Craigslist sucks…for buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
    Apparently facebook is now asking for tax ID info before you post something for sale.
    no way! i call bullshit

Do you need a tax ID to sell on Facebook?

If you run your business individually as a sole proprietorship, you'll need to provide a social security number (SSN) or other tax identification (ex: country ID or passport number).

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
      not so far. at least they have not asked me yet.
      X2

I’ll buy/sell exclusively on “offer up” if that’s the case
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Well I was all set up to see the car this morning, and the guy sold it. It sucks because I messaged him when the ad on CL was 2 days old and he messaged me right back. I asked him what was a good day this weekend and he said Sunday at 9. I said ok cool. Literally a day later the car appeared on the site Barn Finds, and I knew I was never going to get the car, and sure enough I didn't. I subscribe to their email blast and saw it the next day after I messaged him. I knew right then it was over, but kept faith. I checked in with him yesterday to make sure we were still good and he was waffling, moved it to noon on Sunday. I said ok cool, I have cash in hand. Texted me this morning after I had loaded everything in my truck to go get it, and he said he sold it yesterday, sorry. Fucking sucks. It sucks because I wanted to fix it up and enjoy it. I'm sure it went to some flipper with lots of money who will sell it for 75k at auction. Such is the stupid market because of those people. Totally ruins the hobby for somebody wanting to fix something up nice for themselves and enjoy it. The hunt continues.

Comment

i'v found that pulling the trigger on day one is the only way. i've missed out on several from procrastinating or waiting a few days. if i find something i'm on the road the next day. my falcon was only listed for a few hrs when i called him. i was about the 10th caller on it. all wanting to pick it up sat. i was there in 3hrs to get it. he had multiple calls all morning on it. i learned the hard way about waiting till the weekend. now i'm the guy that swopes in and gets it .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
            i'v found that pulling the trigger on day one is the only way. i've missed out on several from procrastinating or waiting a few days. if i find something i'm on the road the next day. my falcon was only listed for a few hrs when i called him. i was about the 10th caller on it. all wanting to pick it up sat. i was there in 3hrs to get it. he had multiple calls all morning on it. i learned the hard way about waiting till the weekend. now i'm the guy that swopes in and gets it .
            I usually don't have time during the week, that's my problem. Plus I want to work with the buyers schedule at the same time and not be pushy. That's if and when they even reply to the email first off.
            Last edited by Trip McNeely; 08-28-2022, 10:08 AM.

Comment

i understand . i use to be the same but the first one there with cash gets it no matter what the seller says. i message them then go to texting right away. they will see a text faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                Well I was all set up to see the car this morning, and the guy sold it. It sucks because I messaged him when the ad on CL was 2 days old and he messaged me right back. I asked him what was a good day this weekend and he said Sunday at 9. I said ok cool. Literally a day later the car appeared on the site Barn Finds, and I knew I was never going to get the car, and sure enough I didn't. I subscribe to their email blast and saw it the next day after I messaged him. I knew right then it was over, but kept faith. I checked in with him yesterday to make sure we were still good and he was waffling, moved it to noon on Sunday. I said ok cool, I have cash in hand. Texted me this morning after I had loaded everything in my truck to go get it, and he said he sold it yesterday, sorry. Fucking sucks. It sucks because I wanted to fix it up and enjoy it. I'm sure it went to some flipper with lots of money who will sell it for 75k at auction. Such is the stupid market because of those people. Totally ruins the hobby for somebody wanting to fix something up nice for themselves and enjoy it. The hunt continues.
                Go to the junkyard and drag something home that doesn't run. Lots of stuff in the junkyard that is only there because the transmission or engine finally died. Otherwise it's all straight, save for a few dents and dings. Forgot this is a car discussion, I was thinking trucks. You still might find something at the junkyard, even something not wrecked. But no engine or trans and busted glass. But you can get it for $800-$1500 instead of $8k minimum.
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Go to the junkyard and drag something home that doesn't run. Lots of stuff in the junkyard that is only there because the transmission or engine finally died. Otherwise it's all straight, save for a few dents and dings. Forgot this is a car discussion, I was thinking trucks. You still might find something at the junkyard, even something not wrecked. But no engine or trans and busted glass. But you can get it for $800-$1500 instead of $8k minimum.
                  How often do you find a 60s or 70s Classic in a junkyard these days? I might give this a try and see what’s out there.

