No announcement yet.

Plasma or LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED 1080p with 240hz refresh rate is the bomb. I havent seen a TV that has a better pic than my sammy 55in LED. Just sayin. And I bought it 2 years ago
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I have a 70 Sharp LED 3D and that TV is insane the clarity is amazing.
      sigpic

Comment

The only complaint I have with my 60" plasma is the reflection during the day, it also doesn't look very good on SD channels but I rarely watch any non-HD programming so it doesn't bother me too much..

Personally I like the way plasma looks over LCD/LED for a more "realistic and warm" picture. Everyones eyes are different and some prefer the look of a LCD/LED over plasma. For me it's always been a Coke/Pepsi comparison.

Comment

i agree on the sd channels.....didnt think about that

Comment

I would go with an LED over a plasma for a few reasons. Weight, power consumption, static image display, and longevity. All of my Plasma's power supplys have shit the bed well before an LED would have in the same period. Plasma's also have more noise, it becomes more evident in the larger screens. However, if you're a patient guy OLED is just about superior to everything at the moment, they are just struggling to make larger panels. Plasmas do look good however with color temperature, and I can agree they do seem "warmer" and more "rich" and I can't really explain why. However, you can change color temps on an LED if you choose. The Plasmas were the king of dark, much better than LCD's. But, LED's are a different story, they are dynamically illuminated, unlike LCD's, they can achieve a very dark black, and they have a quicker response time. Not to mention Plasma's are considerably older technology. However, the cost difference is really the reason for the comparison in my opinion. If you plan on doing a lot of gaming a plasma might not be the best choice. But if it's only for movies and you want to go big with a cheap budget a plasma is not a bad choice. I'm personally a little apprehensive about throwing down any major coin on a large LED screen right now because I've been patiently awaiting OLED technology and the next res bump. My main TV is a 120hz LCD, I also have a plasma and an LED, but for movies I use a projector. If you want to go big then just do it, no foreplay.
            Last edited by CJ; 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              I'm personally a little apprehensive about throwing down any major coin on a large LED screen right now because I've been patiently awaiting OLED technology and the next res bump.
              I'm holding out for OLED as well. I've been happy with my plasmas overall. My Samsung is 6 years old and going strong. Upgraded to a larger LG last year that is 1/3 the thickness and half the weight of the Samsung. That was surprising.

Have you been keeping up with Sony's (just released) "4K" technology? Curious if this will go the way of Blu-Ray......or of SACD, Minidisc, DAT......

Comment

A good article on the comparison of 4K vs. OLED.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                  Sad that just 5 years ago I paid $2000 for my 51" Sammy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Walmart has a 70" LED for $2,200.... I want to say it was an LG, but may be mistaken.
                  Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                    Walmart has a 70" LED for $2,200.... I want to say it was an LG, but may be mistaken.
                    shit, that would get you a 120" screen and passive 3D projector, but I digress.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

i have had a projector, dlp, LCD, plasma and now LED-LCD.

my first lcd (6 years old samsung 46" 1080p) is still going rock solid. not the best picture, not the best colors but versatile and reliable. in fact i just gave this one to my parents since their plasma failed.

i still love plasma. i think for pure picture quality, i would take plasma every time but there is a lot of other stuff to be considered. cant lay it down, static pictures, heavy, power hungry. just like cj said, i have experienced glare, high heat, then eventually previously stated failure (samsung 50" plasma).

i just bought a new LED the saturday after thanksgiving. microcenter had the 55" lg 8600 or $1200. it was one of the highest rated tvs so i went ahead and picked it up.

i'm on the fence about it. its amazingly thin due to edge-lit led but these are are hit or miss. most people will never notice, but mine has a decent amount of light bleeding from the top and bottom if there is a black screen due to the lighting arrangement. i'm going to call LG about it. the tv is beautiful and almost perfect otherwise so id prefer to not return it.

the best tv i own is a 2 year old sony 55" led-lcd (nx810). damn near plasma-esque colors and picture quality, no such light bleeding despite being also edge lit led. i should just buy 5 of these.
                      www.hppmotorsports.com
                      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I bought a 42" LG Plasma last year. Its puts out a lot of heat and I have several TV station logos burned in the display (I only watch several channels). LED from now on.

Comment

My plasma gets the logos, but they tend to go away after a while. The worst part is the damn lines from the few times I have watched unstretched standard def leaving the bars on the sides. The lines where the edges were are permanently burned in. It's not very noticeable when the picture is bright, but for dark screen scenes, you can see them. And I bet I haven't watched anything in standard definition in at least 3 years.

Comment

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Lg 60" LED Smart 3D with 1080P/240HZ tonight. We'll see? The Plasma's were cool but the glare issue scared me off. It was pretty bad and noticable just in the store. The Smart remote and 3D glasses sealed the deal for me. Thanks guys. Like I said originally, I currently don't own a TV bigger than 35 in whole house so this is a huge upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                            X