where does dirk stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
    You might be able to attribute the 06 and 07 failures to him choking. I tend to lean more towards avery coaching poorly. Riley schooled him and he screwed us in 07 by making the wrong adjustments.
    i agree that avery sucked and i stand by the idea that the NBA had other plans in '06 and it didn't include the mavericks but if dirk-06 was dirk-11, he would have closed out that game 3 in that 4th quarter with or with out avery.

i think 3-0 lead in '06 would have eventually translated to a championship then. i also think if we won in 2006, i dont really know that we win this year but that's all irrelevant.

and yes. don nelson flat raped avery in 07.
    www.hppmotorsports.com
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

By saying Dallas are you meaning DFW? If so and it's not team sports exclusive then Byron Nelson needs to be on the list. Also don't forget Bob Lilly, one of the best NFL players of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
        i agree that avery sucked and i stand by the idea that the NBA had other plans in '06 and it didn't include the mavericks but if dirk-06 was dirk-11, he would have closed out that game 3 in that 4th quarter with or with out avery.

i think 3-0 lead in '06 would have eventually translated to a championship then. i also think if we won in 2006, i dont really know that we win this year but that's all irrelevant.

and yes. don nelson flat raped avery in 07.
        well don nelson knew how to beat them, he coached them so he knew what they did well but probably knew what could beat them as well. Plus that Warriors team was better than their record. They were one of the best teams once they traded for Stephen Jackson.
        Los Angeles Rams 11-5
        Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

To me Dirk is a top 3 dallas icon. staubach, aikman, dirk.
          *of course this is very subjective because it all depends on what is your favorite sport, etc.

as far as the NBA all-time goes, he is a top 25er give or take a few. i think he will eventually be a top 20 player when he hangs it up.
          I agree with everything said here, but I believe your list isn't complete without Emmit. He was quite the warrior, just like Dirk has been.
          Rachel McAdams nude pics

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_marc View Post
            I agree with everything said here, but I believe your list isn't complete without Emmit. He was quite the warrior, just like Dirk has been.
            yea, emmitt and irvin are pretty high on the list. i just dont think they get the credit that the QB does. i actually think emmitt was the most instrumental triplett to the success of the 90s cowboys.
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

yea, emmitt and irvin are pretty high on the list. i just dont think they get the credit that the QB does. i actually think emmitt was the most instrumental triplett to the success of the 90s cowboys.
              yea but emmitt has talked against the Cowboys. When he went to the Cardinals he made the diamond in the trash comment. Then last year with the 7-9 comment on how will dallas do.
              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Garnett playoff career
                GP 105 GS 105 MPG 38.9 Fg%47.2 3pt%29.8 FT% 78.2 RPG 11.1 APG 3.8 SPG 1.3 BPG 1.4 PPG 19.6

Dirk playoff career
                GP 124 GS124 mPG 41.3 FG% 46.3 3pt% 38.4 ft% 89.2 RPG 10.4 APG 2.6 SPG 1.1 BPG 1 PPG 25.6

Food for thought. I'll take a KG in his prime over Dirk any day of the week. Right now though I'd roll with Dirk.

Dirk has always had a great supporting cast..... How else do they manage to have 50-60+ win seasons over and over again? It isn't purely because of Dirk. KG never really had that type of supporting cast. Dallas built a team around Dirk. Minnesota just didn't have what it took to invest in KG.

Edit: Where the fuck is Mike Modano? IMO he is considered one of the Metroplex's greats.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  I'm not a native to Dallas, so take this tongue and cheek. As for the other great Dallas players, he has to be up there with guys like Staubach, Dorsett, Smith, and Aikman. You could probably add Modano in as well. They were all the best or one of the best players and thus leaders on their championship teams. They also all made their name playing lengthy amounts of time in Dallas. No one remembers Smith as a Cardinal -- he's a Cowboy.

As for the NBA, I have a mixed opinion. If you look at the great forwards, he's up there pretty high. I rank him ahead of guys like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley who were great players that even had quite a bit around them at times but never got to the pinnacle of their sport. How much of that is because of a guy named Michael Jordan, well I guess we will never know. Is Dirk as good as a guy like James Worthy? Many people would say Dirk is better, but they probably didn't see Worthy play. I think it's too hard to compare them.

