Sub and amp options/opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub and amp options/opinions

96 corolla beater. Just had the head unit and factory speaker replaced at cartoys. Really mad I didn't contact EW. Didn't cross my mind till the ride home. Hopefully he'll chime in so I can this time. Ended up getting the pioneer DEH-4600 and Alpine 6.5 rear and 4" fronts. Was looking at two JL 12 wo's and a mono amp. The two amps I was looking at are the alpine MRV-m500 and the JL jx500. They have 500 watts at 2 ohm but only 300 at 4. Since the wo's are a 4 ohm only and rated at 300 Rms will I have to step up to a alpine pdx-m6 which produces 600 either way? For that much money should I get a 5 channel amp? If so which one? Thanks for any responses

When you connect two 4 ohm drivers in parallel, the amp will see 2 ohm and have full output. Either amp will drive two W0V3 subs fine. How about a 5 channel to run the whole car?

Comment

I know the speakers would benefit being amplified but with the Hpf setting on the head unit set on 160-200 hz it's pretty loud and clear. But mostly cost, trying to stay around 550 plus any install fee.The alpine mrv-v70 I looked at still only had 350w on the sub channel at 2 ohm. Is that going to be enough? Each sub would see 175w correct?
      Last edited by blk95; 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Two 12's in a car that small?

I hope you live next door to Lantrin.

Comment

I have some 1000watt dual voice coil 10"s if your interested.
          Ded

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
            Two 12's in a car that small?

I hope you live next door to Lantrin.
            I know but in the past I had 2 10" jensens in a band pass box and another vehicle I had a single infinity 12 in a sealed box and wanted more bass. Yes it's smaller than the mustangs those were in but don't want to get one and be unsatisfied. At least my fuses won't blow like that jackhole who parks next to his desk

Comment

I have a 12" infinity in a ported box with a 1000W class d and it delivers more than I've ever needed for $330 new.

Comment

Originally posted by blk95 View Post
                I know the speakers would benefit being amplified but with the Hpf setting on the head unit set on 160-200 hz it's pretty loud and clear. But mostly cost, trying to stay around 550 plus any install fee.The alpine mrv-v70 I looked at still only had 350w on the sub channel at 2 ohm. Is that going to be enough? Each sub would see 175w correct?
                As long as you feel the speakers sound ok on the deck power, then just get the bass amp. Both the JX500/1 and MRV-M500 are class D so they will run cool and be efficient. The 5 channel MRX-V70 works great too and would be fine on those subs.

Comment

I have a 12" infinity in a ported box with a 1000W class d and it delivers more than I've ever needed for $330 new.
                  Thanks but I really want JL. They always sound very good. I have a friend looking for a sub I'll tell him though. EW, could you send me a quote on 2 JL 12 wo's and the alpine mrv-m500 in a box with install? Would you recommend a sealed or ported box?

Comment

Originally posted by blk95 View Post
                    Thanks but I really want JL. They always sound very good. I have a friend looking for a sub I'll tell him though.?
                    My last sub was a single JL W0 12" in a sealed box and it also sounded good and lasted 3 years until i sold it to upgrade to a louder combo. JL is a solid brand to stick with. Just trying to save you a few hundred.

Edit: I wasn't offering it for sale. That's what I paid new.

Comment

Better remember to add another $100-150 for install kit with good wires.

Wiring can be cheap but good wires make a big difference.

<-- likes JL a little bit

Comment

My last sub was a single JL W0 12" in a sealed box and it also sounded good and lasted 3 years until i sold it to upgrade to a louder combo. JL is a solid brand to stick with. Just trying to save you a few hundred.

Edit: I wasn't offering it for sale. That's what I paid new.
                        Oh my bad, thanks. The infinity I had was a 12 but in a sealed Box in a 69 mustang. Which rattled and had wind noise. Probably would've sounded better in a newer car but I think 2 will cure any bass needs I have.

Comment

I run a MRV-M500 pushing an 10" PB (blew the kicker sub) in a small ported truck box. I'm amazed how good it sounds for such a small sub and box. I never had issues with the MRV-500 either.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Alpine MRV-M500 500W Mono Channel V-Power Digital Amplifier at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
                          sigpic
                          1987 Mustang LX Coupe, yes it's slow
                          1985 Mustang LX Coupe, not slow

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe81 View Post
                            I run a MRV-M500 pushing an 10" PB (blew the kicker sub) in a small ported truck box. I'm amazed how good it sounds for such a small sub and box. I never had issues with the MRV-500 either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-MRV-M...p2054897.l4275
                            You have to be careful with pre-fab ported boxes. If you push the driver(s) frequently and port isn't right for them it cn cause issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Have a ported box built to the specs of the driver(s) you choose. Ported has more output and the sound quality will be fine if you do it right.

Amplify your door speakers. It may sound loud and clear now, but will it keep up with subs?

160-200hz is a little high for the HPF. Amplify those speakers, set your gains correctly, and run the HPF no higher than 120.

Deaden the crap out of your doors (and anywhere else you can, but especially the doors). That will make a world of difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X