Head unit with navigation question…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head unit with navigation question…

Do you guys know of a head unit that has navigation that will “multitask”? I like being able to listen to music through the stock head unit and have my “external” GPS on the side so I can look at it or turn the stereo down if I need to hear some directions.
    Will any head unit (with navigation) let me play music and have the GPS chime in and interrupt the music when I have a turn coming up? Or are they either a GPS or a stereo and cannot do both at the same time?

Also, I am thinking about getting one (with the navigation add-on) of these…
    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130P320....html?tp=20217

Does anyone here have one and if so, what do you think about it? Pros, cons?
    I have a 2010 Tacoma and I am looking for a dual din head unit for it, any other suggestions?

TYIA!

Alpine and kenwood will. All major name brand units will interrupt the audio and give a command.

Comment

Sweet man, thanks!

Comment

Yeah, my Kenwood does that. The GPS is by Garmin and is an add-on box.

Comment

built in nav is less expensive for the unit and installation.

Comment

w-900, go see EW!
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              go see EW!
              Yea, I will probably do this and might ask him what he recomends besides this. Right now, I can get that head unit w/the navigation for about $550. I'm just not a fan of the CD opening and the buttons on the front. But I like the SD and USB upfront and I gotta have bluetooth.

Comment

I recommend Alpine double-dins. I've had the W200 and currently have a W205 and a W505 with the Blackbird for nav. I like the Blackbird setup because I can swap it from one vehicle to the next and dock it in either head unit, and even carry it with me outside of the vehicle and use it as a stand alone nav or even carry it on a hiking trail if I want. Unfortunately, the Blakbirds have a lot of issues and that's probably why they are no longer available. Bluetooth is easily added to these units, or if you have a Blackbird, it's got Bluetooth built in. The W900 is slick with the built in nav. I wish it had a couple of other features I don't have now so I could justify an upgrade.

Alpines are solid, look good, sound great, have plenty of features or the ability to add them, optical out if you ever want to expand with a processor, and the user interface rocks. Pioneers are ugly imo, and they have been plagued in recent history with grounding and RCA output issues. Maybe that's been fixed, I don't know.

I haven't messed with the Kenwood double-dins, but I have a deep loathing for the user interface on their single-din units, so I stay away from the brand.

But ya, any decent head unit should allow you to display the nav and listen to whatever you want. I will say that with the blackbird, the nav voice did not play very loudly through the system when it interrupted the music. Maybe the built-in nav of the W900 does this better. Brent?

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Bu I will say that with the blackbird, the nav voice did not play very loudly through the system when it interrupted the music. Maybe the built-in nav of the W900 does this better. Brent?
                  It's not that loud, but loud enough for me. Then again, I don't have 9 15" subwoofers, etc. All stock but the deck, but that will change here pretty soon.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    It's not that loud, but loud enough for me. Then again, I don't have 9 15" subwoofers, etc. All stock but the deck, but that will change here pretty soon.
                    Hit me up when you get ready. I could probably be persuaded to sell you my box and subs for a smoking price. I've been toying with the idea of building a wall.

Comment

Have a pioneer double din in my t/a and it cuts the music to give directions.

Comment

Working...
                      X