X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
    Translated:

I'm lazy and dont want to put in the work it takes to get the degree so I will settle for some dead end job in construction...my ultimate goal is to get to Project Manager...that's where the big bucks start rolling in.
    Rofl!

Comment

Translated:

I'm lazy and dont want to put in the work it takes to get the degree so I will settle for some dead end job in construction...my ultimate goal is to get to Project Manager...that's where the big bucks start rolling in.
      Screw you Dave.

I don't want to sit at a desk all day working for "the man" for the rest of my life. I do have goals and I want to do what I want to do. Maybe I'll have my own business or something. For now, I need to go wherever the money is "right now". I have a 7 month old daughter to take care of and she is FIRST priority.

You're lucky to have figured out what you want to do in life. I'm only 25, dude.

At least you get to "tinker" with patients or whatever it is you do. Good luck with that if Obama Care continues to roll on through.

Comment

• Originally posted by realestVIN7 View Post
        Screw you Dave.

I don't want to sit at a desk all day working for "the man" for the rest of my life. I do have goals and I want to do what I want to do. Maybe I'll have my own business or something. For now, I need to go wherever the money is "right now". I have a 7 month old daughter to take care of and she is FIRST priority.

You're lucky to have figured out what you want to do in life. I'm only 25, dude.

At least you get to "tinker" with patients or whatever it is you do. Good luck with that if Obama Care continues to roll on through.
        I knew you'd see it my way...wanna come do my lawn? I fired that lazy meskin!

Comment

• Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
          Hey man, I'm thinking about doing an officer program here pretty shortly. If I got picked up, I'd want to degree in Mech Eng. Do you think that it's possible to do it in the 3 years that's required. And do you still like your job? I think it's one of the better degrees to have once I get out. Very marketable, no?
          Possible, yes. Recommended? No. I had some classes w/ a guy who was doing his BSME in 3 yrs. He was in his late 30s, his wife was the sole breadwinner at the time so he could bust his ass in class, and he had to get waivers from advisors to do it. He was doing FULL semesters every fall/spring/summer nonstop. F that.

Originally posted by realestVIN7 View Post
          If you actually want to "enjoy" engineering as your major, you need to take it a little slower, because you'll get burned out. Unless you're just weird and love intense pressure from difficult physics, chemistry, calculus classes, etc.
          I love physics, math… any science in general, but I love it on my own terms. It’s definitely different in school (or maybe i just have a different perspective now that i'm 3.5 yrs out?). When I graduated, I was 3 hours shy of a math minor. I was so burnt out and ready to walk that I just let it slide and never did anything about it.

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
          An engineering degree in 4 years is purely a matter of attrition if you do it all on the up and up - actually learning the material and not taking short cuts. It's about getting through it before the curriculum beats you down. It's hard and grueling work, and that's why an engineering degree for most people, even at a full time pace, takes about 5 year.
          I don’t completely agree with this. I did mine in 5 years… I CLEP’d out of English classes and did some BS stuff in mini-mesters so that should have cut down on my time but I also started as a physics major. When I decided to move into engineering I had to move from “school of arts & sciences” to the “school of engineering” and some of my stuff didn’t transfer even though it was all at the same university. If I wouldn’t have F’ed off my freshman year and also actually started in engineering right off the bat I don’t think 4 years would be too much of a stretch.

But having said that, damn near everyone I walked with took 5 years and even then I felt like I had a loosening grasp on my sanity right at the end LOL. Doing it in 5 gave me time to get into extracirriculars, student organizations, etc, etc.

Originally posted by realestVIN7 View Post
          I've always hated math. Lol. I can tell you why things work, what will work, prove why things work, and apply science in the real world. Just don't like all the BS math that it takes on paper. I've got the mindset. I've figured out that I just like to work hands-on, and like to build/fabricate things. I have a mechanically solid, and engineering mind. I have my whole life ever since I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, I truly love all the science that goes along with it, but I actually just enjoy putting ideas into action.
          “I’ve got the mindset” does not translate to “BSME” on a resume.

