car amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car amp question

what's the easiest way to hook up the remote wire to a stock head unit?

t-splice it into the factory remote wire? or?

doesnt have to be a real clean install, just need it hooked up

Should be ok to splice it in or you can splice it into the ignition wire

Comment

hmm. well this stock HU doesnt seem to have any rca inputs....what now?

Comment

You need a line out converter. Taps into factory wires and adds RCA for the amp.

Comment

IIRC, amp remote on wires only need about 5V. Does the head unit have a power antenna signal lead coming off of it? If so, that should work.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
            You need a line out converter. Taps into factory wires and adds RCA for the amp.
            right on. where would i splice it into?

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
            IIRC, amp remote on wires only need about 5V. Does the head unit have a power antenna signal lead coming off of it? If so, that should work.
            i think i'm going to wire it into the cig lighter via a t-splice. sound good?

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
              right on. where would i splice it into?

i think i'm going to wire it into the cig lighter via a t-splice. sound good?
              Might be too much voltage. Is the lighter a full on 12V? If so it will probably be to much for a turn on signal. Might PM EW, he could verify that for you.

Comment

I think you can run it off of the existing speaker wires but I would check with EW.

Comment

We use add-A-fuse and run it to a key-hot fuse in the box, but like someone mentioned above make sure 12v is ok and i would use no more than maybe a 3a fuse. Do a clean install and never worry about it again.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                    We use add-A-fuse and run it to a key-hot fuse in the box, but like someone mentioned above make sure 12v is ok and i would use no more than maybe a 3a fuse. Do a clean install and never worry about it again.
                    that looks like itll work perfectly! can i find these locally?

Comment

Yeah, az or pep boys should have them

Comment

word thanks.

think i'll just get a new deck from EW and call it quits

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
                          Might be too much voltage. Is the lighter a full on 12V? If so it will probably be to much for a turn on signal. Might PM EW, he could verify that for you.
                          He is trying to turn on an aftermarket amp so 12V turn on. Some Ford factory amps have a 5V turn on.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                            He is trying to turn on an aftermarket amp so 12V turn on. Some Ford factory amps have a 5V turn on.
                            I was actually thinking it was the other way around, thanks!

Comment

I've never heard of 12v being too much for a remote lead.

With my systems, I run switched power to a relay before it goes to any accessories, just to make sure I've got enough juice to turn everything on. I could never accomplish that from the head unit alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X