Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a GOOD camera......recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that T3i is a nice piece but I'm really liking the Nikon D5100. it just seems to offer the most room to grow as I plan on taking some classes. I still haven't made it out anywhere to physically look at one but maybe this weekend. anyone want to recommend a place?

...and yes, video is a must.
    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
      that T3i is a nice piece but I'm really liking the Nikon D5100. it just seems to offer the most room to grow as I plan on taking some classes. I still haven't made it out anywhere to physically look at one but maybe this weekend. anyone want to recommend a place?

...and yes, video is a must.
      Costco has great package prices with extra lenses, case, memory card on all the popular Nikon
      2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Comment

Originally posted by spederman View Post
        Costco has great package prices
        On which one? I was in Sam's the other day and started to look at one that I thought was the T3i but got sidetracked.

sent from an htc EVO, the iCrap killer.
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

...oh sorry, jumped the gun and didn't read your entire post.
          --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely the 5100. I shot a 3100 in Hawaii on a photo trip tour and my shots suck assholes compared to my wifes D90... I was planning to buy a 3100 as a nice point and shoot toy but gave up when my Canon S95 kicked it in the nuts quality wise.

The 5100 is the absolute minimum I'd start with. If you can swing a D90 its a MUCH better cam imo. I like it more than the 7k series which is supposed to be better and cost more than the 90...

Comment

I was looking over on eBay the other day and came across a few 5100's with a lot of extra shit like lenses, batteries, etc for about the price of a new one. As much as I like and use eBay for car stuff, I don't think I have the nuts to buy something like a camera.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Let us now what you find/decide.

I too am in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                  I was looking over on eBay the other day and came across a few 5100's with a lot of extra shit like lenses, batteries, etc for about the price of a new one. As much as I like and use eBay for car stuff, I don't think I have the nuts to buy something like a camera.

Try www.nikonians.com if you want used gear... Or www.adorama.com has used refurb cam stuff too. Only two places I'd buy used.

Comment

Id buy online from Adorama, BH Photo, etc. Most have free shipping and no tax.

I personally have a D5000 (my first DSLR) and now the D7000. Both are great cameras and the 3xxx and 5xxx series are great beginner cameras. I will tell you now though, the camera itself is the cheap part. Lenses get VERY expensive and often cost more than the camera.

Id recommend the kit lens and also the Nikon 35mm 1.8f lens which is about $200 which is AMAZING lens but it doesnt zoom. Great for portraits and any picture where you want nice bokeh.

If you want to buy used, Id sell my D5000 and kit lens for $350. I dont think it has more then 2000 actuations. Bought it new and still have the box.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      If you want to buy used, Id sell my D5000 and kit lens for $350. I dont think it has more then 2000 actuations. Bought it new and still have the box.
                      this D5000 you have, is it a Nikon or Canon?

nevermind, I found it.
                      Last edited by projectPONY; 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM.
                      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

I was in Sam's earlier today and I saw the D3100 first hand. it's priced at $399. not bad IMO but reading up on the features of the D5100 I noticed that it doesn't feature an autofocus mode. the D3100 does. should this be a deciding factor at all?
                        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

^Huh? Sure it does. That's pretty much the way I use mine unless I'm having trouble getting something focused just like I want. Hell, it's even got several different modes of autofocus.

Comment

Nikon Nikon

Comment

Working...
                            X