White Spots On DLP TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Spots On DLP TV

I have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP TV & noticed yesterday that there are white & black spots on the screen. The TV is about 4 years old. They are on the left side on the screen. Does anyone know what might be going on??? Is my TV going out already?

Most likely just dust on the projection lens or accumulation on the mirrors. Try removing the complete lamp housing and blow some PC compressed air cleaner in there. Make sure it's absolutely cool before you do anything. And don't touch the lamp with your fingers, of course. The fan that cools the lamp and video board pulls air from the chassis vents. Just the inside of a Desktop tower, it gets nasty in there after a while. The closer to the floor it is makes it all that much worse. If you have it a room with carpet in lieu of tile or hardwood, and also have pets. Could be the culprit.

It's not a bad lamp. I had DLPs for a while before switching to Plasma. Every time the lamp would always manifest the same symptoms when going bad. Slowing over a period becoming dimmer and finally just not turn on. Or in one case, I actually had a lamp explode inside the housing. The fan was not turning at full rpms and shattered the lamp after being on for several hours. I got out of the DLP market after that. Some people have them for years with no problems. I had tons of issues with mine.

Comment

DMD board. Some of your mirrors are "stuck".

Comment

I called Best Buy & found out that it is still under warranty till Nov 11. There coming out to fix it next week when the part arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
          I called Best Buy & found out that it is still under warranty till Nov 11. There coming out to fix it next week when the part arrives.
          After 4 f'ing years? I take it you bought an extended warranty?
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            After 4 f'ing years? I take it you bought an extended warranty?
            Lol! Holy shit. For once the best buy warranty worked.
            Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Bought a 5 year warranty. They already replaced the bulb a few months back. Guess I got my money worth. Lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                Most likely just dust on the projection lens or accumulation on the mirrors. Try removing the complete lamp housing and blow some PC compressed air cleaner in there.
                Not this. And be very careful spraying air randomly into the cavity.

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                DMD board. Some of your mirrors are "stuck".
                This. On a Mits they should be replacing the light engine assembly.

Bought a 5 year warranty. They already replaced the bulb a few months back. Guess I got my money worth. Lol...
                Yeah, the Light Engine is normally close to a grand at cost.

Comment

I had the same issue with my mitsubishi dlp, so I just bought a plasma.

Comment

My dad just had them come out for the same thing. They just went and replaced it with a brand new one. They also asked him if he wanted the old one, so he took it and sold it on craigslist for 500 dollars.
                    92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
                    15 GT w/PP

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      Not this. And be very careful spraying air randomly into the cavity.

I've done it before and have never had a problem. Like I said, don't do anything until it's completely cool and has been off for hours. I'm talking about using canned air and/or a electronics cleaner that's ammonia and wax free. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Comment

About a year or so ago Samsung DLP TVs had a lot of light engine failure. and they was replacing them free out of warranty. I guess thats why they ended up dropping the DLP design. I work for TI (the company that makes the dlp chips) I honestly believe it has a lot to do with cooling, samsung was using too small of a heat sink on the light engine. But DLPs should only belong in projectors not TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by svt_god View Post
                          About a year or so ago Samsung DLP TVs had a lot of light engine failure. and they was replacing them free out of warranty. I guess thats why they ended up dropping the DLP design. I work for TI (the company that makes the dlp chips) I honestly believe it has a lot to do with cooling, samsung was using too small of a heat sink on the light engine. But DLPs should only belong in projectors not TVs.
                          On the Samsung's, they only authorize the replacement of the DLP chip under the warranty concession. None of the other manufacturers allowed/requested the disassembly of the light engine.

Comment

Originally posted by svt_god View Post
                            A ton of mfrs got out of the DLP game, not just Samsung.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Well it seems that Best Buy is having a hard time getting the light engine & the offered me a new TV to replace it with at no cost. I went by the store & they said they would credit me $1299 towards the purchase of a new TV. Here are the 3 I am looking at. Any of you guys know which one is the best?

They are all the same price. $1889.99. I told them I would be back tomorrow to figure out which one I want. Thanks for any help!!!!!!
                              Last edited by Mike69; 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X