Redoing the shower at my parents house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redoing the shower at my parents house

Well... my parents shower had had some mold in the corners and one corner just didnt drain well. I told them I would help them out and do all the labor...so we started today.

The bathroom is outdated though it was built in 1997. They thought the plumber and tile guys did a good job...wrong. There was water inside the pan liner which was leaking from the shower seat and the opposite corner. There was also standing water under the pan liner which saturated the whole concrete floor, and the drain was not supported and had 2" of water/chemicals that had been sitting stagnant.

The plan is all travertine shower, frameless glass enclosure, rip out the right side knee wall, new valve, shower head, tiled ceiling, new shower pan using a Schluter drain, also using Schluter Kerdi for the entire shower as the water membrane. If you guys dont know, Schluter Kerdi is the orange fabric that they use on Holmes on Homes. Its great stuff and allows you to use plain drywall instead of cement board or hardibacker. The Schluter drain is expensive but most the pro's say its worth it.

Cliffs notes:
    This

To:

Lots of pics from todays work

Shower in the beginning:

Glass down

Walls coming down...mold in the sheetrock

Hard to see...but plenty of water under the pan in in the plastic

Mostly gutted:

Water under the liner:

Surprise drain:
    Last edited by 8mpg; 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM.

Old plumbing

New plumbing I got done.. burned my fingers with a bonehead move...

The new valve is a Hansgrohe which is a German valve. It was a bit pricey at $300 for the rough in, valve and handle, but they are adding a rain shower head so the valve was worth the money. It has a built in diverter valve and it is a thermostatic valve. The temperature is controlled separately from the water pressure. Swing the handle right...you get regular shower head. Swing it left, you get rain shower. Pretty neat. The valve itself is made from brass and uses ceramic mixing discs instead of plastic like Delta. I hate Delta valves.

Comment

No green rock or "wonderboard"? Does the floor drain OK? Might be a good time to float a little more drop into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        No green rock or "wonderboard"? Does the floor drain OK? Might be a good time to float a little more drop into it.
        They used greedboard over normal sheetrock when building it. There is no slope in the floor...its down to the flat slab. We will be building the slope out of deck mud...and filling that giant gaping hole around the drain.

Comment

Take lots of pics... this is on my list of to-do's someday....

Comment

Cool deal. We have two bathrooms in our house that we need to redo as well.

FYI, all shower plans leak, it just depends on how much, often, and where it goes.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              Cool deal. We have two bathrooms in our house that we need to redo as well.

FYI, all shower plans leak, it just depends on how much, often, and where it goes.
              This one we are putting it isnt going to leak... Im confident. This Kerdi stuff is awesome.

Comment

Why the ball valves on the supply lines? You making a cutout on the other side of the wall?
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Got the ceiling down, the header built and put up.

Finished up the plumbing...notice the ball valves are on...its pressure tested and none of my novice soldering leaked

Over

and up

Got the first piece of sheet rock up... I measured wrong on the rain shower head hole...the one furthest from the back wall is correct...

Feels good to see progress and see it go back together.

The ball valves will have a cutout on the inside of the vanity cabinet for access. Its cheap insurance if there is ever a leak in the valve to have a shut off without shutting the whole house supply off.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

The ball valves will have a cutout on the inside of the vanity cabinet for access. Its cheap insurance if there is ever a leak in the valve to have a shut off without shutting the whole house supply off.
                    Aight. From the pic I thought that would be in another room.
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      This one we are putting it isnt going to leak... Im confident. This Kerdi stuff is awesome.
                      I didnt stutter.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I remember those days. Looks good so far. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                          Take lots of pics... this is on my list of to-do's someday....
                          X2 I wanna see the floor pan and liner

Comment

Looks great so far. FWIW DalTile in Plano treated me great when I went in there and bought a niche when I was doing our bathroom earlier this year.

Surely you've heard of the John Bridge forum. Lots of great info there.
                            Ceramic tile, marble, slate and travertine advice - free and friendly from the folks at Tile Your World/John Bridge Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                              I didnt stutter.
                              Well meet your first Lots of the pro's on the John Bridge forum do lifetime guarantee on their Kerdi showers. Thats a big undertaking if they dont fully believe in a watertight shower.

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                              I remember those days. Looks good so far. Have fun!
                              Thanks man...I actually love this crap

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                              X2 I wanna see the floor pan and liner
                              Will do...but this wont be a traditional setup with a 3 piece clamping drain, preslope, liner then pan. But regardless, I will get lots of pics.

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                              Looks great so far. FWIW DalTile in Plano treated me great when I went in there and bought a niche when I was doing our bathroom earlier this year.

Surely you've heard of the John Bridge forum. Lots of great info there.
                              http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php
                              DalTile was nice over here in Southlake, but those niches are to expensive for my blood.

I have the same build thread going on JohnBridge forums....thanks for the link though

Comment

Working...
                              X