Photobucket: the last straw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket: the last straw

We all know Photobucket has sucked out loud for a long time, but many have used it for years and you fight through slow uploads and too damn much advertising because you're used to it and all your other photos are there.

Well, they have a new policy that has officially killed any and all usefulness.

They now want $400/yr for third party image hosting.

I deleted/blocked anything and everything from photobucket about a year ago when it got so incredibly slow and bloated with ads that it was unusable. Fuck Photobucket.

Comment

Unfortunately, I have a ton of crap uploaded there. I'm working on downloading each album now. I'll find some other place to put it all.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
        We all know Photobucket has sucked out loud for a long time, but many have used it for years and you fight through slow uploads and too damn much advertising because you're used to it and all your other photos are there.

Well, they have a new policy that has officially killed any and all usefulness.

They now want $400/yr for third party image hosting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rant/commen..._to_not_allow/
        Yep.. It's been all over a couple other forums I am on and the impact has been pretty huge. So many 'how to' and build threads are fucked now, with all of the pics gone. It's really a shame, and essentially extortion. Hopefully everyone deletes all their shit and closes their accounts and puts them out of business. Here's a story on it that is easier to read than reddit..

An image sharing site's change of policy stops photos appearing on Amazon, eBay and Etsy.

Glad I never relied on them..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          So many 'how to' and build threads are fucked now, with all of the pics gone. It's really a shame, and essentially extortion.
          That's the worst part of it. Historic threads with useful information all over the internet, ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            That's the worst part of it. Historic threads with useful information all over the internet, ruined.
            I will say that it is probably a dying thing anyways (forum thread how-to's with pics) mainly because it's all on youtube now..

I just keep thinking about all of the people that have been referred to PB on forums "just get a free photobucket account to host them"..

Comment

well, shit. When does this go fully into effect?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                I will say that it is probably a dying thing anyways (forum thread how-to's with pics) mainly because it's all on youtube now..

I just keep thinking about all of the people that have been referred to PB on forums "just get a free photobucket account to host them"..
                YouTube vids help a lot, but it doesn't replace the dialog that's vital to a good how to thread.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                Basically, now. They're hitting the power users first, but it's supposed to hit everyone eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  I'm working on downloading each album now.
                  Same.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    I've noticed a few things over the past month....

When doing a google image search for something I uploaded to Photobucket, I can find it as a link to a forum page. But the image that google finds is pixelated... or to be more accurate, it is the low-res version of the image that google images has cached.

If I click on the image or the link to the page, I see PB's new image instead of mine.

I tried to upload something larger than 1024x768 and it wouldn't let me keep the original size. Max image size is now hard coded at that setting and you can't make them any larger.

There have been a few other weird things. But it didn't all happen instantly. It's been steadily creeping into my image hosting.
                    Last edited by 46Tbird; 05-08-2018, 08:29 AM.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Well I've created an imgshack account now. Fuck 'em. They should have known they weren't nearly that necessary.
                      WH

Comment

$400/yr goodluck with that!

Comment

Fucking hate photobucket but it's been my go-to for photo backup. Time to get my shit off there. The album download is so painstaking too. "Are you a robot? Select all squares with pies!" shit gets so fucking old.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                            $400/yr goodluck with that!
                            LOL no kidding. no one will pay that. Google is pretty lucky i'm even considering upgrading from the free 15G space they offer to the $20/yr 100G storage they offer.

Ive had success with imgur for hosting.
                            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Damn. My account with them is over a decade old. I'll have to start downloading my stuff back.

Comment

Working...
                              X