I believe that China is slowly trying to kill/weaken the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe that China is slowly trying to kill/weaken the US

Just other example, marketing poison to our children. When will this stop? Even more reason to bring our manufacturing jobs back to the US.

Coca-Cola has recalled 88,000 drinking glasses in the United States after tests showed some of the decoration on the glasses contained the toxic metal cadmium.

Link 1

Feds are investigating drinking glasses with lead

By JUSTIN PRITCHARD, Associated Press Justin Pritchard, Associated Press – Mon Nov 22, 6:13 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – Federal regulators launched an investigation Monday into lead levels in drinking glasses depicting comic book and movie characters, declaring that the items are subject to strict standards for "children's products."

Testing commissioned by The Associated Press revealed that the glasses contained lead up to 1,000 times the federal limit for children's products. The items also contained lesser amounts of the more-toxic metal cadmium.

In response to word of the investigation by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, importer Vandor LLC of Utah said it would voluntarily recall the glasses, which feature colorful designs depicting the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman and characters from "The Wizard of Oz" such as Dorothy and the Tin Man.

The glasses did not release high amounts of lead from the decorations, and no one would be injured by handling them. The issue is whether the glasses, made in China and purchased by AP at the Warner Brothers Studios store in Burbank, Calif., comply with federal law on how much lead can be in a children's product.

Vandor told AP the glasses are targeted to adult collectors and that they passed testing for lead.

But CPSC spokesman Scott Wolfson said Monday that the agency considers the glasses children's products and was collecting samples for its own testing.

That determination mattered because if regulators concluded the glasses were not children's products, the glasses wouldn't be subject to strict lead limits. The federal limit on children's products is 0.03 percent — AP's testing showed the lead content in the colored decorations was between 16 percent and 30.2 percent.

Soon after the CPSC said it was investigating, Warner Brothers said it would stop selling the glasses in "an abundance of caution." The entertainment giant said that in response to its request, Vandor would approach the safety commission about a formal recall.

A spokeswoman for Vandor confirmed plans to voluntarily pull the glasses wherever they're sold. The company previously told AP that less than 10,000 of each set had been sold and that the products were made under contract in China.

Last week, while commenting on AP's test results, Warner Brothers said, "It is generally understood that the primary consumer for these products is an adult, usually a collector."

However, on Warner Brothers' website, the superhero glasses are sold alongside kids' T-shirts with similar images and a school lunch box. An online retailer, http://www.retroplanet.com, describes the 10-ounce glasses as "a perfect way to serve cold drinks to your children or guests."

Wolfson said the agency also would be collecting samples of other glasses highlighted in AP's investigation. "Those that have decorations that children would be attracted to are the focus of our attention at this point," he said.

Meanwhile, the Coca-Cola Co. voluntarily recalled 88,000 glasses that shed cadmium during separate AP testing that recreated what could escape from decorations during regular handling. The glasses came in sets of four and were designed to look like cans of Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero and Sprite.

Coke said late Sunday that the all-red Coke glass prompted the recall "for quality reasons." The company said that while "tests indicated some cadmium in the decoration on the outside of the glass, the low levels detected do not pose a safety hazard or health threat."

The manufacturer of the Coke glasses, French-owned Arc International, emphasized in a statement attributed to CEO Fred Dohn that the glasses "are safe for their intended use and meet all applicable regulatory standards for cadmium."

The AP testing was part of the news organization's ongoing investigation into dangerous metals in children's products and was conducted in response to a recall by McDonald's of 12 million glasses this summer because cadmium escaped from designs depicting four characters in the latest "Shrek" movie.

Arc International officials said in June that the "Shrek" glasses, made at its New Jersey plant, were manufactured according to standard industry practices, which includes the routine use of cadmium to create red and similar colors.

Comment

Link 2

Coca-Cola recalls 88,000 glasses 'containing cadmium and lead'

Coca-Cola has recalled 88,000 drinking glasses in the United States after tests showed some of the decoration on the glasses contained the toxic metal cadmium.

The enamel included up to 30.2 per cent lead when the limit for children's products is 0.03 percent.

