Opinions on set screw type terminals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on set screw type terminals

I am doing a bunch of rewiring in my jeep and one thing that I have going on is figuring out how to cleanly manage wires coming off of my positive battery terminal. I am going to need to have 1, 0 gauge wire, 1, 4 gauge wire, and 2, 8 gauge wires coming off of it. And the same for the negative terminal. I found a clamp on style terminal blocks on ebay that will handle this perfectly. One thing that I am on the fence about it that they use set screws to hold the wire into the block. I have never really liked this style of setup. It seems to me that they get loose after a while as the wire inside settles or just from normal vibrations under the hood. I personally like to solder every type of connection that I can. I would rather solder ring terminals onto each wire and then screw them down onto a block like that. I really don't see anything that can handle that for me though..... so I am considering using the set screw style block but wanted to get some other opinions on them.

I've used them for 15+ years and never really had much problem with them when dealing with large wires. I've had some come loose with smaller wires a few times, but it's rare.

Check Parts Express or see if EW at Auto sound can help you find what you need.

Comment

They will stay tight. If you're scared, use blue locktite on the threads. The Metra Tsunami TSBT-PN does EXACTLY what you're asking for. I have two sets.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Metra-Tsunami-Battery-terminals-pack/dp/B001LPI5KU/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t[/ame]

Comment

It's not the set screw that I am worried about coming loose it is the wire itself coming out of the terminal. I dunno maybe I am just being paranoid. I just never liked the idea of a ser screw pushing down into a wire that has hundreds of small wires to hold it in place. It seems like only a portion of the wires are doing all the holding

Comment

I just bought a pair of these type of terminals. Hope it works out well and be on the lookout for a new thread soon about all of this.

Comment

Working...
          X