of the larger scopes. I also find that I usually shoot 100+ yds and never dial my scopes below 4x.

I would spend money on ammo and trigger time before I would start upgrading your rifle.
                                Definitely. Scope now-ish and a bipod later this year and I'm done with it for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X