Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Moon throws down the race card for Cam Newton

Really???

Warren Moon does not feel as though Cam Newton is being treated with the respect he deserves. The Carolina Panthers are off to a disappointing 1-5 start this season, and Newton has not handled it well. The rough start hit its low point for Newton personally when he gave an overly dramatic postgame press conference after losing to the Cowboys last Sunday, during which he called a female reporter “sweetheart.”

While Moon, who served as an adviser to Newton last year, admits the criticism of Newton’s demeanor has been warranted, he believes race has played a role.

“I think a lot of this is because so many people want to say ‘I told you so’ about him, but couldn’t because he was so good last year,” Moon told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “I think people are overreacting. How can he be a bust? He just had one of the great years a rookie has ever had, and now he can’t play? Come on.

“I don’t understand it. I heard somebody compare him to Vince Young. It’s the same old crap – it’s always a comparison of one black to another black. I get tired of it. I get tired of defending it.”

Just because “somebody” compared him to Vince Young doesn’t mean it is an issue of race. But just in case, Moon offered up a white guy whom we should compare Newton to instead.

“If you want to compare him to someone because of his demeanor, compare him to Jay Cutler,” the Hall of Fame quarterback said. “There are a lot of guys who whine and moan. Cam’s not biting anybody’s head off or pushing his linemen. He’s just disgruntled, and not handling losing well, because, think about it, he basically didn’t lose in college.

“I don’t think Cam’s as bad as Cutler, because Cutler looks like he doesn’t give a damn sometimes, or he’s yelling and cussing at someone. Cam, he just looks down when they’re losing.”

That’s just it. Newton looks like an emotional trainwreck in some of his interviews and reportedly held up the Panthers team bus earlier this year because he was sulking over a loss. Either he’s putting on an act, or his emotional state is very fragile. Back in 2008, Young’s own mother told the public that her son was “hurting inside and out” and asked fans for support. Perhaps that is where the comparison that Moon heard stemmed from.

I’m not saying race is a complete non-factor in any and all criticism of Newton, because that’s simply not the way the world works. However, Moon has been playing this card since Newton’s character was attacked in Pro Football Weekly’s Draft Preview last year. Very few people are denying that Newton is tremendously talented. He has simply failed to carry himself like a leader this season.

Fuck that cry baby. Hes on a long list of self entitiled QBs and VY is just the last one.
    Jay Cutler, Ryan Leaf just to name a few.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

...I've heard about him a lot on the radio. Honestly though, I thought he was white...
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The reason why everyone is bagging on Cam Newton is because of his gameplay, additude, and work ethic. Heck even members of his own team have called him out. He moans and complains and acts like a spoiled baby. Shut up. Yes last year he made alot of people eat crow when people had the thought of he was going to be a bust. Just like the same way Vince Young did at first.
        Los Angeles Rams 11-5
        Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
          The reason why everyone is bagging on Cam Newton is because of his gameplay, additude, and work ethic. Heck even members of his own team have called him out. He moans and complains and acts like a spoiled baby. Shut up. Yes last year he made alot of people eat crow when people had the thought of he was going to be a bust. Just like the same way Vince Young did at first.
          Nobody ate crow. One year does not define a career. Cam is a bust. Young was a bust. RGIII is the same player. Watch and see.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Nobody ate crow. One year does not define a career. Cam is a bust. Young was a bust. RGIII is the same player. Watch and see.

Racist

Comment

Well last year as a rookie Cam looked like he was different and wasn't the same type. I was somewhat impressed on what he did last year as a rookie.
              Los Angeles Rams 11-5
              Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                Well last year as a rookie Cam looked like he was different and wasn't the same type. I was somewhat impressed on what he did last year as a rookie.
                As did Vince Young in his rookie season.

Comment

The press conference was hilarious. Cam Newton isn't used to losing and he can't deal with it. He's a cry baby, and unless he changes, he will wind up just like J. Russell, V. Young, etc. He's way too immature. Him and Dez Bryant should hang out at the mall. He has talent, he just doesn't have the mental capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                    As did Vince Young in his rookie season.
                    Michael Vick upon his return to the NFL... The list is long. Moon needs to shut the fuck up with the race card bullshit, but, almost all of these types just happen to be black. That's not to say white quarterbacks don't flop, either. That list is even longer.

We were talking about this at the bar last night. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with a lack of football IQ. You get these guys who are so ridiculously athletic. Far above average athletes. But they don't know shit about how to play the game. This is fine, in pop warner, middle school, high school, and NCAA. Then they hit the NFL, and that shit doesn't fly at this level. Youve got to be athletic, and smart. The Vicks, Youngs, and Newtons just aren't. That's exactly what it boils down to.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I follow Jason Whitlock's weekly articles and podcasts a lot. He had
                      His ten football truth this tuesdays that might relate to this topic.

Comment

Dynamic QB's don't work in the NFL cause the game is faster than it is in college. In college your not facing NFL level talent.
                        Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          ...I've heard about him a lot on the radio. Honestly though, I thought he was white...
                          A white guy named Warren Moon? lol

Comment

Working...
                          X