The glasses which were designed to look like an all-red can of the soft drink "did not meet our quality expectations," the company said.

It followed an investigation into various themed drinking glasses which found high levels of cadmium and lead.

The tests were commissioned by the Associated Press on glasses, many of which depicted comic book and film characters such as Superman, Wonder Woman and the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. Decorative enamel on some glasses featuring movie characters, which were on sale at a Warner Brothers Studios store in Los Angeles, exceeded safety limits for lead in children's products by up to 1,000 times.

Warner Brothers said the glasses were not marketed at children. The company said: "It is generally understood that the primary consumer for these products is an adult, usually a collector."

In June, McDonald's recalled 12 million glasses designed to promote the latest Shrek movie after painted designs on them were also found to contain small amounts of cadmium.

The potential danger from such glasses is that the cadmium could leach from the paint on to a child's hand, and the child could then lick their unwashed hand.

Cadmium is a carcinogen that can harm kidneys and bones. It is used to create a particular shade of red in paint.

In announcing its recall of 22,000 four-glass sets for "quality reasons" Coca-Cola said one glass in each set was affected.

It said recent tests indicated some cadmium in the decoration on the outside of the glass but the low levels "do not pose a safety hazard or health threat". The glasses were made by the same company that produced the recalled "Shrek" glasses.

Comment

Everytime I see these stories I think the same thing.

They are intentionally trying to destroy the youth of our nation as well as killing us slowly with poisons. I honestly think we need to stop buying everything from them. But I am sure that won't go good.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          Everytime I see these stories I think the same thing.

They are intentionally trying to destroy the youth of our nation as well as killing us slowly with poisons. I honestly think we need to stop buying everything from them. But I am sure that won't go good.
          I read EVERY label of anything I buy, and I avoid buying stuff Made in China, even if I have to pay double. Some stuff cannot be avoided though.

What's really scary is that our foods are not required to list the country of origin (except seafood) and it's scary how much of the food we eat now is imported from China. And the stupid government won't even tell us.

It seems strange to me that the US government forces companies to list where a pair of socks are made, but not tell us where the ingredients in our food is from.

And the reason for labeling our seafood? Because of all the poisoned fish from China. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
            I read EVERY label of anything I buy, and I avoid buying stuff Made in China, even if I have to pay double. Some stuff cannot be avoided though.

What's really scary is that our foods are not required to list the country of origin (except seafood) and it's scary how much of the food we eat now is imported from China. And the stupid government won't even tell us.

It seems strange to me that the US government forces companies to list where a pair of socks are made, but not tell us where the ingredients in our food is from.

And the reason for labeling our seafood? Because of all the poisoned fish from China. Go figure.

Yea, I tried buying nothing but American made stuff and it is just impossible. Especially for your kiddos. None of the clothes, toys, and whatever else you can think of are made here. ALL from China. It is scary to think american companies are, in a way, putting the health of our youth in the hands of china. A country that will have no problems putting little kids in sweat shop factories, killing miners left and right and overall not giving a shit about human life and overall health.

Comment

China isn't killing us. We are committing financial suicide. You can't blame China for being able to make products people want for better prices. That isn't their fault, it's ours.

We have a huge time and shipping advantage on anything made in the US as well as tax breaks and we can't compete..... Why is that? Could it be because stockholders, unions and the government and all the middle men are taking way too big of a cut?

Too many people in this country are trying to steal a living of the work of too few.

That isn't anyone else's fault. If you blame others, you are just falling in the Nanny State's little trap.

Comment

How about this shit... the glass company is saying that these glasses aren't marketed towards kids, and they may recall the recall. I guess there are only lead limits for stuff marketed to kids? These are 1,000 times over that limit, but the feds say they're safe for adults to drink from? WTF?

No f'ing way I would buy, handle or drink anything out of this lead infested Chinese junk.

Don't buy any of these glasses if you see them, and I would advise not buying anything made in China that you eat or drink from.

Feds dismiss need to recall lead drinking glasses

Associated Press Justin Pritchard, Associated Press – 9 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – A federal agency reversed itself Friday and said lead-laced Wizard of Oz and superhero drinking glasses are, in fact, for adults — not children's products subject to a previously announced recall.

