Brees-organized player workout draws 37 Saints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brees-organized player workout draws 37 Saints

f the New Orleans Saints are going to work out, then why not work out together?

That was the thinking behind a gathering of 37 Saints players at Tulane University on Tuesday for the beginning of team workouts spearheaded by quarterback Drew Brees.

"We would all be working out somewhere anyway, so why not do it together," Brees said. "I feel like this is putting us way ahead of other teams by having it so organized."

Brees said he was pleased with the number of Saints, especially veterans, who participated, and he has no problem with those who aren't under contract not attending.

"I don't blame them if they're not here," said Brees, who is one of the plaintiffs in the players' lawsuit against the NFL. "We have no injury protection (as we would) if we were at the facility.

"You take a risk by being here."

The workouts are intended to mirror the conditioning and weight lifting players usually participate in at this point of the offseason.

"We're creatures of habit, at this time of year we focus on conditioning," tackle Jon Stinchcomb said. "We're used to running together, working out together, pushing each other."

Breer: The lowdown on labor
    With the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling for or against a full stay expected soon, Albert Breer provides five need-to-knows entering the next stage of the labor dispute: More...
    Brees said the workouts could expand to include position-specific activities should the lockout remain in place longer.

"This is about getting guys back in, getting guys in the flow," Brees said. "We'll escalate it at some point to routes.

"There will be absolutely no contact. The point is to get guys together as a team."

Brees said he has no idea when the lockout will end, but he said the veteran make-up of the Saints' roster can only help it when the league opens for business again.

"We have everything here we would have at our training facility. Guys were here in bigger numbers than even I expected," Brees said.

He added: "The more organized you can be as a team, the more you can communicate during May, June, July, the better. None of us know how long (the lockout) is going to go on. This gives us the best position to be successful once the season does start.

"It helps when you have veteran guys like (safety Darren) Sharper, (linebacker Jonathan) Vilma, Stinchcomb showing up."

Brees said he was in contact with Saints coach Sean Payton during the brief time this past week when an injunction forced the league to open its doors. A federal appeals court later stayed the ruling of a judge in Minnesota.

"I told him what we had planned," said Brees, noting the players might do some film study at one point. "I called all those guys and said, 'We're back. let's get going.' "

Brees called the workouts an opportunity for more players to take on leadership roles.

"That's what I meant by empowering guys," he said. "I'm kind of policing myself. There's nobody looking over my shoulder.

"There is kind of a guy at each position who's in charge of that position, to break out position-specific drills. I'm leaning on guys at that position to know what to do."

Brees brought his personal trainer, Todd Durkin, in from San Diego to structure the first few days of the workouts.

"(He will help players) get a feel for the pace and speed of the workouts," Brees said. "He's considered one of the best trainers in the country, if not the world. Anything to set the tone, build that foundation.

"A lot of it is gauging where guys are at."

Brees also addressed the comments from running back Reggie Bush after the Saints traded up to draft running back Mark Ingram, the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner from Alabama, in the first round of this past weekend's draft.

The selection of Ingram prompted Bush, the Saints' first-round pick in 2006, to tweet "it's been fun New Orleans," an indication he doesn't expect to be back to collect the $11.8 million he is scheduled to receive in what would be the final year of his contract.

"I saw his tweet just like you did, Brees said. "I think that's frustration. I immediately texted him. He's a young guy who's very prideful. ... This doesn't take an opportunity away, it solidifies (his) role, this guy can open things up for (Bush). In the end, it's a very good thing for everyone."

Glad to hear this..... Are the Cowboys doing the same?

Originally posted by papapepper View Post

Glad to hear this..... Are the Cowboys doing the same?

Most other teams have been doing this since the lockout began....
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yep. Even 2nd year guy Colt McCoy got his team together. These guys are ready to play, end the lockout already.

Comment

Working...
      X