Took a German foreign exchange student to the range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a German foreign exchange student to the range

So a while back I met a guy from Germany who is here for a semester at a get together one of my friends was having. Well the topic of guns came came around and this kid's ears perked up and he seemed really interested in going shooting. We mentioned that we might be going out on Sunday (last Sunday) and I went ahead and invited him. Boy was he happy. He took my number and I was sure to call him when we went. He told us that in Germany even paintball is illegal because it is too "violent" and that there is a big push to ban all violent video games.

It was a funny event. When I was pulling the guns out of my bag he was dumbfounded that a person my age could have a gun, much less several. When I pulled out my trusty old Smith and Wesson 28, he said "Ah! Zeez is ze gun of Texas correct? Is a revolving gun?" and I just had to laugh.

I walked the guy through the basics and after no time he was hitting the targets dead center. Motherfucker was almost as good of shot as me! I gave him my USP and said "here, this is the gun of the Bundeswehr" to which he responded "ah, so ven I join ze Bundeswehr I will get zis gun?". Of course we took lots of pictures so he could take back to Germany and brag.

Anyways I guess I just felt like writing this because I feel that we take our ability to shoot and partake in shooting sports with minimal regulations for granted. In Germany you have to get a license for every gun you own and be a part of a shooting club. Here we can go to Walmart and bring back a mini 14 to shoot cans in our back yards. I guess the moral of the story is that anytime you have the opportunity to take someone shooting who has never been, go for it. This guy says now that he wants to join a shooting club back home so that he can shoot in Germany!

Anyways, here are a few photos-

Me with the trusty S&W 28 (35 year old gun)

The German shooting a Sig 556-

"Can you take a picture of me with zeez guns? My friends will like it!"

Good times were had by all.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Awesome...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

cool, and Im not even a gun meister !!!
      Vortex rear stand $75
      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
      My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
      11 4 door
      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I can't even imagine how much he is gonna brag about that last one. "Look at me, I was RAMBO!!!"
        04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
        There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

I remember when I was over there, how games like Wolfenstein was banned because of the Nazi references.

Ironic that they're not allowed to have guns, then mandated to join the military to shoot 'em.

God Bless America.
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Pretty cool.

Comment

Great thread Alex, I always enjoy introducing people to firearms. I'm sure he had the time of his life. It's a good point to mention how fortunate we are, and how we cannot allow any infringement on our rights - it's a slippery slope. Whenever you come up I'm going to force you to come shooting.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

That is pretty cool. So do you have to be a particular age to have a gun in Germany? Can you not have one until you perform your duty in the military?

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  Whenever you come up I'm going to force you to come shooting.
                  Haha, alright man. I really want to shoot your Python!

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  That is pretty cool. So do you have to be a particular age to have a gun in Germany? Can you not have one until you perform your duty in the military?
                  In Germany you don't have to have military service to get a gun. You must be 18 for a rimfire and 21 for a centerfire. You need a license for every gun, but they have found ways around this. Many companies make double or triple barrel firearms, with each barrel able to fire a different caliber-

Firearms ownership licenses are valid three years or less, and owners must obtain mandatory insurance and a means to securely store the weapon on their premises (a weapons locker).

To get a firearm you must prove-
                  Trustworthiness
                  Personal adequacy
                  Expert knowledge
                  Necessity

That being said there is a gun community that is very dedicated in Germany. They shoot IPSC, have skeet shooting tournaments (the guy said there is a big range in his hometown), and go hunting. In rural areas hunting is very popular, as their boar problem is as significant as ours.
                  Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

That is awesome, Alex.

+1 for diplomacy.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Anytime you can introduce someone to shooting, it is a good thing.

Comment

That's really cool. Now you just have to bitch at him for having his fingers in the trigger guard in the last pic.

Comment

Have to agree with ya Alex, I am about to take my neighbor shooting from Venezuela where he says the Evil Chavez took everyone's guns away.

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          Great thread Alex, I always enjoy introducing people to firearms.
                          Aha I remember this day when Mr. Schull introduced me to firearms.
                          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

That's a good thing you done there!

I need to take the boys out shooting again, soon.

The river is calling....

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                              That's a good thing you done there!

I need to take the boys out shooting again, soon.

The river is calling....
                              I-wannago, I-wannago, I-wannago!
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X