The stunning about-face came after the Consumer Product Safety Commission said last month the glasses were children's products and thus subject to strict federal lead limits.

Lab testing by The Associated Press found lead in the colored decorations up to 1,000 times the federal maximum for children's products. The CPSC has no limits on lead content on the outside of adult drinking glasses.

"A premature statement was made regarding two sets of glasses identified in (AP's) story that has now been determined to be inaccurate," said agency spokesman Scott Wolfson. It was Wolfson who said the day after the AP published its investigation Nov. 21 that the two sets of four glasses each — one featuring characters including Superman and Wonder Woman, the other Dorothy and other characters from the classic Oz movie — were children's products and that the agency would investigate them.

Soon after, the importer of the glasses, Utah-based Vandor LLC, said it was pulling them from the market and would work with the agency to formally recall them.

Wolfson said CPSC staff didn't have the glasses in hand when the agency declared them children's products.

"After thoughtful analysis by child behavior experts at CPSC, it has been determined that the glasses are not children's products," Wolfson said Friday. He added that "the size, weight, packaging and price of the glasses sampled by CPSC are consistent with glasses more commonly used for consumption of adult beverages."

But Wolfson went on to say: "These glasses are not primarily intended for use by a child 12 or younger. ... Since these glasses are not intended for use by young children, it is recommended that parents not provide them to children to use."

The 10-ounce glasses clearly appeal to kids, according to the man who wrote the guidelines that the agency still uses to determine what kinds of items children of different ages use.

"Kids would choose this glass over a plain glass," said Jim Therrell, a professor at Central Michigan University. "If you consider that they are all movie based, they're all fantasy based, the fantasies would probably range in appeal to ages 4 to 5 at the low end up through 11, 12."

Under federal law, an item is a "children's product" if it is "primarily intended" for those 12 and under.

Wolfson said the agency used Therrell's guidelines in the new ruling that the glasses are adult products.

The importer of the Chinese-made glasses had insisted they were targeted to adult collectors. AP bought them at a Warner Brothers Studios store in Burbank, Calif.; at Warner Brothers' online store, they were sold next to children's T-shirts and lunchboxes, while they were touted as perfect for kids on another website.

In an e-mail Monday to AP, Vandor spokeswoman Meryl Rader wrote that the company was working with CPSC's Office of Compliance but didn't have specifics on the recall plan. "The company's trade customers were notified of the pending voluntary recall on Nov. 23 and will be further notified once recall specifics have been developed and approved by the CPSC," she said.

Rader did not reply to e-mails and a telephone call Friday asking whether the company would go through with the recall.

While Wolfson acknowledged the agency had been working with the importer on a recall plan, he emphasized Friday that the CPSC never made a formal recall announcement.

Comment

I just read today about a ban that India has on Chinese dairy products, I wasn't aware of this.

In doing some more reading it seems there have been lots of issues with milk from China, even in their own country

Be careful with what you choose to buy and consume from China!

<---- tinfoil hat on

Comment

It's easier to produce anything cheap when you don't have safety constraints. China has no need to be worried about safety - they are not running out of people anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                      If I'm not mistaken, the food safety bill that was passed addressed this part of the problem. I believe it is now required, but I'm not sure when it goes in to effect.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        If I'm not mistaken, the food safety bill that was passed addressed this part of the problem. I believe it is now required, but I'm not sure when it goes in to effect.
                        I hope you're right, I don't recall seeing that in there, I'll have to do some more reading.

Comment

All I know is that I don't buy any Tilapia from China (which seems like that's all there is).
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                            All I know is that I don't buy any Tilapia from China (which seems like that's all there is).
                            It used to come from South America too, but I don't know if it still does.

Another Chinese (or Bangaladeshi) no-no is shrimp.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                              It used to come from South America too, but I don't know if it still does.

Another Chinese (or Bangaladeshi) no-no is shrimp.
                              SeaFood Watch gives Latin America a "Good Alternative" to USA Farm raised.
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X