No announcement yet.

dirt cheap car subwoofers.... been out of the game for a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tex, that looks like a well made box, you should cover it and lose that 1982 grill.. JL makes grills now, that and some vinyl or nice carpet and that box will be great for many many years (and look like it was built today).

Comment

I beat the shit out of my JL's the amp thermals at least 3 times a week . The ones in my truck are 8 years old and still hammer .
      The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
        Tex, that looks like a well made box, you should cover it and lose that 1982 grill.. JL makes grills now, that and some vinyl or nice carpet and that box will be great for many many years (and look like it was built today).
        It's a very well built box(5/8" HDF and 1.75" screws, all joints glued then sealed on the inside). I had considered covering it, but not since he passed. I want to keep it just as we finished it. There's an uber amount of sentimental value in it.

He was quite the Audiophile and a world class carpenter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          It's a very well built box(5/8" HDF and 1.75" screws, all joints glued then sealed on the inside). I had considered covering it, but not since he passed. I want to keep it just as we finished it. There's an uber amount of sentimental value in it.

He was quite the Audiophile and a world class carpenter.
          That is ultra cool, man.

Comment

I have always ran JL stuff and its top notch. The secret with the subs is to not go with the entry level W0 series. I have never been able to get those to hit very hard but they do fit their purpose of mild entry level systems. Any of the other series will hit will assuming you put clean power to them. IMO I would spend the money on a good amp. That is what will really make or break a system.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              I have always ran JL stuff and its top notch. The secret with the subs is to not go with the entry level W0 series. I have never been able to get those to hit very hard but they do fit their purpose of mild entry level systems. Any of the other series will hit will assuming you put clean power to them. IMO I would spend the money on a good amp. That is what will really make or break a system.
              Agreed... But W0s will slam with the right power and box. Did two 12 zeros in a 96 Civic and 3 ten zeros in a late 90s Prelude. Both hit high 30s with about 500 watts.

A 12W0 with about 300 rms watts would be all Tim would ever want.

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
                They no longer make grilles for the original W0 woofers. In fact, JL is are on the third grille style for the W3. I would not expect the foam to last much longer on that 12W0. I would not hammer on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                  I beat the shit out of my JL's the amp thermals at least 3 times a week . The ones in my truck are 8 years old and still hammer .
                  Thermal shutdown has not been a problem for the last 12 years or so with the Class D amps being available.

Comment

I've always been a fan of JL. Helped a good friend build a custom ported enclosure for a 15 powered by a slash 500 we just about blew the windows out of his xterra with the thing. I ran a 12w3 in my civic coupe for a couple of years powered by a planet audio amp. It too was in a custom ported enclosure, If I really cranked it, It would drop the rear view mirror instantly. The last system I had was in my 2002 regular cab S-10. I managed to stuff a 10w6v2 behind the seat, powered by a Visonik 800w amp. I got a lot of complements on the way that it sounded from all of my audiophile buddies. If I ever put a system in another vehicle, it will definitely be based around JL subs...
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

kicker comps can be had cheap. ive always had good luck with them.

also a fan of JL's
                      07 f250-family truckster
                      08 Denali -baby hauler
                      52 f1-rust bucket
                      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

JL's or Boston Acoustic

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by Droppedlime View Post
                          JL's or Boston Acoustic

/thread
                          Boston no longer makes car audio equipment.
                          /Boston

Comment

Image Dynamics, Digital Designs, DC or Elemental Designs.
                            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                              Boston no longer makes car audio equipment.
                              /Boston

Lol! Dude, what kind of speakers do you carry. Looks like I'm going to keep this car for a couple of years and would like replace all the 13 year old Mach 460 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                                Lol! Dude, what kind of speakers do you carry. Looks like I'm going to keep this car for a couple of years and would like replace all the 13 year old Mach 460 speakers.
                                Front is 5x7 components.
                                Rear is 16cm components.
                                JL makes good affordable speakers that will fit. You can run them on deck power but I would like to see an amp on them. A 4ch if you're not going to add a sub. A 4 or 5 channel if you want to add a sub. I'll pm you.
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X