• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CWO View Post
    poor advice
    X2

Sent from LG Thrill using Tapatalk

Comment

after using my eiki LX-70 (might be wrong model number exactly)

used for a about 5 years now and I just wouldn't suggest ppl buy projectors anymore.

you must have a good room setup. i just used a flat wall, and that is bad advice a screen is way preferable.
      most importantly thought the bulb costs has pissed us off. We ONLY used it for movies and video games and you were lucky to get a year or so out of a bulb.
      So after you buy 3 or so 200$ bulbs, your taste may sour too.

IMO:
      Advantages - big ass picture is awesome for multiplayer and movies, bragging rights
      also very difficult to find a 65" plus anything without going to projection.

disadvantages - bulb cost continously , must buy an expensive one to have a good contrast ratio (mine was never that great at least) . setup is very very labor intensive, from the cabling, to access, to the screen, draperies , etc
      also if a bulb pops , which is unfortunately often with the POS bulb makers out there, it's a PITA to clean out the projector.
      Also if your wife is stupid and won't clean the filter, jsut shoot yourself

Comment

85% of those issues just listed are avoidable with a decent projector.

To be honest, the only legit negative you listed is install time/cost.

Comment

Originally posted by White94Cobra View Post
          I would do some checking on www.avsforum.com

Tons of info on that site. Find a budget then go do some research.

I've had a mitsubishi hc6500 for over two years now. Been happy with it and bulb's can be had fairly cheap for replacements. I think the newer version of it is the hc6800.
          Bought my dad an HC for his birthday, he absolutely loves it.
          Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Also, there is quite a bit of research out there about screens. People say walls don't work (they don't) unless they are texture free and have the right paint. But I have seen some really amazing setups for less than $100. Typically you will see a couple pieces of drywall butted and spackeled together in a wooden frame and painted with a certain shade of white. They sell projector paint, but most of the research out there actually proves that there is a specific brand and color of white that works best.

Just another route if you are considering to save some money. My dad is the DIY type and didn't want to buy a screen. IMO the picture looks amazing and doesn't over reflect.
            Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
            Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
              Also, there is quite a bit of research out there about screens. People say walls don't work (they don't) unless they are texture free and have the right paint. But I have seen some really amazing setups for less than $100. Typically you will see a couple pieces of drywall butted and spackeled together in a wooden frame and painted with a certain shade of white. They sell projector paint, but most of the research out there actually proves that there is a specific brand and color of white that works best.

Just another route if you are considering to save some money. My dad is the DIY type and didn't want to buy a screen. IMO the picture looks amazing and doesn't over reflect.
              if you have the lumens (i did) , that will work fine.
              Still it's labor over just purchasing a screen.
              my install i just didn't want a screen.
              You are correct, you want a flat finished wall , sanded as smooth as possible.
              If you end up buying the projector specific paint, the problem i saw was it ends up costing well over 100$ just for the paint. WTF ?

mine was ok on the wall, that part was a very minor complaint i had ...
              Last edited by futant; 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

85% of those issues just listed are avoidable with a decent projector.

To be honest, the only legit negative you listed is install time/cost.
                O really ?

how you gonna make bulbs last forever ?

make air filters clean themselves ?

even with more than sufficient lumens , the room will still need to be DARK, how you getting around that ? (remember this is vs. LCD for example which is good for all light conditions so you can see what you are doing)
                If i remember right mine was 10K lumens which is more than enough for a household usage, room still needed to be 50% dark at a minimum for optimal performance.

How you gonna ensure NO bulbs pop, and always burn out instead ?

what you are doing is called overlooking problems. I'm just as guilty of it....

but projectors are not cheap , and not that great of an alternative to LCD unless you just MUST HAVE OVER 65". Beyond that size and things start to even out a bit more. Be realistic, not many of us need 100" plus pictures

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                  O really ?

how you gonna make bulbs last forever ?

make air filters clean themselves ?

even with more than sufficient lumens , the room will still need to be DARK, how you getting around that ? (remember this is vs. LCD for example which is good for all light conditions so you can see what you are doing)
                  If i remember right mine was 10K lumens which is more than enough for a household usage, room still needed to be 50% dark at a minimum for optimal performance.

How you gonna ensure NO bulbs pop, and always burn out instead ?

what you are doing is called overlooking problems. I'm just as guilty of it....

but projectors are not cheap , and not that great of an alternative to LCD unless you just MUST HAVE OVER 65". Beyond that size and things start to even out a bit more. Be realistic, not many of us need 100" plus pictures
                  You're right. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'll go back to work.

Comment

There are pro guys right now replacing popped bulbs and cleaning out projectors of broken glass bits in offices everywhere.
                    Maybe you should imform them you have a sure plan to skirt these issues indefinitely .

Comment

There are pro guys right now replacing popped bulbs and cleaning out projectors of broken glass bits in offices everywhere.
                      Maybe you should imform them you have a sure plan to skirt these issues indefinitely .
                      Weird. Pro guys huh?

Comment

....and unless your projector was in the neighborhood of $25,000, you didn't have a 10,000 lumen projector

Comment

Yea back to the installs of your non-knowing projector knowledge, you newb!

Comment

Weird. Pro guys huh?
                            ....and unless your projector was in the neighborhood of $25,000, you didn't have a 10,000 lumen projector
                            Originally posted by STROKD View Post
                            Yea back to the installs of your non-knowing projector knowledge, you newb!
                            All of this = LOL

Oh and get back to work.... You have shards of glass to clean out of those projectors.
                            sigpic

Comment

ok if you really know shit , then what are you hiding ?

so you guys are trying to imply that professionals never pop bulbs ?
                              The only way you can do that is by buying the most expensive bulbs generally speaking.
                              So how the fuck does that answer the ops question? Only companies that use these daily want to buy the premium priced bulbs, and don't give a shit how long they last. If the bulb works they almost all last the same IME.
                              Until they can make bulbs that last 4X as long, im not willing to pay the highest price for a bulb. No such bulbs exist that last long.
                              Sometimes they pop , sometimes they dont. You can't change that and neither can the bulb makers apparently.

All you guys are trying to do is support all the pros, without looking at the numerous CONS of projectors. There are plenty

my projector was 5000 lumens which you could have found out yourself since i posted the model i used earlier.

Where was that refute about the cost of replaceing bulbs? oh what do know more eerie silence from you guys acting like projectors are so awesome.
                              I haven't given up my projector yet, I've just learned to live around all the CONS that exist without ignoring them and spending all my hard earned money on bulbs.

IT's 10X easier to just buy an LCD ! once LCD's become 100" or more, projectors are fucking retarded archaic pieces of shit.
                              That day is coming sooner that you think, so you might want to find a new job soon if that's what you do
                              Last edited by futant; 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

LMAO at you , A REAL PRO has answers not a cock stroking attitude like yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X