Comment

they're out there but you have to really search. but any 60's survivor is going to be around 10k. montana and wyoming have tons of yards. they didn't crush like other places.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      X2

I’ll buy/sell exclusively on “offer up” if that’s the case
                      I'll have to look that up. Better class of customers?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                        I'll have to look that up. Better class of customers?
                        Hell no, it is awful.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                          How often do you find a 60s or 70s Classic in a junkyard these days? I might give this a try and see what’s out there.
                          Here's my experience: You might have to travel, but you'll find them in Alabama. There's these "little guys" with smaller junkyards that have all manner of old crap. Probably texas too but I'm aware of some in alablamba. Hunt down the little junkyards in texas. There's one in the smaller town of alvarado. There's prine's in cleburne. When you go there ask the owners/workers who they know that might have some old junker trucks. They'll probably know somebody.

Another way is just riding the back roads. Those trucks are definitely there. You might catch some old guy that doesn't know about the gold rush and will sell some old old non-running truck go for $800-$1,500

As for the model, I only saw a few 60's trucks but there's lots of 73-87's. Which were the parts I was looking for. The repop interior pieces often don't fit, it's often better to just refurbish the crusty old originals.

Why not go with a 70's square body chevy? It's a 70's truck like you said, and they are plentiful.
                          WH

Comment

Gasser is kind of right. I live in a smaller town now and commute a lot of backroads to work. I see lots of cool potential projects daily and lots of wildlife. None of this cars or trucks will be on FB or CL but I’d you had cash, you’d be in luck. If I knew what someone was looking for I could ask around. I happened to find my new to me OBS on CL, but it was in the middle of nowhere and I had cash. It was a photo of cash I had that finally got the guy talking. He texted a bit but a photo of hundies got them a lot more chatty.

On my route to work I see an OBS a Buick GS / Skylark, a clean IROC Z, and other potential projects each day. I saw a V8 S10 out making a test hit one morning too. I also saw 3 kids on an ATV one day the youngest in diapers. And then the deer……. The deer, and raccoons, armadillos, turtles, and possums. One night I got called in and on the way home I saw 14 deer to zero cars on a 40 mile stretch.

Comment

The problem with most people out here in the country is trying not to get shot pulling up at a place asking about a vehicle. There’s tons of them though around. My problem is time or lack of it, I don’t have time to drive around and look.

Comment

The advantage of starting with some old crusty shit is that you get to make it the way you want it. Buying something already kinda nice, you don't want to spend money to change it. Not when the paint job still has some life left in it.

Just budget $4500 for an interior restoration, $4k-$6k for a paint job. Maybe another $5k for an 5.3L swap. Another $4k for odds and ends, like A-arms and wore out steering boxes. Now you have a very nice truck that's the envy of everyone who wants an old truck. And you're not even going to lose any money when you sell it. Keep it 10 years and you'll probably come out $1,000 ahead.

Redoing the interior is easy you can do it all yourself. Order those parts from USA1 (not LMC they suck). Try to do the door panels and any other interior plastics with SEM color coat, it will save a lot of money. A good quality set of door panels for the square body trucks is $600 new. If they're toast, buy them off ebay in decent shape and use the SEM. Saves you about $300. The sun usually gets those. Mine were fine on the texture but had warped. I've seen plenty that were the opposite, straight but disintegrating.

Don't know your skill level on engine conversions, but there are guys who have tackled the job themselves and it came out fine. You could always get it in there and get it running, then pay someone else to hook up all the little pita fiddly shit. Like the gauges and cruise and things that get on your nerves trying to make em work.

If you don't mind the truck being kind of weak in terms of power, you could save thousands on the engine conversion and just repair the original engine.
                                Last edited by Gasser64; 09-03-2022, 09:04 PM.
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X