Stick it out.
          Last edited by Strychnine; 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• I work for a government contractor as an equipment technician. We produce weapon sights, night & IR vision products & Laser protection filters. I can't get anyone a hookup, but from time-to-time, I can check-out some of the product for a week & go play.

Comment

I knew you'd see it my way...wanna come do my lawn? I fired that lazy meskin!
              Where you stays?

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              Possible, yes. Recommended? No. I had some classes w/ a guy who was doing his BSME in 3 yrs. He was in his late 30s, his wife was the sole breadwinner at the time so he could bust his ass in class, and he had to get waivers from advisors to do it. He was doing FULL semesters every fall/spring/summer nonstop. F that.

I love physics, math… any science in general, but I love it on my own terms. It’s definitely different in school (or maybe i just have a different perspective now that i'm 3.5 yrs out?). When I graduated, I was 3 hours shy of a math minor. I was so burnt out and ready to walk that I just let it slide and never did anything about it.

I don’t completely agree with this. I did mine in 5 years… I CLEP’d out of English classes and did some BS stuff in mini-mesters so that should have cut down on my time but I also started as a physics major. When I decided to move into engineering I had to move from “school of arts & sciences” to the “school of engineering” and some of my stuff didn’t transfer even though it was all at the same university. If I wouldn’t have F’ed off my freshman year and also actually started in engineering right off the bat I don’t think 4 years would be too much of a stretch.

But having said that, damn near everyone I walked with took 5 years and even then I felt like I had a loosening grasp on my sanity right at the end LOL. Doing it in 5 gave me time to get into extracirriculars, student organizations, etc, etc.

“I’ve got the mindset” does not translate to “BSME” on a resume.

Stick it out.
              I just don't know if it's what I want anymore.

Comment

• I work for a blind & shutter manufacturer. Product only or with install.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                  I service trolling motors (Minn Kota and Motorguide warranty service center), sell propane, wire boats, install electronics, sell fishing tackle, offer boat storage, and also sell some billiards supplies.
                  Fishing tackle, eh? Where were you when I bought around $3,500 worth of rods and reels over the last 2 years? And a new trolling motor for my boat...

Seriously, do you have a shop? Website? What's the scoop? I fish with a local club and could probably send some business your way, depending what kind of setup you've got and how extensive your product base is...

P.S. I'm an architect. If you're building any large-scale commercial, hospitality, healthcare, avation, you name it, I'm your man!
                  Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I just don't know if it's what I want anymore.
                    yeah, engineering isn't something to do on a whim. Without a real desire to do it you probably wouldn't be happy.

Random pic I found earlier this evening (not true for me at all, but still funny)

Comment

• Man, all this engineer talk is really making me miss Andrew. Wait, no it isn't.
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

huh? You think by 25 and with a daughter you don't need to know what you're going to do in life? (Just got confused on that one)

"only 25?" That's young, but you need to be making progress in the professional world. Cause "only 30" is right around the corner and BAM you run into death soon afterwards.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

• My wife is a Chiropractor
                          A.C. Chiropractic

I do non surgical Spinal Decompression
                          Ft.Worth Spinal Decompression Center
                          2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                          Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                          Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                          Speedlogix Catch Can
                          Resonator Delete

Comment

• I like turtles .
                            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

I should have said many, and not most take 5 years. I think a 4 year engineering degree is very doable, but with caveats attached. I found it very difficult to do more than 12 hours a regular semester and have any semblance of a social life. I don't know about MEs specifically, but as an EE there were also the hidden hours from labs that really make the degree plan more like 140 hours than the 128 or so that they advertise.

And I know exactly what you mean about the sanity towards the end. But then EE's are a bit "off" anyway.

I've been debating whether to go back and get a MSEE, or getting a BSME. Both are very appealing to me right now.
                              Men have become the tools of their tools.
                              -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Random pic I found earlier this evening (not true for me at all, but still funny)

This made me laugh.
                                Men have become the tools of their tools.
                                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                                X