DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #41
Grimpala
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
$800??? What the hell?
24 yr old, making over 100k in the OK oil fields and driving back to Texas every two weeks. They saw a sucker coming. They didn't figure in his mileage on his truck, depreciation, etc... He had all kinds of deductions that they overlooked, and still charged him out the ass.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #42
slow99
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
Just throwing this out there for those that might need/want some help. My wife is a CPA and does her family and a few friend's taxes. She preps everything for them and then has them submit either electronically or through the mail. She doesn't charge, just takes whatever money they choose to give her.

H&R Block told her cousin(a roughneck) two years ago that he was only getting ~$2500 back and then charged him $800 to prep and file. She filed an amended return and got him another $4800 back.
What's her location?

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.
slow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #43
Grimpala
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
What's her location?
We live in Rockwall, but she works in Richardson and we're in and out of downtown all the time.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #44
quikag
Lifer

Quote:
$800??? What the hell?
That's what I mean about dicking people. There doesn't appear to be flat rates or scales. They figure out how much they can f* someone for and try to get it. They must get commission.

I had a girlfriend of a friend literally have a $24k W2 and a like $10 1099 from her bank for interest income. They charged her over $300 to do her return because she didn't know any better. That is like a 3 minute 1040EZ tax return filing online for free and H&R Block bent her over because she was poor and gullible.

It's pretty messed up.
VAG
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #45
GhostTX
Token Troll

I use Turbo Tax (purchased). Turbo Tax did screw with people on the "upgrade" for what used to be standard features, and then they quickly backpedaled.

Quote:
We have never had someone do it, and I feel we may be missing out on some credits such as working from home and its write off potential.
If you have a "dedicated" home office, you can deduct that square footage "cost" from the home value (percent of square footage, home value per square foot), as well as the same percent on phone, electricity, etc.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #46
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
If you have a "dedicated" home office, you can deduct that square footage "cost" from the home value (percent of square footage, home value per square foot), as well as the same percent on phone, electricity, etc.
Yea, I did all of that last year, I may have gotten a $50 credit if I recall correctly. Ah well, its better than nothing.

I am just curious to see if we are doing everything right since no one else has ever looked at them.
mstng86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #47
David
Lifer

How often is someone audited off of these automated service? I use it for mine, but Im going to a CPA next time. Im sure the CPA will want to see previous years taxes to verify anything new I have coming. All I know about audits is the 7yr one my dad was put through.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #48
8mpg
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
H&R Block will dick you big time. Refunds depends on what you put on your W9 when you give it to your employer. If you get a big refund (unless you get some earned income tax credit or other credit), it just means you over withheld throughout the year.

It cracks me up how people get excited about big refunds (short of getting credits). It just means you loaned the fed your money for the whole year interest-free. Sweet.

slow99, I think TurboTax can use a standard amount for sales tax deduction based on your income, but it's pretty low. The other option is to calculate it yourself. A little trick I use that helps a lot is to print my credit card statement and impute my sales tax at roughly 8.25% of the total. Then I add any car purchases or other large individual purchases subject to sales tax. That normally gives me a pretty nice sales tax deduction.

It appears your wife didn't input the amounts and just took the standard amount presuming y'all itemized.
While that credit card amount sounds good.. have you been audited? I never paid attention to sales tax deduction until this year. Online purchases often dont have sale tax. Grocery store purchases only tax some things. Im doing standard deduction + car purchase tax. We spent a shitload last year remodeling and didnt keep receipts
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #49
slow99
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
While that credit card amount sounds good.. have you been audited? I never paid attention to sales tax deduction until this year. Online purchases often dont have sale tax. Grocery store purchases only tax some things. Im doing standard deduction + car purchase tax. We spent a shitload last year remodeling and didnt keep receipts
Our attorney here at work does something similar to what quikag posted. He totals up credit card receipts for the year, takes 75% of the total and uses that to total sales tax. It held up in an audit.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.
slow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #50
Snatch Napkin
Lifer

I've always done my own, but I was with the same job for many years.
I decided to have someone else do it that was recommended from a coworker from when I was oilfield all because I bought a house and went into business for myself in the later part of last year.
I'm happy that I was only charged $250, but I'm not real sure that she did any better than I've ever done myself.
I'll most likely do my own again next year.
Snatch Napkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #51
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

You guys are getting ripped off! When I was having my taxes done, my lay only charged $75. She was a CPA and used to work for the IRS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #52
Snatch Napkin
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
You guys are getting ripped off! When I was having my taxes done, my lay only charged $75. She was a CPA and used to work for the IRS

When was the last time you had them done?
Snatch Napkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #53
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

2 years ago. I haven't had any business revenue to report since then, so I have been filing my own

black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #54
8mpg
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
H&R Block will dick you big time. Refunds depends on what you put on your W9 when you give it to your employer. If you get a big refund (unless you get some earned income tax credit or other credit), it just means you over withheld throughout the year.

It cracks me up how people get excited about big refunds (short of getting credits). It just means you loaned the fed your money for the whole year interest-free. Sweet.

slow99, I think TurboTax can use a standard amount for sales tax deduction based on your income, but it's pretty low. The other option is to calculate it yourself. A little trick I use that helps a lot is to print my credit card statement and impute my sales tax at roughly 8.25% of the total. Then I add any car purchases or other large individual purchases subject to sales tax. That normally gives me a pretty nice sales tax deduction.

It appears your wife didn't input the amounts and just took the standard amount presuming y'all itemized.
Quote:

Thats what I paid a CPA like 4 years ago but my taxes are pretty simple... I think thats what they still charge
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #55
zemog
Lifer

Quote:
2 years ago. I haven't had any business revenue to report since then, so I have been filing my own

Send me her info, I haven't paid under $175 for 10-15 years
And some of those were "individual tax preparers " not cpa's. I normally pay from 250-450 for a cpa.
zemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #56
SVTNorthTexas
Lifer

I use Turbo Tax every year but mine is very simple and I use the standard deduction. Got back $1100 this year.
SVTNorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #57
Big A
Lifer

Our tax guy charges $140, which is deductible on the next year's return, so even the $400 isn't off putting if you know that you are always over the standard deduction. We set an appointment as soon as tax season opens, spend 30 minutes with his assistant and then him, and leave with copies of what's being filed and amounts for each return (State and Fed.)

Well worth the time and effort saved.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #58
HarrisonTX
Lifer

So how's everyone looking this year?

Im using turbotax again and I'm just about to finalize. I owe $1,100. What in the fuck?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #59
blownragtop
s/n #02753

I made slightly more than the previous year and paid $1,453 less in taxes thanks to the man in the MAGA hat.
blownragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #60
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonTX View Post
So how's everyone looking this year?

Im using turbotax again and I'm just about to finalize. I owe $1,100. What in the fuck?
What's your effective tax rate?

Your paychecks were probably higher.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gimme my refund, nay gettin new rims, nay hood rich 4 2 days, niggas need a cpa, pay nay's welfare, support nay's kid, ur taxe$ pay my $alary, whites pay nays refund