Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players

It is a long read, but crazy stuff in here. prostitutes, cash, bounties, abortions...etc. It is all there.

Nevin Shapiro, a convicted Ponzi schemer, details the cash, gifts and other favors he says he lavished on a slew of players from 2002-2010.

Sounds like all the people he paid to be his friends turned their backs and now he is bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      Sounds like all the people he paid to be his friends turned their backs and now he is bitter.
      Yup, that is pretty much what it comes down to.

My friends turned their back on me, so I am going to tear apart a Universities entire sports program.

The guy screams of being a slimeball.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        Yup, that is pretty much what it comes down to.

My friends turned their back on me, so I am going to tear apart a Universities entire sports program.

The guy screams of being a slimeball.
        I admit I didn't read before posting and was just going off what I have been hearing. If I had read, I would have found out that it's exactly what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
          I admit I didn't read before posting and was just going off what I have been hearing. If I had read, I would have found out that it's exactly what happened.
          Understandable. It is a long read. There are alot of big names in the article. Houses, yachts, jewelry, hoes, all were bought buy this guy for players.

The kicker is the abortion:

In one instance, Shapiro described taking a player to the Pink Pony strip club and paying for a dancer to engage in sex with the athlete. In the ensuing weeks, Shapiro said the dancer called one of his security providers and informed him that the player had gotten her pregnant during the incident. Shapiro said he gave the dancer $500 to have an abortion performed, without notifying the player of the incident.

“I was doing him a favor,” the booster said. “That idiot might have wanted to keep [the baby].”

Due to the sensitivity of the allegation, Yahoo! Sports has chosen not to name the player allegedly involved.

Comment

they are only $500?

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I can't say that I'm suprised by hearing this
              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
              Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

NCAA system needs to be overhauled.

Comment

LMAO.
                  " I did not make those statements"
                  "really Tyrone, what about this taped interview?"

Ex-Cane Tyrone Moss’ remarks remain shrouded in controversy

Former Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss denied talking to Yahoo! Sports, but audio evidence refuted that claim.

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
                  sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com
                  Despite evidence to the contrary, former University of Miami running back Tyrone Moss, the only football player to talk on the record in last week’s Yahoo! Sports exposè that alleged rampant NCAA violations by UM athletes, told The Miami Herald on Sunday that he never took $1,000 like he was quoted saying in the article, never went on booster Nevin Shapiro’s $1.5 million yacht — and never was interviewed by Yahoo! Sports.

“I never did a story,’’ Moss said from his parents’ home in Pompano Beach. “I never admitted to receiving $1,000 from anyone. I’ve never taken no phone call from anyone. I have not talked to anyone directly. I don’t know how this story got out about me, but it was a shame that I wake up and see all this negative publicity about me.

“I don’t know where they got those quotes from. …I never met him.’’

Gerry Ahern, managing editor for Yahoo! Sports colleges and investigations, told The Herald by phone Sunday that Moss’ phone interview was taped. Then, Yahoo! Sports investigative reporter Charles Robinson played the two parts of Moss’ interview that are in the main story that ran last Tuesday.

“We stand behind the story,’’ Ahern said. “Moss’ quotes were part of a taped on-the-record interview.’’

In the tape that was played for The Herald, Moss was asked, “That $1,000, did he [Shapiro] hit you with that the first time he met you?’’

Responded Moss: “Yeah, it was me and some other players with my incoming [class]. I’m not going to say the names, but you can probably figure them out yourself. When I was getting there my freshman year, it was me and a couple more players. … It was me and a few more of the guys in my incoming class that he kind of showed love to.’’

The second part of the tape that was played for The Herald on Sunday dealt with Axcess Sports agency. “Nevin basically was the front man,’’ Moss said on the tape. “Nevin got to be close one-on-one with a player. And when it was time to actually come out into the draft, it was like ‘You’re rolling with me and that agent.’ And the thing is, it was almost like he had given so much to where it was like you gotta ride with him with most players. That’s how that was.’’

Moss, 26, said Sunday he didn’t need the money because both his parents had good jobs, and still do, and provided him with financial help for his then infant son. They were not home Sunday.

“My parents worked. I don’t need $1,000,’’ Moss said. “…I have no reason to beg or ask anyone for any type of money. That’s not allowed.’’

Moss said he had neither been contacted by the NCAA nor UM regarding the investigation. He also said he isn’t concerned about lawyers for a federal bankruptcy trustee trying to recover $1,000.

“If they try to recover money there’s no need to contact me,’’ Moss said. “There’s nothing proving or showing he has given me $1,000.’’

Moss came out of Pompano Beach Ely High in 2003 the most prolific running back in Broward County history, rushing for a career 7,407 yards and 108 touchdowns. At 5-10 and about 230 pounds when he played, Moss’ massive thighs and cartoonish calves helped him bulldoze through defenders.

“He’s like a bowling ball going downhill,’’ former center Joel Rodriguez said of Moss his sophomore year. “He leans forward and runs over guys.’’

But Moss’ UM career derailed when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee during the Hurricanes’ stunning 27-7 victory at then-No. 3 Virginia Tech in November 2005. He was never drafted, but practiced with the Cleveland Browns during their May 2007 minicamp. He said he couldn’t continue to play because of his knee and was forced to undergo another surgery to remove scar tissue.

Moss finished his UM career with 1,942 yards rushing and 26 touchdowns on 346 carries.

Moss said he was working a full-time job, but declined to say what it was and where he was living in Broward County. He wore a black collared shirt and orange UM football shorts Sunday, and said he still loved his team.

“The University of Miami has been like a family to me,’’ Moss said. “I’ll always be a diehard fan.’’

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/2...#ixzz1Vlsqhv7V

Comment

Working...
                  X