My '69 Grande coupe build (continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '69 Grande coupe build (continued)

I figured I should move the build thread over and update it, since I started it in Canada....

I found this 69 coupe on craigslist, looked at it and drove it home. Everything is factory stock, from the 302/c4 down to the floor mats and owners manual. The title was last issued in 1980, and I figure the car might actually have 68k on it, though it could be a well cared for 168. Being a Grande, it has most of the options, a/c, deluxe interior, vinyl roof.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

The tires that were on it were dry rotted, and I think one of the rears is the original spare. I put a set of bullets on and cruised it around after getting some antique plates.

One thing that became brutally obvious that the car really isn't safe with the 4 wheel drums, even with good tires. I was going to drive it out to Garland to have new exhaust run, but decided that there was a lot more that needed to be done before pipes. I put it back in the garage, and hopped online to research brakes.

off to the body shop

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Brakes arrived t I ordered them from Vintage Venom, 03 cobra 13" dual pistons. Man, I didn't really think they were as big as they are.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Its been slow going the last couple months, I kinda had to take a break and regroup.

I took the car to Brian (OrangechevyII) at Muffler King and had the headers and flows put on. Apparently the original LAMINATED pipes were colapsed and not letting the motor breath. I was literally standing there with my jaw hanging open when he fired it up. It sounds amazing, revs up quick, and will actually idle. I was thinking the motor was old and tired, but it runs great now. Brian did an excelent job, I would highly recomend them.

I have a couple of shots of the pipes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KgMzggR0iz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KgMzggR0iz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

Looking good dude.

Comment

im not even to '10 yet!

Paul did the 8.8 swap along with the T3550 conversion:

315's on 10.5" bullits

Comment

Got some work done inside, too.

Thanks to Mike (ma67cpe) for getting me motivated to leave the race cars alone for a few hours and make some progress. We got the tunnel mounted ebrake handle installed, and the new dash and carpet in.

Comment

I found out that I cant get a Grande interior kit, it would have to be custom made, and I dont care that much, plus the seats dont recline. I picked up a pair of nice black tweed sport seats from a 90's coupe, and will have the back matched at the upholstery shop.

The latest addition; a set of 18'' black FR500's. The car is incredibly dusty, but I had to snap a picture:

Two things became brutally clear, one is that it needs to be a *lot* lower, especially in the front, and I need some kind of stripe to take away the blandness that it has on the sides.

Comment

Looks bad ass man! I will say, I think they Bullets fit the style of the car better and look nicer on it. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                        I found out that I cant get a Grande interior kit.
                        You can't??? Looking good though.

I wish I was motivated to work on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                          Looks bad ass man! I will say, I think they Bullets fit the style of the car better and look nicer on it. Nice work!
                          I liked them a lot, the FR500's came along for a song, so I put them on. They fit better, and the look is growing on me. It sets the car off better, I think.

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                          You can't??? Looking good though.

I wish I was motivated to work on mine.
                          yeah, they offer Grande/Mach interior kits, but they are the simulated weave shit. The Grande had cloth inserts, and even TMI doesnt make them, unless I want to have them make a custom cover...

Comment

Making me miss my grande you bastard!
                            Originally posted by Buzzo
                            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

I need some help deciding on the stripe to order for the sides.

Option A, the '70 Grabber "c" stripe

Option B the '70 Grabber Boss style strip (has 302 at the top)

Or Option C the 69 Gt stripe

Comment

Working...
                              X