NBA Anti-flopping rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Anti-flopping rule

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...ts+-+Flipboard)

The first taste is free.

But flopping, which used to be a go-to move in the NBA, now could cost a player $30,000 and maybe more.

The league announced on Wednesday a new anti-flopping policy that starts with a warning and steps up to some major money. During the regular season, the steps will be warning for the first violation, $5,000 fine for the second, $10,000 fine for third, $15,000 fine for the fourth and $30,000 fine for the fifth violation.

The National Basketball Players Association is not pleased -- from a collective-bargaining standpoint -- with the league's decision. The players union said in an e-mail early Wednesday evening it will file a grievance with the league and an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board "challenging the new anti-flopping rule implemented by the National Basketball Association."

"The NBA is not permitted to unilaterally impose new economic discipline against the players without first bargaining with the union," NBPA Executive Director Billy Hunter said in a statement. "We believe that any monetary penalty for an act of this type is inappropriate and without precedent in our sport or any other sport. We will bring appropriate legal action to challenge what is clearly a vague and arbitrary overreaction and overreach by the Commissioner's office."

The NBA denied wrongdoing.

"Although we haven't seen any filing from the Players Association, our adoption of an anti-flopping rule is fully consistent with our rights and obligations under the collective bargaining agreement and the law," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

I appreciate rules against "FLOPPING" but dislike the new penalties. Any punishment should happen DURING the game(personal/tech foul)

You must get 16 technical fouls to pay $5k while the 2nd flop has the same fee attached? Don't like it.

A sixth violation could lead to a suspension along with a fine. Discipline for flopping in the playoffs will be announced at a later date.

"Flops have no place in our game -- they either fool referees into calling undeserved fouls or fool fans into thinking the referees missed a call," NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said in a statement. "Accordingly, both the Board of Governors and the Competition Committee felt strongly that any player who the league determines, following video review, to have committed a flop should -- after a warning -- be given an automatic penalty."

Rightly or wrongly those with reputations as floppers include Anderson Varejao of Cleveland, San Antonio's Manu Ginobili, Phoenix Sun Louis Scola, Houston's Kevin Martin and Miami's Shane Battier.

Said Battier to ESPN: "The unfortunate thing about the block/charge (distinction) is that I've had many, many times where a ref told me that you have to go to the floor to get the call. "By the letter of the law, I've taken a hit, but I've stood on my feet. Even though I've gotten nailed, the ref calls it a no-call. I say, 'Ref, what's wrong with that (charge)?' He says, 'You have to go down to get the call.' "

While fans will most likely be cheering the new rules, Miami coach Erik Spoelstra advises that everyone needs a little education first.

"I would make the argument that anybody who thinks that flopping comes from help-side charges, they're getting the concept of the flop incorrectly," he said. "It's my opinion that what makes the game look bad is when you're trying to trick the referee on the ball, and you're flopping, jerking your head on the ball or offensively when you're doing that. When you're making a help-side rotation and putting your body in there, there's either contact or there's not. If you're getting run over, you're getting run over. There's not as much flopping in those areas, in my opinion. It's all the other areas. We hammer our guys and teach our guys not to do that. Of course, every team has players who do it, and sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't."

There goes Manu!!!.....
    Originally posted by Da Prez
    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
      There goes Manu and 60% of the league.!!!.....
      fixed
      Originally posted by 03trubluGT
      Your opinion is what sucks.
      You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

fuck the floppers!

Comment

Haha! The Spurs are going to be broke!

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            lmao!
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              But will still out play the Mavs
              Originally posted by Da Prez
              Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
              Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

It's about damn time. I hope the NBAPA doesn't screw this up, they're already whining about it.
                .223 > 911

Comment

Someone help me out, Im not a fan of basketball. Is this a rule against the players "flopping" to the ground when there is any type of contact that could/should be called as a penalty?
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

IMHO, i think they should get on-court penalties.

That shit will stop REAL quick when their team loses major games with a flop. The fan outcry will be greater at a 98-101 loss because Manu flopped than hearing about some multi-millionare getting fined chump change.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      Someone help me out, Im not a fan of basketball. Is this a rule against the players "flopping" to the ground when there is any type of contact that could/should be called as a penalty?
                      It's against players pretending they've been contacted harder than they have been, for the purposes of drawing a foul call against the team on offense. This is called, "charging." A lot of players got it from watching people fake fouls in European soccer.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                        I agree. In soccer, you get a yellow card in the rare instance the ref calls it. Accumulation of yellow cards lead to game suspensions.

Comment

Is instant replay a good idea in the NBA for all called fouls?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
                            Is instant replay a good idea in the NBA for all called fouls?

Unfortunately, it would slow the game down way too much.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post

That shit will stop REAL quick when their team loses major games with a flop. The fan outcry will be greater at a 98-101 loss because Manu flopped than hearing about some multi-millionare getting fined chump change.
                              They probably don't want the refs judging weather or not it was a flop in game. If they look at game tape afterwards they can be sure if the player was flopping or not. Imagine the outcry if someone lost a game because of a flop penalty that ended up not being a flop, or if a flop wasn't called. This way no-one can say anything, because the flop will be determined after the game is over.
                              .223 > 911

Comment

Working...
                              X