Car audio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car audio question

So I am changing the rear speakers in my 91 vert and when I pull them out they have some kind of box wired in before the speaker. Two speaker wires go into this box then 4 wires come out and connect to the speakers, 2 positive and 2 negative wires. Do I just cut this out and wire them traditional of is there a benefit to wiring it this way? The speakers and box in question are polk audio, and the speakers have 4 connections on them, the infinitys I am replacing them with only have 2?
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Been a very long time since I was in the car audio world. But it's most likely a "crossover". Which helps the speaker decipher more range in the audio's spectrum (low/high frequencies). If you were to delete the crossover, the 2 wires leading into the xover is your +/-.

As far as your new speakers go, I don't know that they would benefit from being wired into the xover. Chances are they are at least a 2-way speaker (which has the "tweeter" mounted in the middle of the speaker). Which would already separate highs/lows more efficiently than your old speakers. Crossover or not.

Comment

Yeah I think that's what it is, the Polk Audio speakers I am replacing have a built in tweeter and so do the infinitys I am putting in their place, but the polks have 4 spade connectors and the others only have 2. What if I ran the four wires out of the crossover into two and then to the new speakers? Would that make them sound better of should I just cut it out and wire them like normal? I'm a car audio noob, lol. I just want it to sound as good as possible.
      Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Yep, those boxes are most likely passive crossovers. It essentially splits the signal and sends highs to the tweeter and lows to the woofer. You'll just need to take the crossover out with the old speakers and wire the new ones up normally.

How old are the Polks? Typically, a set up with an external crossover is better than a set without, but there are exceptions to the rule, and of course, if the Polks are worn out or blown, anything would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
          Yeah I think that's what it is, the Polk Audio speakers I am replacing have a built in tweeter and so do the infinitys I am putting in their place, but the polks have 4 spade connectors and the others only have 2. What if I ran the four wires out of the crossover into two and then to the new speakers? Would that make them sound better of should I just cut it out and wire them like normal? I'm a car audio noob, lol. I just want it to sound as good as possible.
          Don't do that! Just take the crossovers out with the old speakers.

Comment

Typically if the speakers come with a xover..use it. If not...don't bother.

Comment

The Polks look pretty new but one is blown so I will just cut it out and wire up the infinity's I bought. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X