NFL to eliminate kickoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL to eliminate kickoffs?

sounds crazy to me but with Goodell running the show, no telling what he might do. Eliminating the Pro Bowl I am for though, have not watched in years and years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fs-report-says

Commissioner Roger Goodell recently discussed a proposal to eliminate kickoffs with Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, Time magazine reported.

HOT READ: NFL WITHOUT KICKOFFS

Goodell and McKay discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if they failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

"The fact is, it's a much different end of the play," Goodell said during the meeting, according to Time magazine.

Schiano discussed his idea earlier in the season in an ESPN The Magazine story. Schiano, who was the coach at Rutgers in 2010 when Eric LeGrand was paralyzed on a kickoff, has seen first-hand how the play can adversely affect the safety of players.

LeGrand broke two vertebrae and suffered a serious spinal cord injury in October 2010 during a kickoff return against Army. He became an inspiration to his college teammates, eventually being able to stand upright with the help of a metal frame.

Schiano told ESPN The Magazine in September that he believed kickoffs would eventually be eliminated from pro football. "I believe that day will come. Unfortunately, it will probably take more players being seriously hurt. But I think there's another way to do this."

The NFL already has been working to make kickoffs safer.

Last season, the NFL moved kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 and required the coverage unit to start within 5 yards of the ball, closing the distance between the teams. Both rules had their desired effects. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, 16.4 percent of kickoffs led to touchbacks in 2010; last year it was 43.5 percent. The NFL found that players suffered 40 percent fewer concussions on kickoffs in 2011, McKay told ESPN The Magazine.

Schiano's plan, however, would eliminate kickoffs altogether. Goodell admitted to Time magazine that the proposal is "an off-the-wall idea."

"It's different and makes you think differently. It did me."
    sigpic

hmmmm

Punting the ball is still going to require guys running at full speed in the same manner they do on a kickoff.

Comment

This is how a lot of young guys make the team

Comment

Fucking retarded
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Fucking retarded
          I know. At least put it at the 50 so the other team isn't in field goal range if you don't convert the 4th and 15.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            I know. At least put it at the 50 so the other team isn't in field goal range if you don't convert the 4th and 15.
            Put it at the fifty, have 11 guys at each end zone, blow the whistle and let them kill each other to get to it.

Or maybe just turn the sport into fucking Quidditch like Goodell wants.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              40-45, since that's where the other team tends to get the ball when an onside kick fails. But it really puts the other team at a huge disadvantage against a good punter with good coverage - you just gave up a scoring drive, and now you could be starting your next drive from your own goal line.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Once again, this is the pussification of America. Dont play football if you are afraid of getting hurt.

Comment

OK so am I reading this right? Here is a scenario....

Team A has run down the field and finds themselves at Team B's 40 yard line on a 4th down situation. Instead of punting it from there, they will be backed up 30 yards to their own 30 and it will be 4th and 15???? So they just lose 30 yards they earned?

Comment

I'm sure the punters are for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post

Team A has run down the field and finds themselves at Team B's 40 yard line on a 4th down situation. Instead of punting it from there, they will be backed up 30 yards to their own 30 and it will be 4th and 15???? So they just lose 30 yards they earned?
                      No, this is to replace kickoffs. Your punting scenario would not apply, it would remain the same as it always as been. So, Team A scores a TD. Team A then lines up on their own 30 yd line, and it's 4th and 15. They can punt from the 30, or go for the first down. Going for the first down would be equivalent to an onside kick. Punting would be the equivalent to the kickoff after the TD.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post

It's the start of the game. Team A won the toss and elected to "kick off." They can either punt the ball to Team B, from Team A's 30, or they can try one play to advance the ball to the 45 yard line and continue on with a drive of their own.

Comment

Quick fingered faggot. Go back to taunting choochoo.

Comment

Someone needs to kick that fucker out of the league.

Comment

It also removes the element of surprise for the sneak onside kick. It's either line up for 4th and 15 with your best offensive players, or line up in a punt formation and hope that whoever throws the ball can get it 20+ yards in the air.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X