Dawkins accepts $4M paycut to remain Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawkins accepts $4M paycut to remain Bronco

How badly did veteran safety Brian Dawkins want to continue his career with the Denver Broncos?

Enough to accept a $4 million pay cut this season, The Denver Post reported Wednesday.

Dawkins, 37, was scheduled to make $6 million during this, his 16th, season. Instead, the eight-time Pro Bowl selection will earn $2 million -- $1.6 million in base salary with a $400,000 signing bonus, according to contracts submitted to the league Tuesday. One provision of the reworked deal is the final two years of the five-year contract he signed in 2009 were canceled.

"Where I am in my life as a person, this is no big deal to me," Dawkins said. "It's what I felt was right. The last 2½ years, I had a horrible taste in my mouth. I really wanted to be part of this team, part of the Denver Broncos —- how do I say this? -— without any dark clouds over us. I could have decided to continue my career some other place, but that's not what I wanted to do."

Dawkins is entering his third season in Denver after spending 13 with the Philadelphia Eagles. After the Broncos' 4-12 finish a season ago, Dawkins is looking forward to a fresh start under a new regime.

"I've put down some roots here with my home and my teammates," Dawkins said. "And a huge factor in this decision was having Coach (John) Fox here. I like what he's brought here. I'm excited about what we have going on here with the

Dawkins is and always will be a class act. I wish he would have taken that salary and stayed in Philly. I will find a way to be there when they retire him as an Eagle. My favorite player by far. man I sitll miss seeing that guy in Eagles GREEN!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikecobra302 View Post
      Dawkins is and always will be a class act. I wish he would have taken that salary and stayed in Philly. I will find a way to be there when they retire him as an Eagle. My favorite player by far. man I sitll miss seeing that guy in Eagles GREEN!
      I couldn't agree more. He is one of the players I was most disappointed to see leave!

Comment

Well coming from a Denver fan, thank you!! Between Dawkins and Bailey they have 18 pro bowls and 85 interceptions.....

Comment

and also 0 super bowl rings
          Los Angeles Rams 11-5
          Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
          Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
            and also 0 super bowl rings
            One man can't win the big one, it really is a team sport.... Guess you're trying to say that neither of those two players will ever amount to anything with out a Super Bowl ring?

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
              One man can't win the big one, it really is a team sport.... Guess you're trying to say that neither of those two players will ever amount to anything with out a Super Bowl ring?
              no Im not, but its just one more thing they have in common. Sadly though the Hall of Fame people look more at rings than stats and the player itself. Like Cris Carter not getting in the Hall of Fame when he is deserving.
              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                no Im not, but its just one more thing they have in common. Sadly though the Hall of Fame people look more at rings than stats and the player itself. Like Cris Carter not getting in the Hall of Fame when he is deserving.
                I agree with you that Carter should have made it into the HOF. I think regardless of championship rings Dawkins & Bailey will both be in the HOF at the end of their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                  I agree with you that Carter should have made it into the HOF. I think regardless of championship rings Dawkins & Bailey will both be in the HOF at the end of their careers.
                  yea they should be, you can say that they we're one of the best at their positon at their prime when they played.
                  Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                  Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Working...
                  X