Dirk is a perimeter player who is not explosive at all. He's very methodical, an excellent shooter, and is dangerous when he backs someone down or drives to the basket consistently as he did for the playoffs. Worthy was just explosive. While he wasn't a great shooter per se, he could just explode to the basket and run the floor. You can keep going back and find other guys like that, but it's hard to compare Dirk to them. The game has changed too much.

For me, the question comes down to 2 things.

1) Is Dirk one of the greatest players ever in the NBA? My answer is yes because of what he has accomplished with his team. He won with some duct tape and a little bit of liquid nails. If you were building a team around say Dwight Howard, would you go and try to get anyone off the Mavs roster besides Dirk? Not a chance in hell. For that reason, Dirk has to be one of the NBA's greatest all time when you look at performance in the way of what a player brings to the team and championships.

2) Is Dirk a top 10 player all time? My answer here is no. Now I shift focus to just looking at the player's ability and not performance to the team and championships. There are a lot of guys out there who could take Dirk to the woodshed in 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 matchups. He's a phenomenal talent, but he's not Bill Russell, Wilt, Michael, Magic, Kareem, Oscar, etc.

For what it's worth, I'd take Dirk over a lot of guys that I think are better players because he makes those around him better. That's what made MJ so unique -- he was super talented and singly the best player ever AND he made everyone else better too. That's why he has 6 rings.

VERY well said, and this is coming from a die hard Mavs fan.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                    Garnett playoff career
                    GP 105 GS 105 MPG 38.9 Fg%47.2 3pt%29.8 FT% 78.2 RPG 11.1 APG 3.8 SPG 1.3 BPG 1.4 PPG 19.6

Dirk playoff career
                    GP 124 GS124 mPG 41.3 FG% 46.3 3pt% 38.4 ft% 89.2 RPG 10.4 APG 2.6 SPG 1.1 BPG 1 PPG 25.6

Food for thought. I'll take a KG in his prime over Dirk any day of the week. Right now though I'd roll with Dirk.

Dirk has always had a great supporting cast..... How else do they manage to have 50-60+ win seasons over and over again? It isn't purely because of Dirk. KG never really had that type of supporting cast. Dallas built a team around Dirk. Minnesota just didn't have what it took to invest in KG.

Edit: Where the fuck is Mike Modano? IMO he is considered one of the Metroplex's greats.
                    nice numbers, and i was glad that he went to Boston cause he didnt have to carry the load all by himself. I think also this is a reward for Dirk cause remember he redid his deal to give the Mavs more money.

Modano has to be mentioned, I think I said his name and Modano was very important in making Hockey popular here. I can remember 10 years ago when they were making the Stanley Cup that my whole neighborhood was playing hockey. Modano for a brief period made this city a hockey town. Dirk has done the samething, he has made this town a basketball town.
                    Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                    Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                      Garnett playoff career

Dirk playoff career
                      KG even in his prime, never had more than a 15ft jumper. I'm not saying he couldn't shoot at all but he wasn't a threat. He gets all his points from the paint. He couldn't stretch the floor like Dirk, he causes defenses all kinds of trouble. I think KG is a good player but both guys in there prime, I'd take DIrk. If I had to choose between Dirk and Malone, that would be a tough one.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAC View Post
                        KG even in his prime, never had more than a 15ft jumper. I'm not saying he couldn't shoot at all but he wasn't a threat. He gets all his points from the paint. He couldn't stretch the floor like Dirk, he causes defenses all kinds of trouble. I think KG is a good player but both guys in there prime, I'd take DIrk. If I had to choose between Dirk and Malone, that would be a tough one.
                        Dirk AND KG would be a great combo. Dallas would have had a great inside/out attack if they had ever been able to pair up.

On another note...Fin got his ring. Now Dirk has his. Wish Nash could somehow nab one. If Kidd weren't here, I might could see him coming back for one last go at it.
                        Rachel McAdams nude pics

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_marc View Post
                          Dirk AND KG would be a great combo. Dallas would have had a great inside/out attack if they had ever been able to pair up.

On another note...Fin got his ring. Now Dirk has his. Wish Nash could somehow nab one. If Kidd weren't here, I might could see him coming back for one last go at it.
                          maybe if Kidd retires the mavs might bring in nash.
                          Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                          Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Working...
                          X