Anyone have a media server/htpc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a media server/htpc?

Just found out about the wonderful world of media servers, and am looking to build out my own. After seeing another guy's setup yesterday, the itch is too great not to scratch.

I'll be rack mounting this in my media room wall (recessed) and will have remote thin clients at each tv throughout the house. Curious to see if anyone else has ventured into this realm?

Have a list of components that I'm sourcing, but will have to figure out the software piece as well, as in which program to manage the catalog of movies. Probably will run a linux-based OS.

Here's the desired outcome, or something simliar:

not done but i'm building a server running windows 7 and plex... starting with about 4tb...

Comment

I've got one via parts I had laying around.

Run XBMC on it with a decent video card.

Just bought a nice HTPC case and it sits in the TV stand right next to the PS3.

Comment

Did these about 4 years ago when I worked at http://ellistonsystems.com/

Hit up Brandon-K; he works there and they still do them daily.

Comment

I had the privilege to work on this one. What a PITA

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            Just found out about the wonderful world of media servers, and am looking to build out my own. After seeing another guy's setup yesterday, the itch is too great not to scratch.

I'll be rack mounting this in my media room wall (recessed) and will have remote thin clients at each tv throughout the house. Curious to see if anyone else has ventured into this realm?

Have a list of components that I'm sourcing, but will have to figure out the software piece as well, as in which program to manage the catalog of movies. Probably will run a linux-based OS.
            Key is air circulation as heat saturation is very prevalent in these type setups. You can get all the tack parts you need at Altex and online very reasonable these days. Share what video server you go with once you decide. Several out there but cost a pretty penny.

Comment

I have a mild setup. My new house is in the final stages. I'm upping my circulation in the closet with four fans. I'm also upgrading the video card and Blu-ray drive.

I'm keeping most of my content in the cloud, so three SSDs and a 2 TB external are serving me well right now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                Key is air circulation as heat saturation is very prevalent in these type setups. You can get all the tack parts you need at Altex and online very reasonable these days. Share what video server you go with once you decide. Several out there but cost a pretty penny.
                Yeah, I'll have 3u worth of vents and a 2u fan system - http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091691.html

I looked around and to buy one turn key was between $2500-3500+, with not near what it should have IMO, so I wound up buying parts and having a guy on the board assemble and load everything up for me.

My total spend on it is $1425, including software and everything for an 8TB system.

I'll start in the next week or so cutting and framing up the rack in the wall and getting everything else done...

Comment

Kinda pathetic right now, but here's the shelves in the media room where everything is sitting... I don't have built ins to store DVD's anymore so they are kinda laying around and a lot more behind the back of the room.

We are going to put a 21U rack into the wall on the right side of the shelving area above, and it'll be flush mount into that wall with the area near the shelves to support it. We will have to rebuild the shelves, but no big deal.

Lastly, when all is said and done, I need to find a guy that will build double doors to cover the server/shelf area, similar to these:

Until then, I'll probably get a black drape or something to hide it. Kinda ghetto, but do you what you gotta do in the meantime...

Hopefully all this will be done by end of month.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                    I have a mild setup. My new house is in the final stages. I'm upping my circulation in the closet with four fans. I'm also upgrading the video card and Blu-ray drive.

I'm keeping most of my content in the cloud, so three SSDs and a 2 TB external are serving me well right now.

What service do you use to store everything? I'm looking for something to keep a decent amount of shit off site in the event of a major failure.

Comment

I run a cheap windows home server for stuff that i've downloaded/pirated

A buddy runs a PLEX server that I can connect to from any browser

Comment

I use Google Drive/Play, Amazon, iTunes, and I buy all of my movies exclusively from Vudu now. I like being able to access them from multiple services.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          A buddy runs a PLEX server that I can connect to from any browser
                          That's what I did....

Comment

Badass deal:

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                              No shit it is, I just paid $112 shipped for the same thing last week....

Comment

Working...
                              X